Saying numbers

How do you read numbers?
All my life I say hundreds as say for example 110 = one hundred and ten or 254 as two hundred and fifty three. So when I heard the kids omitting the ‘and’ I was like what, are the kids wrong or I? should I correct them or is this an Americanism? Should I change how I say it so as to not confuse them? I mean I’ve never noticed any other native speaker reading numbers like that.

I asked another teacher and she said that’s how she was taught. I guess it is an Americanism, but a regional one? How do you say them?

It could be; it certainly sounds correct without the “and” to me.

I’m American and I almost always omit the “and.”

110 for me is “one ten” or “one hundred ten.” 254 is “two fifty four” or “two hundred fifty four.” Most of the time I go with the former. The shorter the better, IMO.

I suppose I should specify that I have a “midwestern” accent/manner of speaking, which is sort of a non-accent, in a way. I also say “y’all” a lot. Just cuz it’s a good contraction. And “ain’t.” For fun.

It’s even weirder with years. I was born in nineteen seventy, but my daughter was born in two thousand and ten.

I say twenty ten!

I only bother with “two thousand” for the aughts. Two thousand nine, two thousand one, and so on.

Okay, next up: how do you all parse phone numbers?

Phone numbers are usually in threes. I believe it’s due to the maximum most brains can remember short term.

I think you may have bigger problems than English. :sunglasses:

I was just pretending to be retarded!

1 Like

Maybe acting is your true calling. :grin:

For me it depends.

256 is two hundred and fifty six
year? 2019 - twenty nineteen
Ontario highways - 401 - four oh one 427 - four twenty seven

huh i always say
110 is “nine dozen and two”
254 is “a little under six hundred”
but when people use the ‘and’ i also understand so all the same really