Scams you've seen

I thought this might be an interesting topic. I find scams fascinating and like to watch how scammers operate. I figure many of us have seen various scams out and about (not limited to Taiwan) and some might be worth sharing.

Here is one to get going:

London, Oxford Street, Summer 2001.

I was walking along and right in the middle of the sidewalk was a small table with various consumer type goods like digital cameras, CD players, mini TVs, watches etc etc.
There was 2 guys. One on a loud speaker announcing a liquidation sale, closing down sale, all those sorts of things. The other guy was holding up the various products while the guy on the microphone was saying stuff like “Would you like the opportunity to buy this Mobile phone for 5 Quid? The auction starts in 10 minutes”.

These guys were standing in front of what looked like an empty shop. Like a place gone bust. There wasn’t much in it except for a raised counter along the back wall with a few piles of boxes here and there, and a door going “out the back”. The glass doors to the street were open.

There was a small crowd gathering and as it got bigger the guy behind the small table would slowly move it backwards, in very small increments toward the open door. As more people gathered, he would move it back a little more.

Right away I thought this was dodgy as shit, and decided to have a look later on and see what was going on.
When I passed by half an hour later, the glass doors were shut and inside was a huge crowd of I guess 60-70 people and they were actually running an auction. And people were buying stuff and leaving. No one was allowed in once the auction started.

I was pretty intrigued by this. I felt like I’d missed my chance to check out this dodgy auction, so went over the road to have a coffee. I could watch it all happening from the window.
Anyway, eventually, everyone streamed out and left. About 15 mins later they set up the table again with the stuff on it, and the guy started his pitch again. I thought this time I would take a closer look, but luckily for me I’d seen the cycle and figured I could watch it thru once more without giving anyone any money just to see what happens.
So I was in the crowd, and I watched as people picked up the stuff looked at it, called up their mates etc. The crowd grew and the table was moved slowly inside until the stuff was eventually gather up and put onto the large raised counter at the back and the small table was packed away.
There was a fair bit of hype about the auction starting in x amount of minutes and the guy said it is a closed auction so the doors will be shut during bidding etc etc.

The doors were closed and the auction got underway.
So I watched the routine. More and more goods were brought out and held up for a few seconds. The guy said something like “if you want the chance to buy this for 5 quid, then raise your hand now”. Most people raised their hands. Anyone that didn’t was singled out by the auctioneer and asked why they didn’t want to buy it for such a low price. The auctioneer said he would only sell goods to people who raised their hands from now on. So, those people who didn’t raise their hands were basically told they were wasting their time being there,and were welcome to leave.
It was very intimidating, but I figured I had to see it thru. I raised my hand. Some people left.
The crowd got smaller and moved in. The next item up for bid the same thing was said. The auctioneer picked out one person who wanted a discman for 5 quid, and the deal was done. The guy paid his money, was given his box, and then he went on his way out onto the street.
It seemed that you had to fight to buy this stuff for a bargain.
I think it happened again to another guy.
Then they moved up a notch and got into bigger stuff like stereos and DVD players. The auctioneer asked for hands who wanted to be able to buy this stuff for whatever the low price was. He then went on to say that buyers had to get a bidding voucher for 5 pounds to be able to bid. So about 10 people or so paid their 5 quid. They figured if they were going to save 100 quid on a product, then what is 5 quid. Oh, the auctioneer said the voucher cost was fully deductible from any goods won at auction. At this point, I didn’t buy one of these vouchers, but those that did had to hold them up. All of those people were told to come forward, and those without couldn’t bid and had to step back or leave. Some people left, but I figured I might as well stick around.
So the bidding carried on, bigger products, bigger money. They started bundling several boxes together and the bidding would go higher. Some guy won the bundle, handed over his money, and they stuffed all the boxes into a black polythene rubbish bag which the guy then walked out with.
I could see the remaining bidders were hyped to the max. The Auctioneer was a real showman. Full of funny jokes about people in the crowd, or stories about how this or that ‘fell off the back of a truck’. Of course he would also bully some people, so it was a pretty weird sort of atmosphere.

To proceed, bidders now needed to buy vouchers worth 15 pounds. Some people started to get pissed off, and the auctioneer ridiculed them and basically told them to leave if they didn’t want to bid. I was amazed that there were people willing to buy the 15 pound vouchers even when they hadn’t got anything so far.
More bidding, huge bundles, big money (but still a 'bargain). “1000 pounds worth of stuff for 80” and eventually some guy won it. And again, the stuff was bundled into a black bag and the guy would leave.
Then the guy announced the auction was over. As soon as he did that the doors to the street we flung open. From out of nowhere ‘staff’ seemed to be ushering people out of the shop. There seemed to be a pretty big presence of big guys in leather Jackets and sunglasses all around the place telling people to leave. If needed, they would grit their teeth and quietly say “Fuck OFF”. Obviously a few people were pretty pissed off, but most figured they were conned and decided to get the hell out of there. So, I left, really trying to get my head around what I saw.
I went back over to the coffee shop and watched the place to see if they were going to run another auction. At that point it seemed to me that to get this stuff, you needed to be the top bidder, otherwise you’d lose the 5 or 15 quid. Then I saw a familiar face. The guy that bought the bundle of stuff at the end brought it back, and then they unpacked it into the cartons at the back and they all stood around having a smoke. Holy Shit, NOW it all made sense.

I was due to meet a friend anyway, so when I caught up with him, I told him about the scam. His first reaction was “there is NO WAY anyone would get sucked in like that would they?”. So, sure enough, the table appears again and the 2 guys started their routine.
I urged my mate to check this out for himself. He said he wanted me to go with him. I grabbed his laptop bag and slung it over my shoulder and we headed over. This time I stayed right up the back and leaned against the wall.
Exactly the same routine took place, and by this point I was keen to get the hell out of there as soon as it ended.
As it finished, I turned to leave and the auction guy pointed right at me and YELLED “Hey you, stay right there!!!”
Obviously, I needed to get out to the street at least. I briskly walked out outside and soon enough about 3 of these big bastards were around me saying “What the FUCK are you doing mate?, Do you want to get yourself killed” and shit like this. I was freaking out a bit. The auctioneer guy came out and grabbed my arm and tried to pull me back in, and I said “DONT fucking touch me” He asked to see into my laptop bag. I refused. I was worried they would swipe my mate’s stuff. He was saying “It’s just a laptop”, but they wanted to see inside. The heavies closed in a bit and everything was getting pretty weird. The the auctioneer guy said “Are you filming me?”. We unzipped the bag and showed him the laptop and then they just said “Fuck off. Don’t fucking come back OK?” along with the typical gangster type of grimace.
We quickly walked off along oxford street and turned around to see one of the heavies was following us. By this point, there were people EVERYWHERE, so it was very difficult to tell who was who, and if we were being followed at all. We got to the Tube and made a couple of tricky train switches on the way home just to be sure.

Made for an interesting afternoon.

Anyone else?

That’s a great story, Truant.

I couldn’t tell from the way you wrote the post, though, was the “I” in that story actually you (Truant) or were you just giving us an example of a scam story told from a first person pespective?

Either way, very interesting.

I remember listening to a podcast/radio show interviewing an author (as I recall) describing his book on the original “Ponzi Scheme” executed by Charles Ponzi. Wikipedia has an okay description of Ponzi, but the full story I listened to in this documentary was even better. I will try to remember where I found that… sounds like you’d be as interested in hearing it as I was.

-H

I lost five pounds in basically the same scam in Leeds once. Ended up getting a bottle of crappy perfume for my money – not quite sure how that happened.

[quote=“Hobbes”]That’s a great story, Truant.

I couldn’t tell from the way you wrote the post, though, was the “I” in that story actually you (Truant) or were you just giving us an example of a scam story told from a first person pespective?

Either way, very interesting.

I remember listening to a podcast/radio show interviewing an author (as I recall) describing his book on the original “Ponzi Scheme” executed by Charles Ponzi. Wikipedia has an okay description of Ponzi, but the full story I listened to in this documentary was even better. I will try to remember where I found that… sounds like you’d be as interested in hearing it as I was.

-H[/quote]
Yeah, it was actually me, and it is written as much as I could recall it. I am sure I have forgotten some details, but even right at the time my head was spinning trying to figure out just how these people were being ripped off until it all came together. I was very close to paying my 5 quid too, btw.

Actually that makes sense. I think I remember the ‘voucher’ included a ‘free’ knock-off plastic watch or something like that.

Indeed, interesting story from Truant. Got some stories, too:

When I was living in Malaysia some paper money scam was quite common, usually executed by Africans: they would approach certain people (mostly locals I think) and usher them into some corner to show them a bundle of paper. Then they would wash the paper with some liquid and voila you get a US Dollars bill. Eventually you are offered to purchase the expensive liquid for your own use.
Not sure if it was the same as the ‘black money scam’ or if they just claimed that it magically turns white paper into bills.

Anyhow, obviously anyone with a bit of common sense would know it’s a scam, but then again there are people like my colleague, let’s call him S. He was impressed and thought it’s an easy way to make money, so he wanted to buy a huge quantity of the stuff for which he would have to fly to Africa (can’t recall which country). You guessed it, S. did indeed apply for 2 weeks leave and went on a holiday. But he didn’t come back after 2 weeks. R. then told me that S. had contacted him - he had gotten himself into a bit of touble and needed money, and if I recall correctly R. paid for it.
As the story goes the guys with the “magic” demanded more money and held him at gun point, a dead body in the neighbouring room supposingly helped to convince him. So R. organized that another colleague and friend of S. had to fly to Africa and bail him out, and they both returned a week later or so.

Partially based on hear-say but I can attest to the fact that the guy was not the smartest and that he did extend his “holiday”, without notifying his immediate superior (which was me).
As well my friend and colleague (R.) that told me the story is not the type of guy that makes things up. Or maybe was it him that got conned?

On the Canary Islands I watched guys on the street conning tourists: 3 rubber pads, one marked, would be shuffled around. Usually they used a small table or cartoon box and a folded newspaper on which the pads are placed.
Similar to the track-the-Ace card trick they would show the 3 pads and point out the one was marked. They are then placed on the newspaper and moved, first slowly, then more quickly. Once in a while he would ask people to place a bet, and some would indeed win. Didn’t long to figure out that those winning were part of the con, and when unsuspecting tourists played they would loose. Even they got it right by pointing on the pad they had to show their money first, and once they started to look into their wallets the guy would simply turn the newspaper by 180 degrees (obviously the marked pad would need to be either left or right, not in the middle).
As people are not paying attention while taking the money out they would not see that the paper had been turned, and, being so certain they got it right, they would not listen to the other people when they try to tell him that the marked pad is now on the right instead on the left (or vice versa). Quite smart, and it cost me around EUR25 to figure it out. :laughing:

Ha Ha! I have a very similar story, except I was sitting outside a pub watching and didn’t actually go into the “auction,” mainly because I already knew about that scam.
The best thing about the one I saw, though, was that it was being run by Eastern Europeans in Inverness – pretty recent immigrants I think – and they had VASTLY overestimated the “intimidatingness” of their heavies.
If you want to scam enormous hairy-toed highland farm boys and girls, you better be H-A-R-D. Leather jackets and sunglasses simply don’t cut the mustard. Their game was spotted pretty quickly, but fortunately for the scammers, the police were called and they were hustled off in a couple of vans before they got too badly beaten by irate shoppers.
Interesting lunchtime entertainment, though.

In Hanoi had trouble starting my rented motorbike for just a moment, when this guy suddenly came running over to give me a hand, to my surprise. He looks here, looks there, pokes this, pokes that, apparently a concerned bystander trying to help out. I was startled by his sudden appearance and didn’t wave him away. He tells me to kick it again, and again, and it doesn’t start. So then he grabs hold and wheels it up to his motorbike repair stand that happens to be on the sidewalk right there. As he does that I suddenly realize, what the. . . as I look down where he’s been poking around and I realize he has removed the cap from the spark plug. I put it back on, give it a kick, the bike starts right up, and off I go, chuckling at him as he tries to act innocent.

Many times in Thailand, tuk-tuk drivers have told me they don’t have change (expecting me to say “keep it”). Same thing happened once in Beijing with a cabbie. It’s also happened in Taiwan, but it’s usually true, so I or they go in 7-11 for change.

In Saigon a ladyboy suddenly waltzed up beside me out of nowhere and draped his arm around mine, as I was walking down the street with a friend. I knew instantly he was up to no good.
“Hello, what’s your name,” he asked.
“Get away,” I replied, pushing him forcefully away.
But he clutched tightly to my arm and said, “I just want to be your friend,” or something like that.
I pushed again, but he clutched tighter, his arm wrapped close around mine. I jutted my butt away from him so he couldn’t snatch my wallet, while again pushing to break him off.
“Get away,” I said, giving him a shove and finally breaking him loose.
Putting my hand to my back pocket I was relieved that my wallet was still there.
It was only a few seconds later that I realized. . . what the?!?!?!. . . as I looked at my wrist and saw my watch was gone.
“That fucker,” I cried out and went running in the direction he had gone, frantically looking this way and that, but he was gone, with my watch. It only took seconds and I knew immediately he was a scammer, but he was good and I was thinking of my wallet, not my watch. Fortunately, it was a cheap travel watch.

Oh, I forgot one that I played a major part in:

Same time as above, during a holiday with a friend in the Canary Islands, we were walking back from the supermarket when an old and crippled lady approached us. She blocked our path and offered some flowers for sale. Of course we refused at first but she somehow made it understood that she wanted only very little money.
I thought it’s the fastes way to get rid of her and took out my wallet, offering her some small amount (say, NTD20) but she refused. So I increased and she refused again, instead she quickly took out a coin from my wallet that was worth even less, and held it up to show me. I agreed, took the flower, put my wallet back and we continued walking.

After a few meters I had this bad feeling and stopped. I took out my wallet and sure enough, all the paper money was gone - just the day I had been to the ATM.
I dropped my shopping back, told my friend to stay put and started running into the direction we came from. Around the next corner was a bus stop and there she was, not looking so old and fragile anymore (she wasn’t crippled actually, she just pretended earlier). I confronted her, demanding my money back. Of course she denied any wrong doing at first so I threatened her with “Policia!” (and some slapping perhaps :blush: ). She then took out the money and gestured I dropped it, but eventually handed it over. As I got it back and didn’t want to bother with the police there I left it at that.

Worst are the taxis in Hanoi when you pick / stop them yourself; not only do they want to keep the change and demand a ‘hong bao’ during the Tet season on top of it, but they also cheat with the meter so that it runs faster or the amount increases more than what’s normal.

I had exactly the same encounter as truant, right down to the last detail, in a shop premises in Canterbury.

The guys who ran it used to come in our pub, and I’d ask them lots of questions about it. One of the guys told me that there were a number of things at play, but mostly it was all about psychology. That’s all he would say. And that the practice is actually legal.

Glad you got out OK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0orfzAZWeOI

[quote=“Stray Dog”]I had exactly the same encounter as truant, right down to the last detail, in a shop premises in Canterbury.

The guys who ran it used to come in our pub, and I’d ask them lots of questions about it. One of the guys told me that there were a number of things at play, but mostly it was all about psychology. That’s all he would say. And that the practice is actually legal.

Glad you got out OK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0orfzAZWeOI[/quote]
Good clip Stray Dog. Those ‘Real Hustle’ vids are great.