Scenes Missing in Harry Potter DVD Taiwan edition

I was watching the first Harry Potter movie on ABC-Family (TV) here in the US. I was surprised see at several scenes that were not present on my DVD.
None of these scenes were really important to the plot. They just served to introduce the setting. But still, I did feel a bit cheated.

Is there a web site that details the differences in the different editions of a movie released throughout the world? Can a movie be made better by shortening it?

A.) Was your DVD the official, legal Warner Bros. release?

B.) There is a possibility that deleted scenes were re-inserted for television broadcast to pad out its playing time to fit into a specific time slot.

C.) Some scenes in films are not up to the network’s censors’ standards and alternate, tv versions are created by the Hollywood Studios, often utilizing alternate takes, angles and replacign scenes altogether.

I don’t really care much about Potter, but I did ask around and a friend at Warner Bros. Home Video didn’t know anything about it.

I know this is barely relevant to the topic but I really don’t like the harry potter movies. I never read the books so i can’t comment on them.

I think that they expected you to have read the books because to me they didn’t bother developing any of the characters in the movies to make you like them. I just kept watching and stuff was happening but they never did anything to make me care about the characters. I didn’t dislike the badguys or feel like rooting for the good guys. I was just sitting there looking at the special effects which were average.

[quote=“Ian_Alexander”]I know this is barely relevant to the topic but I really don’t like the harry potter movies. I never read the books so I can’t comment on them.

I think that they expected you to have read the books because to me they didn’t bother developing any of the characters in the movies to make you like them. I just kept watching and stuff was happening but they never did anything to make me care about the characters. I didn’t dislike the badguys or feel like rooting for the good guys. I was just sitting there looking at the special effects which were average.[/quote]

This is what we call trolling. Barely relevant? How about, not at all relevant. There is a discussion for this topic. Try search next time.
[doh]

Allow me to follow your pointed out off-topicness with some more :smiley:.

I fell asleep seeing the first movie the first time. Way later I read the books and was like “This Harry Potter shit is pretty cool.” Then I watched the first movie again (and again) and fell asleep everytime. The parts I stay up for are all pretty cool, don’t know why that happens.

Ah well.