Schizophrenia patients in society

If you go libraries there are a lot of weirdos women and men too. Not schizophrenia I guess but bloody weird acting and full of problems. I don’t know where this middle age weird people get money.

2 Likes

They’re in the bloody library? Why do they need bloody money?

1 Like

It seems to be a tradition in cities everywhere. The bums hang out in the big libraries.

Might have something to do with the Internet making libraries obsolete for their original purpose. Project Gutenberg and Wikipedia largely killed libraries for me. Don’t even need those old Harvard Classics anymore.

1 Like

Library toilets are fucking terrifying.

2 Likes

If you had schizophrenia, you wouldn’t be claiming to be schizophrenic (unless, of course, you were being successfully treated).

They’re probably just attention-seeking nutters (as per @Hanna 's observation).

There do seem to be a disproportionate number of people with personality disorders, particularly women with BPD or a similar Cluster B affliction. Psychoses, less so. But as rowland said, “care in the community” is a thing here, just as in Europe, so you may come across them occasionally.

1 Like

@DrewC didn’t you say you lived in Florida? Seeing crazy people talking to themselves and random objects is a daily thing there lol.

1 Like

… Point taken. But Florida is a “special” case.

1 Like

“Care in the community.” A wonderfully Orwellian euphemism. It takes a village to ignore a lunatic.

And they still haven’t got a pill for all those malignant narcissistic snowflakes.

It’s called free aircon. :grinning:

2 Likes

So honestly speaking who would share a room with a non blood related schizophrenic ? Would you hide the kitchen knives at night?

I suppose i should mention that there is no objective test for schizophrenia, which raises the question whether it’s actually a thing.

It would also explain why they can’t find a cure. And why the drugs don’t seem to work all that well.

Some people are just messed up. It may comfort us to put a medical-sounding diagnostic label on them and then wring our hands over the need for more health care, but that’s got nothing to do with reality. Health care is for specific diseases, not something this vague.

1 Like

Alright so what to do with the messed up people , let them roam free amongst women and children or lock them up in church or asylum?

I really don’t mean to be unsympathetic …I am sure it needs to be addressed… but remember, there is always a home for messed up people on Forumosa

2 Likes

Bit harsh methinks. Obviously a large amount of people ( 23 million) who may suffer from this …whatever label you may ascribe to the condition , I don’t think you can write it off as phychosomatic in many cases …although that may be exactly what is is …now I am confused?

The point is, it’s not a proper medical condition in any concrete, objective sense.

It’s just crazy people being crazy. And when you think about it, this is way less judgmental than pretending you know exactly what’s wrong with somebody.

It’s nothing more or less than the far edge of the human condition.

I know three schizophrenics. Two of which are now dead, and my brother who has been MIA for almost a year.
In some other societies, in other times, schizos weren’t as ostracized, but valued members of the community. These symptoms were often revered as spiritual gifts and the people that exhibited them were sometimes elevated to shaman or medicine man. In modern society, these things are not valued and schizos are shunned from the community. I really believe this is where it becomes a disorder. I lived with my bro after he was full-blown tin hat. I heard his conversations with his demons. Those guys (2, a man and a woman) were real SOBs. If there was any way to curb the meanness of those voices, he may not be in the shape he is in now. My bro actually likes being schizo; he’s made peace with it. He calls himself a ‘tuner’ and likes having deep conversations with other ‘tuners’. Of course he has a hard time finding them since they are often drunk or blasted out of their gourd with street drugs in an attempt to self medicate.
I have another friend who is a true believer in Julian Jaynes’ theory on bicameral voices. His take is that schizos are a throwback in consciousness evolution. This is too complicated to get into here, but is curious nonetheless.
Here is an interesting read on one father’s experience with his son’s schizophrenia and how they decided to best handle it.

3 Likes

Every complaint that doesn’t have a concrete, physical cause is psychosomatic by definition.

You may argue that X has a physical cause Y and we just haven’t found Y yet. But when researchers have been looking for decades and still haven’t found Y, this argument starts to wear thin.

Psychopharmacology comes way too close to snake oil for my comfort. Oh, and by the way… there were times when snake oil actually worked. These drugs should be cheaply available, because they’re not worth all that much.

Then there’s this…

https://sunrisehouse.com/treating-schizophrenia-disorder/compare-drug-induced-psychosis/

The problem with saying A=B is when the definitions of A and B are vague the equation becomes meaningless.

Now the definition of “crazy” is broad, but its boundaries are well defined. That’s not imprecise, just non-specific.

There was a psychologist - whose name completely escapes me at the moment - who developed this into a fairly robust theory in the 70s.

Jung has a lot to say about “voices” and the dissociation of the Self; well worth reading, if you haven’t already. He himself drifted around the suburbs of psychosis and considered it a positive experience.

you must remember how LSD was discovered in the first place. It has been a schedule I ever since and research essentially halted. so the proclamation that

doesn’t hold any water.
Besides, life is psychosomatic, so I don’t give 2 shits. Mind. Body. 1s. 0s. 差不多

Maybe you are sharing a 7-11 lol

1 Like