Schizophrenia patients in society

In your opinion are there a lot of schizophrenic women walking the island or am I just delusional. I’ve bumped into a lot who claim to have the affliction and a lot who show outward symptoms of it.

I have not met any schizophrenic people in Taiwan. I don’t think I have met any noticeably schizophrenic people ever.

I generally notice OCD or ADD/ADHD.

2 Likes

Wait, I have seen one person having a full-on conversation with themselves while walking around near a hospital. But that was a young man.

How do you know I hit the reply button three times every time? You’re looking through the shades of my window, aren’t you?

There is one near where I work, but hard to say an exact diagnosis. She’s looks to be 35-45yo, talks to herself, sometimes laughs (always quietly) and almost always smiling. But she has that look in her eyes where you definitely know she is not seeing “reality” the same way.

I have to assume she cuts her own hair, because if a hair stylist did that then he/she should be in an asylum.

3 Likes

There is an asylum in Taipei, but as always in Asian society most of the responsibility rests on the family to look after nearly each one of them.

The last obvious case I saw was a young man in Xinzhuang, he goes to the same park every day and scares the kids. He is harmless but all the parents go into defensive mode the first time they see him.

Agree with @Hanna on OCD/ADD. Loads of those.

In terms of functioning in society, never.

I’ve only ever seen crazy people on the street. But you see crazy people on the street in every country. And there’s no way to know if it’s schizophrenia or something else going on.

Always check for a bluetooth ear bud.

Those things induce symptoms of schizophrenia.

2 Likes

I cut mine, it looks good apart from the mullet that I can’t get to. My 100NT a pop barber closed down so I’ll fine another fine establishment

1 Like

um, no one sees reality the same way. We all perceive “objective reality” through subjective perceptions. Everything feels different to different people.

Also even the sanest person can experience benign hallucinations.

Could be right I got PTSD from playing battlefield 2, I’d wake up after having nightmares and the noises of Apache helicopters finding my snipers nest.

That’s insane

Sounds like business in the front, schizophrenic Billy Ray Cyrus in the back…:sweat_smile:

I used to buzz my hair short when i lived in the States. Definitely did not get compliments.

But the 100NT places in Taiwan are a blessing for my wallet. Luckily i have one within walking distance to the office.

2 Likes

Oliver Sachs was permanently worried he’d be sectioned in his own institution because he realized that a lot of his own behaviours could be seen as eccentric.

1 Like

I guess being a psychiatrist must have some negative effects on the psychiatrist’s mental health.

2 Likes

Yes I know and that is why i put ‘reality’ with quote marks. I just didn’t want to get into the swampland that is a discussion about reality.

But totally understand your point for sure and I agree.

I’ve encountered a few. I saw a woman having a full-blown argument with herself… in two different voices. There was also another woman who lived in a neighborhood near where I worked… she was disheveled and would sing opera to herself as she walked down the alley. I saw her get into a screaming argument with an empty parked car, hitting it repeatedly.

Taiwan, like anywhere, has people with mental issues.

But, yes, let’s get into that swampland. Let’s get filthy muddy.

“It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.”

“We don’t need to lock them up! We’ll just give them these nifty drugs!”

“They’re not taking the drugs.”

“Oh. We hadn’t thought of that.”

2 Likes