Hey dudes,

I am a Canadian & USA citizen(dual citizen) who has a BA. I heard the Taiwanese government has been easily handing out a lot of scholarship money. I the greedy bastard that I am want in on it. Where to I go? What do I need to do…Is it easy? how much $$$$$$ can I get from it?
Is it worth the hassle?
I would ne so appreciative of your kind and helpful replies. THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Happy Friday!!!1

Ok I have to ask, are you a surfer?

I don’t know about North America, but in Switzerland you can get one through your university. It was quite easy, because at my Uni there were 3 scholarships offered per year and all the other students wanted to go to mainland. So now they cut it down to 1 scholarship only per year.

If you’re in Taiwan, you can apply for one with the ministry of education if you have already studied half a year at a Uni in Taiwan. It’s not as easy cause you have to pass an exam and compete with all the Japanese :unamused:

I thought it was so easy…Cant I get one just for being white skinned and willing to take the time to study Chinese. I know I sound like an idiot but I heard it was that easy in a nut shell. Anybody with a BA degree could get like 25000 a month if they would attend Univ. IT CAN’T BE THAT EASY, can it Taiwan? lol Anybody know the scoop?

Not that I know of…sorry.

Even if you get the scholarship without having previously studies Chinese at your Uni before, once you’re in Taiwan taking classes you will have to attend them and get a certain degree. Otherwise, you won’t get the full amount of money… :wink:

Oh, it might be easier for a Mainland scholarship, but probably things have changed in the past 8 years?!

You honestly thought they were going “Hey, you’re white and want to learn Chinese! Here’s some free money?” Are you stoned?

I have also heard this, from my irate Japanese classmates in Chinese class. I believe what you are talking about (and what they were definitely talking about) is the scholarships you can get when you study at one of the language schools RUN by a university. In other words, it’s not really a university class – the classes don’t lead to a degree. Shida, for example. Yes, it’s a university, but the training center where foreigners go to study Chinese is not offering university classes.
You CAN get scholarships for these classes. You go for a while, and then write a test. Scholarships are allotted according to country; because there are a lot of students from Japan, Japanese students are less likely to get a scholarship – more competition. Thus my classmates anger. In the higher level classes, I have heard that it IS easy for someone from a Western country to get one, simply because there are so few from the West at the same level.
I knew one high school dropout from Canada who, though no academic genius, had no trouble getting one, for the reasons outlined above.

The RUMOR is that it’s easy for Americans to get the scholarship. You have to study for 6 months, have at least an 85 average, and take a test. Of course, according to the RUMORS in Taiwan, I have a 12 inch _____ and slept with a different Taiwanese beauty every night while I was there. Yeah, that one’s true :smiley:

‘Interesting’ combination of passports. Kind of like having Aussie and Kiwi passports. Not very creative :laughing:

Two years ago I studied at Wen Hua Da Xue on a scholarship for 3 months.

Scholarships granted in the UK are administered by the British Association for Chinese Studies I don’t know how many are available in the UK. The process is fairly simple. You have to be enrolled on a degree course in Chinese, fill in a 2 page form and get 2 teachers to write a reference. Since there aren’t many people studying Chinese in the UK your chances are good.

While I was studying my classmates applied for a scholarship from MOE, administered by Wen Hua Da Xue. They had to fill in a form, sit an exam and have an interview. Also there were many more applicants than places.

So for us UK people applying at home is definately far easier. YMMV

bababa, have they changed the rules at shi da? when I was there in 2002, the tests were taken by everyone EQUALLY. Which meant that, given there were far more Japanese and Korean students, and that the written part of the test, in general, was easier for them than for native speakers of european languages, and also they usually did not work while in Taiwan (meaning much more time to study), they generally received more scholarships.

Back then, in opposition to your classmates theory, the theory for westerners taking the test was “don’t bother-you won’t get it anyway”

By the way, I am referring to the scholarships given by shi da after you have studied for at least 6 months, not scholarships given by universities overseas.

The after-six-month only 6 month duration scholarships, are given out by the ministry of Education twice a year. And scholarships are given out in inproportion to the region you come from, ie. more to Korea/Japan, but always some to SA, NA, Europe and the like. So if you’re from Africa your set.

The 1-year (extendable) ones this guy’s talking about are from the MOFA and must be applied/recieved through your local TECO before setting foot in taiwan. Money dependant on where your from, and sometimes being the only “whitey” to apply in a derth of taiwanese immigrant children can help, as the final decision is up to the director of that TECO’s cultural division. But this is only if you apply ontime, submit the truckloads of tests, letters of recommendation, and transcripts, and write some decent articles.

All scholarships are only usable with acceptable attendance (not a factor at TLI I hear), 10/week minimum, and only at ministry approved schools(nothing to do with universities as said above).

But now that I think of it why am I helping an idiot like you who simply wants to “get some free money man…”?? :wall: ??? This island is way way past its quota of english teachers fitting your description already. Go to China and make it a better place.

here’s a link to HSK scholarship information: … 133#msg133