School Closure/Open information (new semester from Sep. 1)

Yep. That’s why you need to set the tone now. Before your school lets them pass for doing nothing. I kicked them out if they didn’t turn on or respond.

2 Likes

Zoom. They cannot.

To each their own, but I prefer not to talk to myself for an hour. I enjoy student feedback and having them discuss the material with each other. Otherwise how do you know if they’re even learning? As my TESOL mentor once told me “be the guide on the side, not the sage on the stage.” Unfortunately this online format makes that a lot more difficult.

3 Likes

I told them they get a mark of deduction against their participation grade each time I ask a specific student a question that goes unanswered. I considered trying to enforce a cameras-on rule, but i wasn’t confident I could get them to abide and if you have even a few holdouts then it makes you look weak in their eyes.

That’s all well and fine if they WANT to learn. Unfortunately, most of my classes are compulsory, and 90% of them are sitting there thinking “Why the fuck am I being forced to do this? I’m never going to need English in my life.” Try being “the guide on the side” there. Stony silence. Everyone thinking “When is this going to be over so I’m allowed to play with my phone again?” My Media Studies and Public Relations classes are great. Interactive, because they chose to be there. Freshman English? Not even nearly on the same level, so I’m quite happy to be the “sage on the stage”.

1 Like

Well yes, that’s the problem with online classes. It’s much easier to prompt (or at least embarrass) them into conversation when you’re face to face in the classroom.

1 Like

Kick them out and then call their mom and tell them why they’re pissing away good money.

I should have clarified that I’m not teaching, so I value quick efficiency overall in web meetings.

Today, they graded-up their demands and parents were directed to do more things during classes to help kids. Some have more than one low-graders.

I wonder any parents managed to work at home today.

1 Like

The parents are now expected to do the teachers job of class management. The teacher just has to teach and lesson plan.

Ha… you should teach third graders. I have to keep them muted except when answering questions or in small groups.

I allow them to all turn on their mics for a few seconds at the beginning and end of the class for greetings and they love it! Chaos! :blush:

2 Likes

I have no confidence in learning taking place right now.

I had three siblings growing up. One is now a teacher in the US. Her advice to me was something like “good luck keeping anyone’s attention. They don’t even show up after a few days”. Sure enough… we have multiple kids who suddenly don’t have functioning wifi. Call the parents right away and they’re like “oh idk. It’s not working haha. Maybe we can try tomorrow”. I brought this up with my own mom and she said something like “yeah, do you really think I’d be making any effort if there were four of you trying to do your school work online while both of us parents were trying to do our income-earning work from home as well? I’d have decided that you’d all be taking a gap year”. We’re not even a week in in Taiwan and I’d say most of our class’s parents are confident this school year ended a month and a half early this year

1 Like

Yup. Yup to all. You wouldn’t believe the amount of bs they put us through in our district. As taxing as the entire situation is, they made it worse, and yes, your sister was correct. The kids won’t show, or they’ll show up eating breakfast or playing video games, and the parents will not will not watch them 24/7.

Yet, your bosses will expect even more of you bc like, you’re getting paid. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

My kids seem to like it. The oldest one said it’s easier to concentrate online without all the distractions in a normal classroom. It could all change in a hurry though. Luckily we have hard drives with the full year’s classes recorded from some of the best teachers to supplement their online learning.

1 Like

This is the pat on the back post then. You’re right. Some kids do much better because their personalities are better suited to focused content and instruction and imho that is a reflection on the parents/guardians.

The problem becomes more apparent when the online classes fall into ordered chaos and the teachers are trying to engage with ALL the moving little screen bodies and not the lesson itself. I’ll tell you the same thing I told every parent on my street when this started here, in NY, last year.

Home school. The reading and math skills district wide are now abysmal, falling from catastrophic.

I wish I could take credit for it, lol.
It must be the wife.

I’m sure having used the pre-recorded lessons on the hard drive with the teachers using digital whiteboards for a year before this happened made it easier too.

1 Like

Families are in dire need of support.

Sad story about a family suicide, because of poor financial situation.

3 Likes

Very sad, indeed.
:cry:

I see the thread’s title has been updated from 5/28 to 6/11. Did I miss an announcement? Anyone got a link for it?

Not yet confirmed

2 Likes

The government needs to hurry the hell up and roll out some supports !!!

2 Likes