School Closure/Open information (new semester from Sep. 1)

Yup I cannot see it ending for quite a while. I think parents will be asking for discounts and can get online teachers from anywhere around the world. I can see a lot of schools breaking. Keep an eye on the big chains like Hess, if they go under pretty much every school will be going under. This is a great time for private online teachers to get students.

3 Likes

Huh?

My year 4 daughter isn’t receiving any online teaching. She’s just getting online homework to do.

2 Likes

School sent some toys and education material for my 5yo and 3yo. Now it’s up to the parents to use it or not.
There’s also a Line group of the parents, where we set up daily group calls, so the kids can chat for 30min and let the parents take a rest. It’s a very nice idea!

3 Likes

The young kids can finish the whole two weeks worth of homework in one sitting. The older kids should know how to do everything by themselves by now.

One elementary student, one junior high student and one high school student here.

The high school style is the best. Just normal classes at the normal time online.

How old is the one that can’t submit classwork?

1 Like

Kids are directed to do/watch/read/fill/submit this and that every day, and the directions come to parents. Actually, parents are directed to submit kid’s work. The one announced in the morning are sometimes changed during the class or in the afternoon.

3 Likes

That’s weird they didn’t give the young ones all the homework at once.

My first grader came home with the whole two weeks of homework stapled in the contact book and every workbook page folded that needed to be done.

Thank God his teacher put in the work first instead of throwing it all on the parent like they did with you. You have my sympathy.

2 Likes

I don’t even think my (just turned) 4 year old daughter is getting homework. But she’s in pre-k, so no online class kind of makes sense.

1 Like

Does anyone really think schools will open again on 5/31? My uni just informed me the rest of the school year will be online :angry:

2 Likes

No way. Same thing happened here last year. If you do the math it doesn’t work.

Hahahaha. No way.

1 Like

Soon you’ll know what “ asynchronous “ and “synchronous” instruction is. Lol

1 Like

I’m beginning to wonder whether I’m a mug actually doing online teaching.

2 Likes

Do your students turn their videos on at least? Most of mine refuse to. They say they’re too shy, but I think the reality is they want to tune out and mess on their phones once they log into the meeting. The result is me talking like a crazy person to 40 silent blank squares on my computer screen.

3 Likes

Junior high informed no classes anymore until end of the semester.

1 Like

No videos to date.

2 Likes

At least they aren’t all trying to talk over you. 40 blank squares is better than 10 simultaneous conversations.
Look at the bright side.

4 Likes

That’s what the mute button is for. And actually I prefer cross talk over stony silence; if I wanted that I’d call my parents.

3 Likes

Indeed. Excessive cross-talk doesn’t generally factor high on my list of worries.

Tomorrow I have two classes with a high percentage of overseas students, so it could become a factor.

1 Like

They can unmute themselves in some apps. Not sure which you are using.

I prefer stony silence. Listen to what I need to tell you, ask as few questions as possible and get on with your day. :wink: