Schools for kids with ADHD

My son was diagnosed with ADHD and we’re looking for schools that know how to deal with kids with such needs.

He’s on the 2nd year now and homework is getting hard to complete. He’s also having to work very hard to keep up with the rest of the class.

I heard that there are schools that use different teaching methods, where the content is not separated by subjects, rather taught using activities, e.g. using painting to teach math and physics, or gardening to teach biology and chemistry, but I don’t know of such schools in Taiwan.

Any suggestions?

12 Likes

Best of luck with this.

4 Likes

Sounds like you need a real, proper Montessori school.

The problem is that I’ve personally set foot in exactly ONE Montessori school in Taiwan that wasn’t a total joke (aka, a traditional school with montessori trained teachers and montessori materials, but otherwise the same cut throat competition and assigned work that is found in traditional schools, only made worse by the level of wealth of the parents).

I will just say DO NOT send your child to “Taipei New World”, “Taipei Montessori International School”(長華小學), or (in Taichung) Harmony Montessori School.

The admin of those schools are happy to push teachers to force children to do all sorts of things they’ve not ready to do. Montessori is about “following the child”, which means introducing a concept to the child and observing the child and finding something that they will put 100% of their focus on until they are satisfied, because they are intrinsically motivated to do so. The above listed schools assign lessons and follow up work and the children are out of control in all of them as a result of their needs not being satisfied. But if you can find a real montessori school (pm me and I can suggest some that I think are sufficiently “Montessori”), ADHD (and any other other “exceptionalities”) wouldn’t be a problem for your child at all.

5 Likes

Good luck man, I know it’s tough.

1 Like

OK. If you don’t mind, RR, what exactly does that mean to the layman? I know a bit but not as much as I should given my job, for example the observed behaviors are across the board. Can’t be hyper at school and couch potato at home.

3 Likes

Sorry to sidetrack the thread, but I’m also interested in what symptoms made you get your child checked, and how you did it (school or doctor?).

1 Like

it mostly depends on teacher your son gets.

maybe you already checked these information but

https://special.moe.gov.tw/article.php?paid=140

4 Likes

Hi @nz!
Yes, I’d like to hear your suggestions of schools!
Either by PM or in the topic. I think that could be helpful to others too. :wink:

2 Likes

No problem.
We noticed it was hard to him to stay quiet and concentrate. Moving all the time, can’t even sit still. Taking a long time to finish one simple question of the homework and getting easily distracted.

When in class, while the teacher is in the front explaining something, he would be found looking at the birds outside, or the color of the shoelaces of his classmates.

When at home, we try to sit down with him to do the homework, and he would find excuses to keep getting up.
“Oh, my pencil needs to be sharpened”, then proceeds to get up.
“I can’t find my sharpener, maybe it’s in my other bag”, and went to find the bag but minutes later comes back without the bag, the sharpener or even the pencil.
His response to “What happened?” would be “I went to pee” or “I turned off the light in the kitchen”, then sit down to continue the homework.
“What about the pencil?”
“Oh, yeah. I’ll go get it”, and so on.

4 Likes

We noticed that he was having trouble paying attention to anything he wasn’t really interested into, and it was hard to him to keep quiet. After chatting with friends and the teacher, we noticed he was a bit above the average in terms of distraction and lack of concentration.
We then took him to see three different doctors, two from public hospitals and one from a clinic, so to get more than one diagnostic and avoid biased opinions.
One doctor diagnosed him with ADHD, and the other two said he at the border of it.

I think that the fact that he is able to concentrate on something in which he has interest makes him a light case of ADHD. So, I think the challenge is to get his interest in something and teach him the school curriculum in that way.
That’s why I’m looking for this kind of alternative schools.

3 Likes

I was going to say that it sounds exactly like my daughter who doesn’t have adhd. Especially the pencil sharpener and then going to pee and forgetting the pencil story ten times a day.

1 Like

No, I haven’t checked it.
Thanks for the links!

i was initially worried about blacklisting/lawsuits (against me. Taiwan laws can be whack :joy:), but I suppose I straight up called out the fake schools, so I might as well post the ones that are closest to being “real”.

There’s a school in Tainan called “Harvard”. Yes, they are a montessori school that named themselves after an Ivy League university, but they have some seriously wonderful children. ALL of them are incredibly respectful to themselves, one another, materials, etc. There was NO fighting or bad language among anyone and they would be very careful about taking exactly the amount of paper, glue, tape, etc. that was needed to complete whatever it was they were doing and they cleaned up their work when they were done. That’s the side of montessori that I value far more than the academics. (This is accomplished by focusing on teaching the children how to respect the environment from the beginning, with all adults modeling proper behavior at all times. Children involved in any violence are sent home immediately). There were a few special needs children (autism spectrum). While I didn’t see people actively seeking to work with them (they did work with them if the teacher called them over to work as a group), it was clear everyone knew not to be mean or pick on or make fun of them, which is something I’ve never really seen in any school anywhere. Unfortunately, this school is still stuck with parent demands. A montessori classroom should have an uninterrupted three hour “work cycle” every day, wherein children can do whatever they are driven to do. While it was clear they were working a lot on things they wanted to do, along with following the MOE curriculum (yes, they had textbooks…no, that’s not montessori, but they work on completion in their own time and in relation to the montessori materials), there were a lot of interruptions to the work cycle — an English teacher who came from outside to teach two hours of English each week, two of music, an hour of theater, PE class, etc. But if I knew anyone in Tainan, I would be begging them to let me go work for them. An overall great school, even if not “Montessori” per se.

In Taipei there’s a school called “Taiwan Montessori”. That’s mostly foreign/mixed children with foreign teacher(s?) (who I think had AMI training? Not that that means anything, as Taipei Montessori, aka “長華” is all montessori trained and that school is an absolute mess. Anything in the “Ms Lam” or “Taipei Montessori” category should be avoided at all costs). Not sure what the current situation is, as they’ve had some changes since I saw the school, but the owner has his head on straight — focus is on getting the children to be respectful of their environment and one another so they can actually be prepared to learn what they’re driven to want to learn. Families who send their children to cram schools are asked to stop (or even leave and send their kids to traditional schools??).

There’s a school near Xinyi Anhe that I think is called “utopia”. I know the former upper class teacher and he talks a lot about how the teacher has to start from zero with all students — teaching 9 year old boys how to aim when peeing and then mopping up the floor when they miss sorts of very foundational “life skills”. They were a very quiet and almost passive group of kids though. Not really in line with what you want for elementary children, who should be constantly arguing in order to learn how to work together and solve problems. Last I heard there was only one girl in the upper class and the lead teacher left to teach at a public montessori school in Zhongshan district (no idea the school name and I’m not in touch with the teacher anymore). I neither recommend nor don’t recommend it.

There’s also Acton Academy in Beitou. I know someone in the US who’s montessori-trained and ended up at an Acton Academy, as the owner of the montessori preschool he’d been (a trained/licensed Montessori guide) at thought that would be a better solution for elementary than a proper montessori elementary. He said the entire concept is a nightmare — the kids basically play various “educational” games on their personal laptops and if they complete enough tasks, they get to work with their friends. This is contrary to montessori elementary, where “freedom of movement” means you’re free to work with whoever you want, as long as you’re not disruptive (in which case, you get to talk to your teacher about what is appropriate behavior in the classroom, not get your “work with your friends” privileges taken away). I can’t speak for the Acton academy in Beitou. I think they were expanding. I know Acton is something of a franchise, so it’s possible the one in Taipei (which I think is run by a foreign couple? A mixed couple?) is more in line with “follow the child” and accommodating “exceptionalities”.

Theres a school in Dazhi that’s inside a public elementary school that’s super secret. I met the lead teacher and he is very clear on what is montessori. He was quick to pounce on any “in my child’s school they do xx. Is that montessori?” Questions. But I don’t have any idea of what goes on in that school. I don’t even know what the school’s name is. I imagine they are not very active in their recruitment because they have the students they need, perhaps?

No matter what you choose, make sure your child’s teachers are trained/licensed teachers. It’s kinda scary to me to see how many private schools are like “hey yeah just need to have a passport from an English-speaking country yo”. Or for the local teachers, any sort of “teaching assistant” experience is sufficient. Those teachers will NOT have the skills that are needed to work with your child.

Also, As someone who probably also has adhd, I think everyone probably has adhd. I mean, who doesn’t get easily distracted when asked to do things they’re not interested in? It’s your brain’s way of saying “this isn’t interesting. Find something meaningful to pass your time with!” So I would say that regardless of where you send your “adhd” child, it’d be helpful if your child is able to engage in tasks that are meaningful to them when at home. If they love sweeping the floor, let them do so until they are content. If they love to wash the dishes, let them wash the dishes. If they are constantly trying to draw shades from lightest to very dark with a colored pencil, let them have at it. The brain didn’t evolve to sit and do mindless workbook pages every day!

8 Likes

Wow!
That’s a very is comprehensive review, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

That’s me to this day lol.

2 Likes

From what I’ve read online, ADHD is now understood to be an inability to control one’s attention, rather than not being able to focus on anything (as the name suggests).

Are you considering medicating your child?

I prefer to not take that path. I have friends back home who medicated their child and their behavior totally changed.

Yes, the kid was able to finish their homework and wasn’t running around all the time, but they also weren’t an energetic kid who were always smiling and making friends wherever they went anymore.

I prefer to find ways to educate my son according to his personality and learning methods instead of trying to fit him in a pre-made cookie cutter.

5 Likes

Sounds very similar to my wee boy who is in 3rd grade now (pro tip #1: pre-sharpen all pencils before homework, have erasers and paper at hand). We never got him diagnosed, but have a feeling that he is borderline ADHD. We are fortunate that the school he goes to has western style system that is quite accommodating to his needs. The most challenging aspect has been the Chinese classes, which still have a more traditional approach and can be very frustrating for him and Mum to get through all the work and keep up with others in the class.

How supportive is the school to his needs? Have you mentioned that he has ADHD diagnosis and see if they can be more supportive for now as maybe he will grow out of it. My kid had a big improvement from 2nd to 3rd grade as he seemed to mature more and get more self control.

Another tip is to make sure they are well exercised before the evening routine as this seems to help a lot with their concentration. We started sending ours to swimming classes and after they get home it’s like Zen inside the household: “I’ve finished dinner so I’m going to do my homework now…”, “I’ve finished homework so I’m going to read a book now…”

Best of luck to you.

4 Likes

I don’t know about medication but whatever you do do not let him feel like he is flawed. This is just a personality type not a problem. Your kid needs to learn to navigate the world and plan around his personality, same as everyone else. Some people may be bad at socializing, others may be dumb he has difficulty focusing. He will take longer to finish his homework and that’s understandably annoying for you but that doesn’t mean it will affect his future prospects or quality of life.

4 Likes

I think that’s best. He and you and Mom have to get used to what’s going on and knowing means a lot. Thanks so much for sharing that.

I have a kid in the high school with AHDH whom I work with in algebra. He can be a handful. The phone is a real challenge. Some days it’s 100% on the phone; other days, he’ll ask me to charge it for him and he’ll do 20 quadratic functions. We try to meet him where he is and work from there.

Pro tip, hold off on the phone for a while. It’s the devil. :imp:

2 Likes