Science fiction: Utopian or dystopian?

Brilliant adaption. Satirising fascism has only proved more prescient in 25 years time. Also see: Robocop.

“Would you like to know more?”

2 Likes

Except Starship Troopers does not depict a fascist society. Calling it it “Starship Troopers: Men in Tights (Not Mobile Armor)” would be more indicative that it’s a satire only loosely connected to the source.

I always thought it was just that Verhoeven was a bit crazy. :idunno:

1 Like

Dystopian.

Oh, pardon me. You were all talking about science fiction, not science fact.

1 Like

Sorry- get my science facts from actual scientists, not BAs in English Lit. How about brother Julian?

Eugenics baby!
I’m all for genetically engineering people to reach our true potential.

I find often eugenic proponents don’t actually care about eugenic practices but rather use eugenics to say that white people are the best and that they care about racial purity more than anything. The result is they end up propagating bad genes than preserve good ones.

Yes, the racial purity nonsense gives eugenics a bad name. Kinda like the LNT model does to radiation.

Julian Huxley on race (from the Wiki article):

A race, from the biological standpoint, may therefore be defined as one of the group of populations constituting the species Homo sapiens "… "National, religious, geographic, linguistic and cult groups do not necessary coincide with racial groups: the cultural traits of such groups have no demonstrated genetic connexion with racial traits. Because serious errors of this kind are habitually committed when the term ‘race’ is used in popular parlance, it would be better when speaking of human races to drop the term ‘race’ altogether and speak of ethnic groups "… “Now what has the scientist to say about the groups of mankind which may be recognized at the present time? Human races can be and have been differently classified by different anthropologists, but at the present time most anthropologists agree on classifying the greater part of present-day mankind into three major divisions, as follows: The Mongoloid Division; The Negroid Division; The Caucasoid Division.” … "Catholics, Protestants, Moslems and Jews are not races … The biological fact of race and the myth of ‘race’ should be distinguished. For all practical social purposes ‘race’ is not so much a biological phenomenon as a social myth. The myth ‘race’ has created an enormous amount of human and social damage. In recent years it has taken a heavy toll in human lives and caused untold suffering. It still prevents the normal development of millions of human beings and deprives civilization of the effective co-operation of productive minds. The biological differences between ethnic groups should be disregarded from the standpoint of social acceptance and social action. The unity of mankind from both the biological and social viewpoint is the main thing. To recognize this and to act accordingly is the first requirement of modern man …

Curious review on Goodreads of Up The Line

Yeah, often among pre-war eugenicists, and still popular today among pseudoscientists like Charles Murray. Swinging back to SF, I notice one of the fiercest opponents of this was Robert A. Heinlein- the hero of Starship Troopers was Filipino; of Tunnel in the Sky, black- this in the 1950s!.
His publishers whitewashed the cover of Tunnel, Hollywood did the same to the casting of Starship Troopers.
Ursula LeGuin accused the SciFi channel of doing this to Earthsea, in which in the book she had deliberately made the characters dark brown or black -that was in 1968.

I didn’t see why everybody in science fiction had to be a honky named Bob or Joe or Bill. I didn’t see why everybody in heroic fantasy had to be white (and why all the leading women had “violet eyes”).
Ursula K. Le Guin on the TV Earthsea.

It’s also ironic that Goro Miyazaki (Hayao Miyazaki’s son), was accused by her of whitewashing in the movie Tales of Earthsea,

Yes, let us ignore the one who read books and such, and immersed in history.

And trust the brother focused on test-tubes and their contents.

Mutating viruses, chemical additives.

A new kind of science has arrived; one that is separated from everything that has come before.

Discussions around the dinner table at Christmas must have been very interesting indeed in the Huxley family.

:see_no_evil:

I think that calls for a spoiler alert + :nsfw:!