Scooter/Car insurance and registration questions

After a few years of riding without regularly going to the DMV or getting insurance, I’m a bit out of the loop. I’m fully licensed in Taiwan for car and motorbike.

Motorbike

• Do I need annual renewal of motorbike registration or have to go in for regular checks?
  • Scooter insurance covers exactly what ( my bike, the other guys bike/car, my medical, other guys medical)?
  • Do I get the insurance outside the DMV?
  • Can I get more comprehensive insurance for scooter e.g. 3rd party?

Car

My car isn’t registered in my name - i.e. borrowed but owner not in Taiwan no more

• Can I still get insurance on the car that will pay for for myself, the car, the other guy and the other guy’s car in case of accident?
  • Third party insurance?

Finally, lets say my vehicle is illegal (my bike went to the chop shop for a new engine) and I’m involved in an accident. Could an illegal vehicle immediately hold me responsible for the accident and automatically make me liable, or mean an insurance company would not pay out for me?

Thanks,

[quote=“cyberguppy”]After a few years of riding without regularly going to the DMV or getting insurance, I’m a bit out of the loop. I’m fully licensed in Taiwan for car and motorbike.

Motorbike

• Do I need annual renewal of motorbike registration or have to go in for regular checks?
  • Scooter insurance covers exactly what ( my bike, the other guys bike/car, my medical, other guys medical)?
  • Do I get the insurance outside the DMV?
  • Can I get more comprehensive insurance for scooter e.g. 3rd party?

Car

My car isn’t registered in my name - i.e. borrowed but owner not in Taiwan no more

• Can I still get insurance on the car that will pay for for myself, the car, the other guy and the other guy’s car in case of accident?
  • Third party insurance?

Finally, lets say my vehicle is illegal (my bike went to the chop shop for a new engine) and I’m involved in an accident. Could an illegal vehicle immediately hold me responsible for the accident and automatically make me liable, or mean an insurance company would not pay out for me?

Thanks,[/quote]
Insurance it depends which one you have … basic only covers the other party, not your bike and not your health.

Yes, you can get extended (comprehensive) coverage insurance.

It could when the other party knows and sues you.

DMV doesn’t insure anything, it’s a government agency … any company inside or outside the building are independend insurance, maybe some have a government participation.

Evry so many years you need a EPA check (CO2 and other stuff) … they’ll send you a reminder. (If they have your real address)

If you have the guys ID, stamp … (ARC), registration and he’ll sign or goes with you to the DMV you can change everything, else … you’re screwed.

Hang on… is there a basic insurance that is government issued? I’m aware there are private options outside the DMV… and I presume a range of choices.

Also, does the basic insurance cover the other guy’s vehicle or just his injuries?

Does 第三方保險 = 3rd party insurance? I might check that out.