Scooter guilty! Miss Piggy in Tears!

Well, perhaps Libby will get to reconsider what the caged really do:

Libby’s steamy novel of bestiality and paedophilia to be re-released by publisher:

[quote]Life is not all bad for Lewis “Scooter” Libby, the vice-president’s former chief of staff. He has been indicted for perjury but the scandal has done wonders for sales of a steamy novel he wrote a decade ago.

The Apprentice, an everyday tale of bestiality and paedophilia in 1903 Japan, is to be reprinted after the author’s newfound notoriety triggered a stampede for secondhand editions.

The Apprentice is packed with sexual perversion, dwelling on prepubescent girls and their training as prostitutes.

One passage describes a girl being thrown into a cage “with a bear trained to couple with young girls so the girls would be frigid and not fall in love with their patrons”.

“They fed her through the bars and aroused the bear with a stick when it seemed to lose interest. Groups of men paid to watch.”[/quote]

Given MFGR’s “interest” in this case, he may be interested in whether these questions are asked of our heroine Valerie Plame Wilson. hee hee hee

[quote]Ten Questions for Valerie Plame Wilson
She’s set to testify before the House tomorrow. Here’s what the public needs to know.

By Byron York

Valerie Plame Wilson, the woman at the heart of the CIA-leak affair, is scheduled to testify tomorrow before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. There she will, for the first time, face questions about her role in the Niger uranium matter that eventually became the basis of the CIA-leak investigation. Here are a few questions Mrs. Wilson might be asked:

1. In a 2004 report, the Senate Intelligence Committee quoted a memo you wrote to the deputy chief of the CIA’s counterproliferation division (CPD) on February 12, 2002. In it, you suggested your husband for a trip to Niger to investigate reports that Iraq had sought uranium there. According to the Senate report, you wrote, “My husband has good relations with both the PM [prime minister] and the former Minister of Mines (not to mention lots of French contacts), both of whom could possibly shed light on this sort of activity.” Was that all your memo said? Was there any more? If so, what did it say?

2. Your memo was dated February 12, 2002. Was that before or after you learned that Vice President Cheney had asked a question about reports of Iraqi attempts to buy uranium in Niger?

3. On February 19, 2002, according to the Senate report, the CPD held a meeting with your husband to discuss a trip to Niger. A State Department report said the meeting was “apparently convened by [Joseph Wilson’s] wife who had the idea to dispatch [him] to use his contacts to sort out the Iraq-Niger uranium issue.” Is that accurate? Please describe what happened.

4. In January 2004, Vanity Fair published an article touching on your role in the Niger uranium affair. It said
    In early May [2003], Wilson and Plame attended a conference sponsored by the Senate Democratic Policy Committee, at which Wilson spoke about Iraq; one of the other panelists was the New York Times journalist Nicholas Kristof. Over breakfast the next morning with Kristof and his wife, Wilson told about his trip to Niger and said Kristof could write about it, but not name him.

Is that account accurate? If so, please describe what you said to your fellow attendees, either publicly or privately, at the Democratic Policy Committee meeting.

1. There have been some questions about the wording of the Vanity Fair paragraph quote above, which says that your husband met for breakfast with “Kristof and his wife.” Just to be clear: were you at that breakfast? If so, what was said?

2. On June 13, 2003, Kristof wrote a column about the Niger-uranium matter. He wrote that he was “piecing the story together from two people directly involved and three others who were briefed on it.” Were you one of those people?

3. A month earlier, on May 6, 2003, Kristof wrote a column reporting that “In February 2002, according to someone present at the meetings, that envoy reported to the CIA and State Department that the information [of a Niger-Iraq uranium deal] was unequivocally wrong and that the documents [purporting to show such a deal] had been forged.” Kristof was later forced to admit that the envoy, your husband, had not actually seen the documents he claimed to have debunked. Did you know that at the time? Did you play any role in the preparation of that article?

4. At the Lewis Libby trial, Judge Reggie Walton said that he did not know if your job status was covert, classified, or other on July 14, 2003, the day your name was published in a column by Robert Novak. What is the answer?

5. Was your job status changing, or had it changed, during your last years at the agency? If so, when, and for what reason?

6. If your status was either covert or classified, and if you did in fact meet with the Senate Democratic Policy Committee and with Nicholas Kristof, did you view it as part of your covert or classified work to meet with political groups and a columnist from the New York Times to discuss matters within your purview at the CIA?[/quote]

I LOVE questions 4 and 10. Think this will generate some interesting answers? I mean how do you get out of that? haha

article.nationalreview.com/?q=MW … czYzNiOTU=

1. Why did your employer, the CIA, request that the Justice Department investigate who revealed your status as a covert agent?

Some pretty big bombshells dropping in Washington, as Knodell starts fessing up on how no investigation was pursued in the Plame leak despite clear requirements to do so. Probably Dubya nixed it on the basis that they all knew it was themselves who did it. Transcripts here.

[quote]REP. WAXMAN: Mr. Knodell, you’re the one in charge at the White House for safeguarding classified information, isn’t that correct?

MR. KNODELL: That’s correct.

REP. WAXMAN: And in – in doing so, you have an executive order, 12958, that implements the regulations for protection of this information. I want to ask you about that and, of course, we’re looking at it in the context of Mrs. Wilson’s identity being disclosed. Federal regulations require that any person who has knowledge of the loss or compromise of classified information has an obligation to report to the White House security officer. I’m going to read from 5 CFR Section 1312.30, “Any White House employee who has knowledge of the loss or possible compromise of classified information should report the circumstances to the EOP security officer,” end quote. Is that accurate, Mr. Knodell?

MR. KNODELL: Yes, it is.

REP. WAXMAN: And do White House officials who know about the disclosure of classified information have an obligation to report what they know to you?

MR. KNODELL: Yes, sir.

REP. WAXMAN: And Mr. Leonard, you’re one of the nation’s experts on protection of classified information.

Do federal officials who learn of the possible breach of classified information have an obligation to report it to the security officer at the White House?

MR. LEONARD: Any individual who becomes aware of a security violation, especially one which may involve an unauthorized disclosure, has the obligation to promptly report that matter to the designated official to receive it.

REP. WAXMAN: And that’s whether it was intentionally disclosed or unintentionally disclosed.

MR. LEONARD: Yes, sir. That’s correct.

REP. WAXMAN: Mr. Knodell, I want to ask you about whether the White House officials complied with this requirement after the disclosure of Mrs. Wilson’s identity. Let me start with the former White House Press Secretary, Ari Fleischer.

Mr. Fleischer had conversations with Walter Pincus of The Washington Post and David Gregory of “NBC News” about Ms. Wilson’s identity. These conversations took place in July 2003. Almost immediately it was clear that Ms. Wilson’s identity was classified information. Mr. Knodell, the regulations require Mr. Fleischer to report what he knew about this disclosure to you. Did he do that?

MR. KNODELL: Mr. Chairman, I thought the agreement here for me today was I would not discuss specific investigations.

REP. WAXMAN: Well, as I understood it, we wouldn’t discuss the Libby case. That was the concern that we were going to go rehash the Libby case. But this is the Valerie Plame Wilson case, and it’s a question that Congress is exploring to find out whether our security laws and regulations are working. And one way to find that out is to find out whether you were told that there was a violation and the rules were upheld and followed in the requirements and obligations to report it to you.

MR. KNODELL: Mr. Chairman, that happened before my tenure in this current position. I began this position in August of 2004.

REP. WAXMAN: Mm-hmm. Well, do you – are you aware of whether the report was made by Mr. Fleischer to your predecessor?

MR. KNODELL: No sir, I’m not, Mr. Chairman.

REP. WAXMAN: Are you aware if there’s any investigation that ever took place in the White House about the release of this classified information?

MR. KNODELL: I am not.

REP. WAXMAN: Do you know whether Karl Rove, the president’s senior political adviser, came forward and reported what he knew about the breach of Mrs. Wilson’s identity? After all, we learned that Mr. Rove talked about her identity with at least two journalists, Robert Novak and Matthew Cooper of Time Magazine.

MR. KNODELL: Mr. Chairman, I have no knowledge of any investigation within my office.

REP. WAXMAN: Okay. How long have you been in that office?

MR. KNODELL: Since August of 2004.

REP. WAXMAN: Since August of 2004 – two-and-a-half years. And were you aware in the last two-and-a-half years that this was an issue for which there was a lot of concern?

MR. KNODELL: Yes, Mr. Chairman. I was.

REP. WAXMAN: Did you learn that from people in the White House?

MR. KNODELL: Through the press.[/quote]

A particularly creepy part in which Knodell was caught out:

[quote]REP. HODES: What discussions, if any, have you had with anyone about whether or not you should or should not institute an investigation into the security breaches that are the subject of this hearing today?

MR. KNODELL: I’ve had no conversations.

REP. HODES: You haven’t talked to anybody?

MR. KNODELL: That’s correct.

REP. HODES: So when you say you’re going to go back to the White House and take it up with senior management, you’re senior management, aren’t you?

MR. KNODELL: Yes, sir. I am.

REP. HODES: So you’re going to go back and talk to yourself about whether or not you’re going to conduct an investigation? Is that what you want this panel to believe?

MR. KNODELL: I will – I report to several people.[/quote]

No mystery that James Knodell wouldn’t want to do his job … after all, his partisan links are well documented already.

MFGR:

You should be very careful about what you wish for. You might not like it. Right now, for example, I am wondering what a truly thorough investigation of this matter might mean for Joe Wilson and Valerie Plame… What do you think… hee hee

Perhaps that Rove will get his ass frog-marched out? I don’t know where it will lead. Why don’t you read a bit first. Nice Washington Post article here

[quote]Plame calmly but firmly knocked down longstanding claims by administration allies that the disclosure was not criminal because she had not worked in a covert capacity.

“I am here to say I was a covert officer of the Central Intelligence Agency,” Plame told House members, a horde of journalists and a few antiwar activists. Her work, she said, “was not common knowledge on the Georgetown cocktail circuit.”

Plame also provided the most detailed account to date of her role in a decision by the agency to dispatch her husband, former U.S. ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV, to Niger five years ago to assess reports that Iraq had sought to buy nuclear material from the African nation.[/quote]

I think it isn’t fitting for the Bush White House to target our serving intelligence officers. Perhaps the GOP would be willing to implement some new planks for their 2008 platform? Some recommendations off the top of my head: no more treason and no more efforts to hurt medical care for wounded troops.

covert but not to the degree that a crime would have been committed in outing her. AND, again, the one who outed her was one of your own: Armitage. Discussing covert operatives including Plame is not a crime. KNOWINGLY outing them would be. So, would you like to prosecute Armitage? HE is the one who committed the crime… Whadya say MFGR? haha

Plame’s cover was that of working as an analyst for a legal services company. Imagine you’re, say, living in Istanbul, Turkey and you’re known to have had “business dealings” with Plame on one of her trips to Istanbul. Your own cover story is that she was providing legal advice to you for your export business to the U.S. market. In reality you’ve been providing her with inside information about gray-market transport routes between various countries in the Middle East which may be conduits for weapons of mass destruction technology.

One day you wake up and find her name plastered all over the Arabic-language media as a CIA agent who’s been exposed by her own government.

Yes, I am really going to worry about Plame’s cover being blown… She was so importantly covert that it was not even a crime to expose her hence Armitage’s good fortune. Also, given that covert identities are sooooo important to you people, how do you feel about the 25 REAL covert operatives who had their identity blown by the judge in Italy? AND these people really were working in very dangerous COVERT situations not like Valerie Plame unless you consider a trip to the salon where she might have gotten the wrong tint of blond hair dye a threatening, dangerous job…

AGAIN, I am all for a TOTAL investigation of this matter. Let’s start by throwing the book at Armitage. I won’t mind. Then, let’s get ALL the journalists involved and throw them in jail until they start talking AND then let’s carry out an investigation into whether Wilson and his letter writing campaigns compromised national security, etc. etc. EVEN if these journalists claim to have alibis or whatever, let’s prosecute them and then when their stories don’t match up, let’s prosecute them for obstruction of justice that way we can target their EDITORS. haha Let them ALL go to jail and cease filling the pages of our newspapers with such nonsense. THAT way there will be more room for coverage of Anna Nicole Smith!

[quote=“fred smith”]Yes, I am really going to worry about Plame’s cover being blown… She was so importantly covert that it was not even a crime to expose her hence Armitage’s good fortune. Also, given that covert identities are sooooo important to you people, how do you feel about the 25 REAL covert operatives who had their identity blown by the judge in Italy? AND these people really were working in very dangerous COVERT situations not like Valerie Plame unless you consider a trip to the salon where she might have gotten the wrong tint of blond hair dye a threatening, dangerous job…

AGAIN, I am all for a TOTAL investigation of this matter. Let’s start by throwing the book at Armitage. I won’t mind. Then, let’s get ALL the journalists involved and throw them in jail until they start talking AND then let’s carry out an investigation into whether Wilson and his letter writing campaigns compromised national security, etc. etc. EVEN if these journalists claim to have alibis or whatever, let’s prosecute them and then when their stories don’t match up, let’s prosecute them for obstruction of justice that way we can target their EDITORS. haha Let them ALL go to jail and cease filling the pages of our newspapers with such nonsense. THAT way there will be more room for coverage of Anna Nicole Smith![/quote]

That’s good. :slight_smile: Have your cover ‘blown by a judge in Italy’.

What sort of mealy parsing is this? For ages, you’ve been insisting “SHE’S NOT COVERT” but when you admit she was covert then it becomes “BUT NOT TO THE DEGREE…” You might as well start using phrases like “only a little bit pregnant” and “kind-of dead”.

Armitage was a member of the Bush team, not “one of my own”. Apparently he did well in a race with other administration figures to please his boss. Let the chips fall where they may on all of these guys – I hope they investigate the lot of 'em.

You are correct. My mistake and apologies for the “parsing.” There has always been doubt about her covert status and it appears that yes she was in fact covert but her covert status was of such a degree that outing her would not have been illegal and it was the LEGALITY which was most important to me. To my thinking, it indicates that OUTING her was not serious enough to even be considered a crime and it is the OUTING of Valerie Plame and its impact on her safety and that of others that was deemed most important right? not her covert status per se… Again, I apologize for once again parsing here but… please accept it as more a point of clarification. The ultimate issues to my thinking remain the same. She was NEVER in any danger and it was unlikely that any of her contacts were either.

He was anti-war and I think that Bush would have been smarter if he had removed all of these old vestiges from office IMMEDIATELY upon being elected. It was not as if reaching out to the Democrats by keeping Armitage, Tenet, Mineta and others was of any use in garnering bipartisan support. He was unwise to trust or continue to employ these people and yet… he still does it. Your beef about the attorneys being “fired” is a case in point. They all serve at the presidents discretion. Reagan replaced ALL of them when he took office. Likewise Clinton did the same or nearly the same. Yet, only with Bush is it an issue and that to my way of thinking is because he reaches out to these people far more than he should.

Good on that we are in complete agreement. I am sick to death of these prancing journalists, pompous editors and disloyal government employees. Let’s open the net to throw it over all of them. I would LOVE to see some of the editors of these various publications slapped with obstruction of justice prosecutions when they trip up over the details of what they knew and when they knew it. I want both Wilson and Plame prosecuted for revealing details of a COVERT mission. I want Armitage thrown in jail. I want Rove on trial (not much use to us anymore) and I want some of the senators on various committees who were apprised of these details early on including those who decided along with the CIA leadership to prosecute this matter ALL investigated as well. Let Fitzgerald explain his role in all of this and why he retained key information about this outing for so long ESPECIALLY given that Plame was a (sing along with me now) KEY WEAPONS PROLIFERATION EXPERT. Let’s take them all on. What do you say MFGR? Want to join with me in calling for a 100 percent across the board investigation and prosecution of this case to the fullest extent? I am all there!

Looks like the Democrats are doing a good job of forcing the White House people to admit that they never followed the proper procedures for reporting and handling the Plame outing situation. Also, with the firing of prosecutors heating up, I wouldn’t be surprised if people start asking questions about the pressures put on Fitzgerald. One of the threatened prosecutors apparently faced issues of bodily harm with regards to the partisan pushing going on from the GOP side.

So, if you want to see a full-blown investigation of the Plame outing, you’ll have to switch sides of the aisle … jump off the sinking Republican ship. You ready to do that?

Where do you get that claim? Under the applicable statute, she was covert.

According to CIA Director Hayden, Plame was covert

Don’t really see that there are any more words for the Bushbots to parse. Also think it’s pretty stupid how Fred and others wrote as if they knew squat about what the CIA does, pulling ill-thought-out bits from Toensing’s playbook this whole while.

Fred, please highlight for me all the impossibilities here. You were so sure that “the wife of an ambassador” never does any covert intelligence… and yet WTFDYK?

[quote=“mofangongren”]Looks like the Democrats are doing a good job of forcing the White House people to admit that they never followed the proper procedures for reporting and handling the Plame outing situation. Also, with the firing of prosecutors heating up, I wouldn’t be surprised if people start asking questions about the pressures put on Fitzgerald. One of the threatened prosecutors apparently faced issues of bodily harm with regards to the partisan pushing going on from the GOP side.

So, if you want to see a full-blown investigation of the Plame outing, you’ll have to switch sides of the aisle … jump off the sinking Republican ship. You ready to do that?[/quote]

You’re dodging fred’s question.

Fred, your analysis of the law is way off. The Intelligence Identities Protection Act of 1982 does not distinguish between “levels” of covertness, though that seems to be your belief. Here is the relevant passage from the United States Code:

Those are the crimes. Here are the defenses.

foi.missouri.edu/bushinfopolicie … ction.html

As you can see, the level of covertness is not a defense under the law. However, Plame’s discussion of her covert activities with the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform falls under defense (c), so she would not be guilty of any offense (in that regard).

How can you be so sure? From Plame’s testimony before Congress

[quote]VALERIE PLAME WILSON, Former Covert CIA Officer: I felt like I had been hit in the gut. It was over in an instant, and I immediately thought of my family’s safety, the agents, the networks that I had worked with.

And everything goes through your mind in an instant: I could no longer do the work which I had been trained to do. After that, there is no way that you can serve overseas in a covert capacity, and so that career path was terminated.[/quote]

There is overwhelming evidence now that Plame was covert, which you yourself have admitted, and under oath she has stated that she was active in undercover operations within the past 5 years. Not only is the argument that Plame wasn’t “all that covert” legally indefensible, it is incorrect to begin with. Glad to see you finally calling for the perpetrator’s heads by the way (well, 10 years in prison and a fine of $50,000 USD, but still). Welcome back to the side of justice.

[quote=“gao_bo_han”][quote=“mofangongren”]Looks like the Democrats are doing a good job of forcing the White House people to admit that they never followed the proper procedures for reporting and handling the Plame outing situation. Also, with the firing of prosecutors heating up, I wouldn’t be surprised if people start asking questions about the pressures put on Fitzgerald. One of the threatened prosecutors apparently faced issues of bodily harm with regards to the partisan pushing going on from the GOP side.

So, if you want to see a full-blown investigation of the Plame outing, you’ll have to switch sides of the aisle … jump off the sinking Republican ship. You ready to do that?[/quote]

You’re dodging fred’s question.[/quote]

How so? I consider Armitage part of the Bush administration and I’ve already stated I want a full investigation. I don’t have to repeatedly answer fred’s repeated questions. As far as my desire for the justice system to function, I want the investigation to be handled in a non-partisan manner that pulls down this whole sham surrounding the Plame outing. Now, I realize that the Bush administration is facing some heat over their political use of the federal prosecutors – firing those who wouldn’t persecute Democrats or who dared to competently handle cases involving Republicans. Well, I’d like to see what prosecutors could do if unshackled from Rovian partisan rules. Maybe national security would benefit from clearing up this current mess.

For the record, Fred doesn’t seem to have answered my questions. So far, he seems determined to supply this thread with false information – i.e., crap along the lines that there are 1) different levels of covert" or 2) Plame wasn’t covert or 3) exposing Plame didn’t put anyone else at risk or 4) nobody who is married to a former ambassador could possibly keep their covert status and so on.

Well, here is the other side of the coin and can anyone tell me why then outing Valerie Plame was not considered a crime or did I miss something here as well? Why isn’t Armitage being prosecuted? and if MFGR thinks that he is one of the Bush team (haha) then he should enjoy seeing him go down all the more…

[quote]Senate Intel Committee: What Valerie Plame Didn’t Tell Us
The differences between her House testimony and the Senate’s findings.

By Byron York

During her testimony Friday before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, former CIA employee Valerie Plame told how her husband, former ambassador Joseph Wilson, came to travel to Niger to investigate claims Iraq had tried to buy uranium there.
It started in February 2002, Mrs. Wilson testified. “A young junior officer who worked for me came to me very concerned, very upset. She had just received a telephone call on her desk from someone, I don’t know who, in the Office of the Vice President, asking about this report of this alleged sale of yellowcake uranium from Niger to Iraq.”

It was not clear from Mrs. Wilson’s testimony why the junior officer was upset. But as the young officer told her story, Mrs. Wilson continued, an element of chance intruded. “As she was telling me what had just happened, someone passed by, another officer heard this. He knew that Joe had already — my husband — had already gone on some CIA missions previously to deal with other nuclear matters. And he suggested, ‘Well, why don’t we send Joe?’” That, Mrs. Wilson testified, was the beginning of her husband’s mission to Africa.

As Mrs. Wilson told her story, some members and staff of the Senate Intelligence Committee watched with great interest. As part of its probe into pre-war intelligence, the committee interviewed Valerie Plame Wilson for the portions of the committee’s report dealing with the Niger uranium matter. At that time, as now, the question of how the CIA chose Joseph Wilson for the Niger trip was a subject of great interest. But Missouri Republican Sen. Christopher Bond, vice chairman of the committee, says Mrs. Wilson did not tell the committee about the young junior officer, the call from the vice president’s office, or the passing CIA official who suggested Joseph Wilson’s name.

“Friday was the first time we have ever heard that story,” Sen. Bond said in a statement to National Review Sunday evening. “Obviously if we had, we would have included it in the report. If Ms. Wilson’s memory of events has improved and she would now like to change her testimony, I’m sure the committee staff would be happy to re-interview her.”

For those who followed the Senate investigation, the young-junior-officer story was not the only surprise in Mrs. Wilson’s House testimony. In addition to saying that her office received a call from the vice president’s office, Mrs. Wilson flatly denied playing a role in choosing her husband for the trip to Niger. “I did not recommend him. I did not suggest him,” she testified. The Senate Intelligence Committee report, which concluded that she had indeed suggested her husband for the trip, was simply wrong, Mrs. Wilson testified. In particular, what she called a “quick e-mail” describing her husband’s qualifications for the trip was “taken out of context” by the committee to “make it seem as though I had suggested or recommended him.”

In response to an inquiry from National Review Online Friday, Sen. Bond disputed Mrs. Wilson’s memory. “We have…checked the memorandum written by Ms. Wilson suggesting her husband to look into the Niger reporting,” Bond said in a statement. “I…stand by the Committee’s finding that this memorandum indicates Ms. Wilson did suggest her husband for a Niger inquiry. Because the quote [the portion of the memo quoted in the Senate report] obviously does not represent the entirety of the memorandum, I suggest that the House Government Reform Committee request and examine this memorandum themselves. I am confident that they will come to the same conclusion as our bipartisan membership did.”

In addition, Mrs. Wilson testified that a CIA reports officer, who the Senate committee says told investigators that Mrs. Wilson had “offered up” her husband’s name for the trip, later told her, Mrs. Wilson, that the committee had got it all wrong. “He came to me almost with tears in his eyes,” she testified. “He said his words have been twisted and distorted.” She testified that the reports officer wrote a memo to correct the record — it is not clear to whom the memo was given — but that the CIA would not let him speak to committee investigators a second time.

Bond responded to that description of events, too. “We have checked the transcript of the comments made to the committee by the former reports officer and I stand by the committee’s description of his comments,” the senator said. “If the reports officer would like to clarify or change his remarks, I’m certain that the committee would welcome his testimony.”

Finally, Bond said flatly, “I stand by the findings of the committee’s report on the Niger-Iraq uranium information, including the information regarding Mr. and Mrs. Wilson.”

On other issues relating to the CIA-leak affair, in her House testimony Mrs. Wilson provided sketchy information, but the fault lay not so much with her as with listless questioning by the two Republicans who showed up for the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform hearing. For example, she was asked briefly about her presence, before her CIA identity was revealed publicly, at a May 2003 conference sponsored by the Senate Democratic Policy Committee. “I attended that conference simply as a spouse of my husband who was invited to speak,” Mrs. Wilson testified. “I had no discussions other than purely social in nature.”

Mrs. Wilson was not asked anything else about the conference. Who did she meet? What did she say? What did they say? What did her husband say? No Republican — and needless to say, no Democrat — asked.

She was questioned a bit more extensively about a breakfast she and her husband shared with New York Times columnist Nicholas Kristof. She had been at the breakfast “briefly,” Wilson testified. “I had nothing — I was not speaking to Mr. Kristof.” She said she “can’t imagine” that she could have been a source for Kristof on the Niger uranium matter because “I did not speak to him about it.” No one on the House committee asked what, if anything, she did say to Kristof, or what her husband said during the breakfast.

Finally on Friday, Mrs. Wilson, as well as California Democratic Rep. Henry Waxman, the committee chairman, addressed the issue of her status within the CIA. “I’ve served the United States loyally and to the best of my ability as a covert operations officer for the Central Intelligence Agency,” Mrs. Wilson testified. “In the run-up to the war with Iraq, I worked in the Counterproliferation Division of the CIA, still as a covert officer whose affiliation with the CIA was classified.”

At the hearing, Waxman said that he had spoken with CIA Director Gen. Michael Hayden, who approved a statement Waxman read to the committee. “During her employment at the CIA, Ms. Wilson was undercover,” Waxman said. “Her employment status with the CIA was classified information…At the time of the publication of Robert Novak’s column on July 14, 2003, Ms. Wilson’s CIA employment status was covert. This was classified information.” A CIA spokesman later told National Review Online that Waxman’s characterization of the matter was “entirely correct.”

On a personal note, there have been accusations from supporters of the Wilsons that I have, at various times during the CIA-leak affair, declared that Mrs. Wilson was not a covert agent. I did report extensively on CIA leak prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald’s avoidance of the word “covert,” his refusal to say what Mrs. Wilson’s status was (beyond “classified”), the Libby trial judge’s declaration that he did not know if Mrs. Wilson was covert, classified, or other, and the testimony at the Libby trial from top officials in the CIA and State Department that they did not tell anyone in the vice president’s office that Mrs. Wilson was covert, classified, or anything else. I also reported, as the pre-trial phase of the Libby case got underway, that Libby defense lawyer Ted Wells asked, “Was she just classified because some bureaucracy didn’t declassify her five years ago when they should have?” On February 27 2006, I wrote:

Wells’s speculation about Wilson’s status matches up with descriptions of Wilson’s employment offered by some knowledgeable sources. There appears to be no doubt that Wilson was a covert CIA agent at the beginning and during much of her career; people who trained with her and who served with her attest to that. But there are questions about whether Wilson was in any practical way operating undercover in the years leading up to her exposure in the Novak column. The Libby team seemed to be suggesting that Wilson’s classified status, if that is what she had, was vestigial — that her undercover days were over and she only retained that status on paper.

One knowledgeable source suggests that might be the case, but maintains that being technically undercover was still being undercover. “She was definitely undercover by agency standards at the time in question,” the source says. “That was a classified bit of information, and is sufficient as far as the agency is concerned to bring it to the attention of the Justice Department. You can argue whether she should have been, but as far as the agency was concerned it was classified.”

There have been reports that Valerie Plame Wilson was changing jobs — and job status — at the CIA when the leak of her identity occurred. In their book Hubris, David Corn — a reporter for The Nation who has worked closely with Joseph Wilson — and Newsweek’s Michael Isikoff wrote that

Prior to the leak, [Valerie Plame Wilson] had started to change her status from nonofficial cover to official cover. She was in the process of leaving the Joint Task Force on Iraq to assume a personnel management position within the CIA. After sixteen years in operations, she wasn’t relishing the new job. But others at the agency had advised her to put in some time as an administrator to rise through the ranks. She wanted to maintain official cover so she could return to operations. But her need for deep-cover NOC [nonofficial cover] status had passed. The paperwork for this transition was in motion when Novak’s column hit.

That passage, if correct, suggests that Mrs. Wilson was not performing in any deep-cover capacity, and perhaps not in any classified capacity at all, when the Novak column was published. But she nevertheless maintained a classified status, with the possibility — perhaps made somewhat remote by her husband’s increasingly high-profile actions — of returning to covert work in the future. That, together with her own actions like attending the Senate Democratic Policy Committee or meeting with Nicholas Kristof, fueled confusion and enormous controversy about her status. I think that, given all of what we know today, my description of her status was accurate.[/quote]

article.nationalreview.com/?q=Y2 … hiY2FjNDA=

So let me know what you have to say to his response.

Also, we have Plame and Wilson now on record in a number of, er, lies. Would MFGR wish to challenge the assertion that Wilson and Plame have “lied” perhaps wishing to challenge the facts on this? So was Plame “undercover” or was it “covert” or was it “classified” or was it “technically classified” or what?

As to the little bit pregnant analogy, I would suggest that the difference between negligent homicide or manslaughter and murder one would be a more apt comparison. What do you think?

Again, we know who is guilty. The person is Armitage. Why oh why is NO ONE on the Democrat side willing to take him down. Go for it! And take Rove with you if you want! But why Libby?