Scooter license

If you don’t have a license in Taiwan will insurance still pay out in the event of a crash? I thought that was the biggest reason to get a license in Taiwan – the fine didn’t seem like a big deal (I have yet to see a police officer stop someone here who wasn’t just running a red light), but being liable for all damages out of pocket (even if the crash wasn’t my fault) was enough to make me go get the license

Ugh. I’ve been out of the United States so long I forgot how regressive it is.
To best of my knowlege, in Taiwan, it’s a vehicle that is insured and not the drivers.
In my accident, I was under licensed. Either I got partial credit for having a 50cc license or as they’ve been phased out, I got partial credit for having a car license.
The accident, was not my fault. The other driver was a young woman She didn’t have any license. Her fine was double mine. both of us were driving family member’s scooters
I’m sure her insurance company took care of the damages.
don’t think it’s true that an unlicensed driver will be made to pay for an accident that was not his or her fault. that would be immoral.

1 Like

This is very good to know.

I’m currently in the market for a Gogoro. Do vehicles come insured? Or, do I purchase insurance separately from the DMV?

If you’re buying a Gogoro new then they will offer to organise the compulsory insurance for you. You can accept or you can sort it out yourself with an insurance company (not the DMV). The payout on compulsory insurance is all the same and the price is pretty much the same no matter where you buy it, so it doesn’t really matter.

Compulsory insurance only pays out for injury to the opposing driver if you’re at fault. If you want coverage for yourself, passengers and vehicles then you need to organize that separately. My experience with that is the drivers covered all need to be named.

With regards to coverage if you don’t have a license, it’s not so simple. If you don’t have a license, you’re not covered. If you have a license but the wrong type of license, you might be covered under compulsory insurance depending on what vehicle it is and what license you have.

Further details here: https://makeawish1216.pixnet.net/blog/post/257660414-汽車保險-無照駕駛保險會賠嗎?

If you buy a new scooter , Gogoro at any motorcycle store , then the store will suggest you some Insurance package
However if you buy a second hand scooter and buy online then probably these scooters doesn’t have insurance and you will have to purchase insurance separately

I have insurance with Fubon ( 富邦產險 ), they have many types of insurance plans

1 Like