Scorpions

:thinking:

You missed the opportunity for some nice Scorpions…

1 Like

As urodacus says they can be pretty hard to see if you arent searching for them. Most people here dont know about them. They are also pretty small.

Any cracks and that may have htem but i find most in and amongst semi rotten wood where there are lots of termites and ants (seemingly a favorite food).

Have you ever tested, or read, if inmated females can possibly produce male offspring? I have always wanted to see this happen, if possible, but obviously unmated females need to be raised and tested. All mine before only produced girls.

There is a good paper on the subject by Lourenco

J. Venom. Anim. Toxins incl. Trop. Dis vol.14 no.1 Botucatu 2008

http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S1678-91992008000100003

REVIEW ARTICLES

Parthenogenesis in scorpions: some history – new data

Lourenço W. R.

National Museum of Natural History, Department of Systematics and Evolution, Arthropods, Arachnology Section, Paris, France

ABSTRACT

Parthenogenesis, a rare phenomenon in Chelicerates, apart from mites, is reviewed in scorpions, notably Tityus serrulatus Lutz & Mello from Brazil, Tityus columbianus (Thorell) from Colombia and Tityus metuendus Pocock from Peru and Brazil. Thelytokous parthenogenesis (with all-female broods) is most often observed. The only known exception to this is T. metuendus in which arrhenotoky (all-male broods) has been observed. In the present paper, current ideas regarding parthenogenesis in scorpions are summarized. The notion of geographic parthenogenesis (‘parthénogenèse géographique’), coined by Vandel in 1928, is discussed. This rule is tentatively exemplified by a new case of parthenogenesis reported in a scorpion of the genus Tityus C. L. Koch, inhabiting ‘Pico da Neblina’ in Brazil / Venezuela.

1 Like

thus, all-female broods are the norm in Liocheles parthogeny

Nice article, thanks!

Its late so excuse but have always wondered these questions. Especially for those species which seem to appear to be parth. Or bisexual based on location. Do you think bisexual females are still capable of producing without a male if situations change?

Have gender transformations happened amongst species which have both parthenogenic and bisexual relations. As with some species, which can change into a female, has this happened with any parthenogenic species and allow some.gene transferring to happen? These things i am very much ignorant about but the idea is fascinating!