SCOTUS Patrol: What's Going On

The number of justices has changed 6 times.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/about/institution.aspx

It’s been nine for the last 150 years. Before that it got up to ten once. Roosevelt wanted 15. Democrats are talking about increasing it to 13. There’s no precedent for that.

1 Like

Just go ahead and admit you’re wrong it’s never gotten past the talking point, rather than trying to pretend you were talking no precedent for a specific number. :stuck_out_tongue:

150 years of convention is precedent. Expanding the Court to 13 justices is unprecedented.

2 Likes

150 years is a long time.

How long has it been since a Senate Majority Leader refused to even hold a hearing on a presidential nominee?

Democrats should use their control of Congress and the White House to pass a law requiring timely confirmation hearings of presidential nominees. They should follow that up with a Constitutional amendment.

Why would they take away a low hanging fruit of contention?

There’s no way that’d be low hanging fruit, or i doubt it would pass.

Reducing a major cause of gridlock in Washington would be a much better use of their time in power than turning the Supreme Court into a political circus.

You mean rather than joining the circus that’s already there.

The argument is low hanging fruit. That’s what I meant.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2021/12/10/rcps_wegmann_to_wh_do_you_have_the_votes_to_codify_abortion_rights_into_law.html

Better do it fast.

Abortion pills via mail. Thanks FDA for having our best interest at heart. Can’t wait until TikTok pranks pregnant moms.

1 Like

The possibility of women being prosecuted for having an abortion or for ordering pills online from a pharmacy — anywhere — is horrific. No one should have to risk incarceration for exercising control over their own bodies. But that’s the world we are headed into if Roe vs. Wade is overturned.

Horrific and most likely hyperbolic.

Did they really need this law? How many botched abortion babies lived and then were let die? Sounds like a horror movie.

Well, when you have a governor of Virginia letting you know his plan on how to kill a baby after it was born, I guess maybe?

“We have hospitals that are almost at full capacity with people severely ill on ventilators. We have over 100,000 children, which we’ve never had before, in serious condition, many on ventilators,” she said.

Rhetorical hyperbole? :crazy_face:

It doesn’t matter…she isn’t talking about the law at all…just as she avoids the subject on the abortion law case.

1 Like

I changed the thread title to simply what’s going on bc, I don’t wanna have eleventy threads on SCOTUS. :whistle: