SCOTUS Voids Animal Cruelty Video Law

Supreme Court voids law aimed at banning animal cruelty videos

[quote]The Supreme Court struck down a federal law Tuesday aimed at banning videos depicting graphic violence against animals, saying that it violates the constitutional right to free speech.

Chief Justice John J. Roberts Jr., writing for an eight-member majority, said the law was overly broad and not allowed by the First Amendment. He rejected the government’s argument that whether certain categories of speech deserve constitutional protection depends on balancing the value of the speech against its societal costs. [/quote]

Justice Alito was the lone dissent. The majority found this law to be unconstitutional but didn’t rule on the constitutionality of a more narrowly written law “limited to crush videos or other depictions of extreme animal cruelty”.

[quote=“lbksig”]Supreme Court voids law aimed at banning animal cruelty videos

[quote]The Supreme Court struck down a federal law Tuesday aimed at banning videos depicting graphic violence against animals, saying that it violates the constitutional right to free speech.

Chief Justice John J. Roberts Jr., writing for an eight-member majority, said the law was overly broad and not allowed by the First Amendment. He rejected the government’s argument that whether certain categories of speech deserve constitutional protection depends on balancing the value of the speech against its societal costs. [/quote]

Justice Alito was the lone dissent. The majority found this law to be unconstitutional but didn’t rule on the constitutionality of a more narrowly written law “limited to crush videos or other depictions of extreme animal cruelty”.[/quote]
I actually agree with some of the ruling although i’d like someone to crush those that commit this cruelty under a large gravel truck, film it and then have the right to watch it. I’d pay to see those animal crushers get crushed

Well naturally. I mean, videos of just common animal cruelty, such as dogs being forced to rip each other limb from limb in pit fights, should obviously be legal. It’s what God wants. Now extreme animal cruelty, that would be beyond the pale. :roll:

Well naturally. I mean, videos of just common animal cruelty, such as dogs being forced to rip each other limb from limb in pit fights, should obviously be legal. It’s what God wants. Now extreme animal cruelty, that would be beyond the pale. :unamused:[/quote]

they are not forced to fight that is incorrect.They are genetically bred to fight and put in the position by man to do so. They are also not ripped to pieces and usually do not die in the fight. But yes it is wrong but no need to go over the top there in your description. Have you seen legal dog fighting in Japan ? It is boring and no where near the level of cruelty seen in a crush video.

Both are cruel but crush videos in my opinion are far crueler. The ruling should either make crush videos illegal or legalize the filming of all blood sports. It is weird how you you can still watch cock fighting on pay per view. It’s all damn weird ! In my subjective opinion crushing animals to death has to be right at the top of the cruelty lists almost up there with screaming monkey brain. cock fighting is down at the bottom under factory farming. It’s all subjective and relative, laws must be consistent or people will break them more willingly.

Lets all jut go Vegan then the answer is solved! Happy animals

I just wiki’d crush videos. Damn! Its women in high heels stomping on roaches and gerbils and such, for – gulp – people to jack off to.

Goddamn, but I must be getting OLD! :loco:

[quote=“sandman”]I just wiki’d crush videos. Damn! Its women in high heels stomping on roaches and gerbils and such, for – gulp – people to jack off to.

Goddamn, but I must be getting OLD! :loco:[/quote]

I just don’t get it. What the feuk is wrong with city folk.

That’s as sick as badger baiting except more weird as badger baiters don’t all stand around in a circle wanking themselves off while watching the badger getting baited.

This disturbs me.

Is this an American perversion or has it gone global?

ah i must be getting old too. I’ll be ready to say good bye to this perverted human sewage pool when the time comes

[quote=“sandman”]I just wiki’d crush videos. Damn! Its women in high heels stomping on roaches and gerbils and such, for – gulp – people to jack off to.

Goddamn, but I must be getting OLD! :loco:[/quote]

Jeez - I must be getting old and senile. When I first read the OP, without reading the linked article, I thought "Cool, they’re doing that so that animal anti-cruelty societies can show footage of the horrors of certain industries (inhumane meat industry, animal trapping, etc.). Now, having read the article and also having newly learned of crush videos, I may never look at my fellow human beings in quite the same way. I though I was jaded before - I already had a pretty dim view of humanity. But this is mind-boggling. A bunch of sick bastards out there. Live and learn, unfortunately.