Scotus

So, let’s all put aside all the bickering about what Trump / Biden did or did not knowingly do. We all agree that the recent info about Alito and Thomas and the big dollar trips they didn’t report is fucked up, right? Anyone disagree they should hold themselves to the code of conduct lower judges do? Thoughts on appropriateness of impeachment for taking and not reporting hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of benefits?

2 Likes

I agree that it’s fucked up and it’s good that, as of last March, it’s no longer allowed but it appears to have been legal when Thomas avoided disclosure:

Stephen Gillers, author of perhaps the leading judicial ethics textbook, said that Thomas’ failure to disclose all this is “arguably legal, the key word being arguably.” The code of judicial ethics that applies to all federal judges has rules that require reporting of all gifts and travel paid for by others, but until last month, those rules had an exception for private travel and hospitality paid for by a personal friend who had no cases currently pending before the court. That appears to be the provision that Thomas believes has allowed him to avoid disclosure of his privately financed travel.
– NPR

1 Like

1 - IIRC, one of the businesses Harlan was involved in had at least 1 case involving SCOTUS.
2 - are you really friends if you’re bought?
32a - I thought I saw something where harlan was asked if he’d be friends with Thomas if he wasn’t on SCOTUS and he slow rolled that. I’ll have to try and dig that up…
3 - there’s still that overriding principal of ethics that isn’t about just what’s required

I am no lawyer so tbh my opinions on this are irrelevant. That said Legal Eagle did do a video on it. So that’s my best educated legal opinion on this matter :sweat_smile:

It’s unethical for judges to receive expensive gifts from anyone in my opinion and I think less of Thomas for allowing himself to be bought. Rather than just requiring disclosure of gifts to judges though I would forbid them entirely.

1 Like

RGB also took gratuities. Don’t see you complaining about her.

Good luck with impeaching a justice on SCOTUS.

1 Like

They all do. Which is problematic. I’m not bringing up any of those, but that doesn’t mean it’s not problematic. These appear particularly problematic due to the size, buddy buddy nature of partnering billionaires with justices, and nondisclosure. By all means, bring up anything specific regarding RBG you wish.

I’d be fine with the rules governing military and contractors - about a $20 limit.

Yes this is your opinion. But there is no law against it.

The nine U.S. Supreme Court Justices are the only federal judges not bound by the Code of Conduct for U.S. Judges,

“While Supreme Court justices must adhere to some ethical requirements set by federal statute, they are not bound by any rules that include “the full sweep of basic ethical principles” that apply to other judges”

https://www.americanbar.org/advocacy/governmental_legislative_work/publications/washingtonletter/feb-23-wl/scotus-ethics-0223wl/

Yep.