Scuba Diving in Penghu

Hi All,

Im going to Penghu in a few weeks and am reaaaallllly itching to dive! im an advanced open water and have all my gear with me!

Any information would help. I speak Chinese-- not fluently but can get by just fine

I really want to set up a dive! help!

thanks!
J

If anyone has real information for this, I’d sure like to know as well. Lonely Planet says nothing on it. Green Island seems like where the good diving’s at.

It isn’t so much that there isn’t scuba diving in Penhgu, it’s just that the infrastructure isn’t there. You’ll have to check around Makung once you get out there, or hit the local Dive shops in Taipei for more information.

Penghu is very windy, has huge tidal exchanges and probably keeps the best dive sites in Taiwan under weather lock and key with very few days when the tumblers align.

This time of year the predominant NE winds will keep much of Penghu un-diveable windswept and cold.

The best diving is reputed to be around Dong ji Dao, but with the plethoria of shallow reef out there, on the right calm day with a chase boat…Ahhh. Paradise.

I was out there in 1990, and hopped off a boat between islands to do some snorkeling. The current had to have been 6knots or better (I know, you say bullshit, but wait until you get out there). The hard coral reef I saw in about 5meters of water was very intricate and extensive. I’ve never had the opportunity to dive out there, much for the same reasons you aren’t finding much information.

Water temp in Penghu right now on the surface is around 21C. Thats 5mm and a hood, and after the first thermocline you’ll be dipping into the high teens.

There are a couple of instructors from down south that regularly post here…Maybe they can pipe in with more information.

Even a 15 minute Flickr search only yielded a few underwater photos, which confirm that there is some damn fine hard coral reef out there.

Wish I had more for you…Sorry.

[quote=“MJB”]It isn’t so much that there isn’t scuba diving in Penhgu, it’s just that the infrastructure isn’t there. You’ll have to check around Makung once you get out there, or hit the local Dive shops in Taipei for more information.

Penghu is very windy, has huge tidal exchanges and probably keeps the best dive sites in Taiwan under weather lock and key with very few days when the tumblers align.

This time of year the predominant NE winds will keep much of Penghu un-diveable windswept and cold.

The best diving is reputed to be around Dong ji Dao, but with the plethoria of shallow reef out there, on the right calm day with a chase boat…Ahhh. Paradise.

I was out there in 1990, and hopped off a boat between islands to do some snorkeling. The current had to have been 6knots or better (I know, you say bullshit, but wait until you get out there). The hard coral reef I saw in about 5meters of water was very intricate and extensive. I’ve never had the opportunity to dive out there, much for the same reasons you aren’t finding much information.

Water temp in Penghu right now on the surface is around 21C. Thats 5mm and a hood, and after the first thermocline you’ll be dipping into the high teens.

There are a couple of instructors from down south that regularly post here…Maybe they can pipe in with more information.

Even a 15 minute Flickr search only yielded a few underwater photos, which confirm that there is some damn fine hard coral reef out there.

Wish I had more for you…Sorry.[/quote]

No, that’s a ton! By the way, where are these local dive shops you speak of? Very curious!