Searching for a class to learn Chinese

I have come to Taipei on a job posting and am searching for a class to learn Chinese (mainly speaking…but also a bit of writing).

Although I currently can speak some Chinese, I am very much a beginner.

I will prefer a group class - advantages of shared costs + opportunity to make friends. The class needs to be part time, either late in the evening or on weekends. I stay near Ta-an park. So any class close to this area will be preferred.

Can anybody suggest some classes / universities that I can join?

Thanks.

TLI at Xinyi/Jinshan does group classes fairly close to Da’an park.

Check out Taiwan Culture University. It’s just across JianKuo (JianGuo) road from the southeast corner of Ta-an park.

Not sure if you have the same problem, but I found that the classes are everyday. If you find anything that is only 2 or 3 nights a week (M, T, W, or Thurs) please let me know.

All classes I have found are designed for people that need student visas. Sounds like you have a work visa and I don’t need a visa either. If anyone else is in the same situation and only want class 2 or 3 nights a week let me know.

I had the same problem before. I was lucky to join a MWF group at TLI. There were about 5 of us in the class and it eventually broke up when 3 of the students dropped out for various reasons.

Contact the local TLI’s (on Xin Yi and Roosevelt). If there isn’t a class already going that you can join, they can at least get your name and call you if others come in looking for just 2-3 classes a week. I think they need at least three to get a class going, but check with them on that. No guarantees, but at least possibility!

TLI on Roosevelt is starting a beginners group class in first week of June. This will be MWF from 7:30 to 9:30 at night. I am planning to join that.

Thanks for the tip, but I don’t want to go on Friday nights.