Searching for the name of song

When I was in Taipei I overheard a part of a song (it was playing loudly in a bar I was walking by) that stuck in my head. Few days later I heard the song again when I was shopping in 7/11. Each time it was sung by different female vocalist and it sounded slightly different, so I think it was maybe some more well-known song that was covered by several artists…?
As for the song it was typical sweet pop song, sung in mandarin (probably) by female vocalist, it was in medium-slow tempo (maybe around 70-75bpm) and the vocals melody reminded my of famous Pachelbels canon in D for some reason. Basically the vocalist would sing few syllables (or probably they were words) and she would start high and then drop a little bit lower for a few words and then another drop and another and then she would go back high.
Not much information, I know, but maybe it really is some famous song and someone will recognize it…

Don’t you have Shazam or Soundhound? Or even a recording with your phone.

If you know some of the lyrics it would make that easier.

3 Likes

Lol all the words after the “mandarin” doesn’t really narrow it down. Maybe it was different songs?

1 Like

My Way. Elvis Presley. 1977 live version.

5 Likes

Reminds me of one of my favourite internet moments of 2022.

And, believe it or not, someone did indeed give the right answer. So there’s hope for the OP! (Even though I can provide nothing useful.)

1 Like

Isn’t there an app where you can hum it and get suggestions?

As for the humming - unfortunately no, this happened like month ago and I remember only those brief impressions i wrote above. I would recognize the song if I heard it but I cant reproduce it.

Is there something like hit list of songs that are currently aired on radio? Or basically some kind of list of currently popular songs?

Soundhound, formerly Midomi, used to advertise that functionality. I could never get it to work.

It’s part of Google search now. (At least on my Android phone). It’s frighteningly good. I’ve used it to identify some catchy Taiwanese songs as well that the taxi drivers love to blast :laughing:

Let it go? Frozen soundtrack?

Let it go - unfortunately no, I know that song so I would recognize it. Actually that Elvis Presley song mentioned earlier does remind me of the song, at least a little bit from the start. I tried searching for taiwanese vesion but I didnt find anything.

The other bits about that song I remember are - music was based on piano but there were more instruments in the background, music and the general style of the song did sound little bit kitsch in asian style (think of River flows in you by Yiruma ), vocals were bright and clear (not husky, whispering etc.), my general impression was of (annoyingly) sweet kitsch love song.

I went through some taiwanese music charts I found on apple music and spotify but so far no luck :smiling_face_with_tear: Next I will try to find some taiwanese online pop radio - do you have any tips?

1 Like

David Tao and Jolin Tsai. Marry Me.

Maybe this?

unfortunately no, this is a bit modern sounding, my song had more like 90s feeling

I went through all of those songs but no luck, also most of those love songs were “serious” or “sad”, my song had more upbeat and happy atmosphere :sweat_smile:

1 Like

My brain just read the the thread title, minus the last word, to the tune of

Any update?

Unfortunately I havent been able to find my song. And I probably wouldnt recognize that song now anyway even if I heard it again. But as I was going through some spotify playlists I discovered 2 songs I really like so at least I got something from this search. And actually one of those two songs is somewhat similar to the song I was searching for - Fish Leong " 沒有如果" (really cute name :sweat_smile: ) And who knows, maybe it was this song…? I guess Ill never know…

1 Like

I’m just guessing, based on a list somebody posted:

I got the above two items from this page:

Just in passing, that melody, or some version of it, seems to have played some kind of role in a couple of romantic comedies–

–a 2001 Korean one–

My Sassy Girl - Wikipedia

–and a 2008 American one–

My Sassy Girl (2008 film) - Wikipedia