Searching

I just did a search on “Windows 98” (without the quotes) searching all items in the Technology Forum and got no results. How can this be ?

Try again. I got 68 hits in the Technology forum.

I just tried a search on “rent” and “car”, and it came up with 19 matches, but none of the two or three threads that I remember where people specifically asked and posted about renting a car here in Taiwan in the past 9 months or so.

I then went through my posts because I remembered that I had started a thread in september and found it, titled: “Rent a car in Taipei” forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?p=3 … ght=#33393

I had to go further to find the other one where I had posted some more information:
forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?p=3 … ght=#38357

Both threads didn’t come up during a number of searches with different terms and wildcards. Is there any way to solve this?

Apart from the fact that I could only find the threads because I remembered posting about the topic, it’s getting harder to go through my own posts. :blush: When I click on “All posts by iris”, it shows the first and last three pages. Would there be any way to enable one to jump somewhere in between the 39 pages? So, that, when I’m looking for a post that I know I wrote in January, I don’t have to click through every single page to get there?

Just wondering
Iris

I did a search with the term “Riverside” and restricted the search to the “Restaurants, Bars & Clubs” forum. There are at least three threads where the Riverside Cafe is mentioned. But only the current thread came up. Is that intention? Just a feature that can’t be changed? What’s the seach function for when you don’t find what you’re searching for?

Iris

My searches have also been failing to turn up stuff, and I’ve had to look through forums manually.

I confess – the search index tables were not copied over in the last Forumosa makeover 3 months ago.

The search index is the largest table of the system – it was over 150MB at the time.

Instead of tranfering it over, I decided to wait for a suitable time to “re-index” the forums. Since there is a way to re-build the search index, I wanted to save myself the effort (uploading and downloading the dataset is a real pain in the neck) and quietly re-index after I get my DSL set up in my new apt.

Unfortunately, my DSL aint up, and my early several attempts at re-indexing the search tables all failed. I managed to get as far as 20% after 4 hours. And this was 2 months ago.

I will re-index the website (someday) and I’ll announce when this happens.

Sorry for all the trouble

Many thanks to Maoman for running the Rebuild Search function (estimated time: 13 hours!)

People, please report here if the search function for this forum is working well now.

Many thanks

[quote=“iris”]I just tried a search on “rent” and “car”, and it came up with 19 matches, but none of the two or three threads that I remember where people specifically asked and posted about renting a car here in Taiwan in the past 9 months or so.

I then went through my posts because I remembered that I had started a thread in september and found it, titled: “Rent a car in Taipei” [/quote]

I just tested this out and the search worked – it DID include the Rent a car in Taipei thread.

TIP: if you simply typed rent car and hit Search, you would have come up with 247+ matches. But if you ALSO chose “Include ALL terms” – below the search box – this would narrow down the matches to 38. This is because the other 200-odd posts have ONLY ‘rent’ or ‘car’ in their messages – not both