Second-hand bookstores / Booktrading

Wanted to bump this to the top, to see if there are any updates.
Thannks!
-Noob

Iā€™m not a bookstore, but I have 100s of general fiction type books in varying conditions that need a new home. Thriller, adventure type stuff mostly, with some more literary stuff in there as well.

Can you put a partial list? :smiley:

Letā€™s see.

Nelson DeMille
Robert Ludlum
Len Deighton
Jeffrey Deaver
Irvine Welsh
Clive Cussler
Vince Flynn
Kyle Mills
Greg Iles
Harlan Coben
Stephen King
Lee Child
Ian Rankin
Michael Connelly

Iā€™ll add more tomorrow as I think of other authors.

Iā€™m seeking a history of Taiwan in English. Any suggestions?

Also, went to Whose Books yesterday and found it a sweet oasis. Itā€™s on N Zhongshan road sec. 6 just a block or two below the American School, bus 612 north from near zhishan mrt. Itā€™s upstairs of a toy shop. It had, maybe, 500+ English used books. Quite good prices, mostly popular fiction, also some nonfiction and like, a lot of books on baby care and spirituality. Maybe not ā€œa lotā€, but more than I would have imagined. Inexpensive drinks, quiet place to sit. Very very few French or German books; maybe only a handful; maybe a few hundred Japanese books, a lot of comics. A good many Chinese books, but I canā€™t tell anything about them.

[quote=ā€œgt2313aā€]Iā€™m seeking a history of Taiwan in English. Any suggestions?

Also, went to Whose Books yesterday and found it a sweet oasis. Itā€™s on N Zhongshan road sec. 6 just a block or two below the American School, bus 612 north from near zhishan MRT. Itā€™s upstairs of a toy shop. It had, maybe, 500+ English used books. Quite good prices, mostly popular fiction, also some nonfiction and like, a lot of books on baby care and spirituality. Maybe not ā€œa lotā€, but more than I would have imagined. Inexpensive drinks, quiet place to sit. Very very few French or German books; maybe only a handful; maybe a few hundred Japanese books, a lot of comics. A good many Chinese books, but I canā€™t tell anything about them.[/quote]

I recommend ā€˜Taiwan: A Political Historyā€™ by Denny Roy (2003) as the best general history. It focuses mostly on ā€˜modernā€™ Taiwan - that is, the last 100 years or so.

If you want earlier history go for the very detailed and scholarly ā€˜Statecraft and Political Economy on the Taiwan Frontier 1600-1800ā€™ by Robert Shepherd (1993).

See this thread: [url=Books on Taiwan: something for everyone on Taiwan: something for everyone[/url].

I wonder how many times someone has tried this. I imagine a few.

I am currently on the lookout for any and all unwanted second hand fiction and non-fiction (no textbooks or ESL material). I am in the beginning stages of amassing a collection in order to open a second hand bookstore in Hualien (where there are no bookstores of any kind).

I already have the space and the shelves, but they are mostly empty.

Iā€™d be willing to negotiate prices for the books and/or pay the shipping to get them down here. If youā€™ve got anything that you would like to donate/sell to me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Conversely, anyone who has attempted the second-hand bookstore thing before Iā€™d love to talk to you about the difficulties and fun of it all.

Anyway, anyone interested can PM me.

Thanks a lot!

Ecaps

There is a 2nd hand Charity shop in Taichung called Love Animals Second Hand Shop. Many people have donated books to the shop. I havenā€™t been at the shop recently, but I know that many people, including myself, have donated books to them to help out raising money for animal rescue. The shop is at 150 MinSheng Road in Taichung. Itā€™s near the National Taichung Education University. If you would like more information or cannot come to Taichung, send me a message and I will try to find some way for you to contact them.

I would love to find a place to buy cheap books in English. It seems the three stores, Iā€™ve been to in Taichung are a bit pricey and limited in their selection (Eslite, Caves, & Stepping Stones).

Does anyone know of a used book-store with a decent selection of books in English?

Yes, I do. the Love Animals Second Hand Shop at 150 Minsheng Road, in the basement, near the Taichung Eduction University. Lots of English 2nd hand books.

They have loads of English and Chinese books, and cheap!
Ecaps: Why not just open a second hand shop, donā€™t limit yourself to books.

[quote=ā€œEcapsā€]I wonder how many times someone has tried this. I imagine a few.

I am currently on the lookout for any and all unwanted second hand fiction and non-fiction (no textbooks or ESL material). I am in the beginning stages of amassing a collection in order to open a second hand bookstore in Hualian (where there are no bookstores of any kind).

I already have the space and the shelves, but they are mostly empty.

Iā€™d be willing to negotiate prices for the books and/or pay the shipping to get them down here. If youā€™ve got anything that you would like to donate/sell to me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Conversely, anyone who has attempted the second-hand bookstore thing before Iā€™d love to talk to you about the difficulties and fun of it all.

Anyway, anyone interested can PM me.

Thanks a lot!

Ecaps[/quote]

I got a couple of years worth of National Geographic magazines for sale if you are interested or anyone else is. They are this years and last.

I assume they are English fenlander? What are you asking?

Iā€™ve thought about this many times, I have bookshelves full of books that I will never read again (Iā€™m addicted to trashy novels) and am sure I could sell them - but how much would you really get for them? I mean at a couple of buck each you can get rid of 2-300 books pretty quick but take out rent and expenses and you wonā€™t be left with much.

The Bikefarm is no longer open, but the guy who used to run it has boxes of books for sale-only by the box. You can take what you like for yourself, and take the rest to Bongoā€™s or Grandma Nittiā€™s.

You can google Bikefarm to get his email address.

Iā€™m trying to pare down my personal library, and probably have a few fair-sized boxes to sell. If in Taipei/Banciao, drop me a line at the email below.

Here in Lotus Hill it seems there is always one resident or another tossing out a dozen books at a time. Typically most of them are Chinese, but also some English. Iā€™ve always thought someone could open a free library just by collecting the books over time. If we knew someone would buy them, or at least come collect them, it might not be too hard to set books aside from time to time ā€¦

Whatā€™s your personal recommendation of 2nd hand bookstores?

Looking to sell a few of my books. They are mostly sci-fi/fantasy/thriller novels.

Anyone know places that would give a decent price on them?