Second US Stimulus Check

I never selected anything for either stimulus. The first one was automatically and quickly deposited into the account I use to pay my taxes. When I didn’t receive the second one as quickly as others, I checked the website, which said a check was scheduled to be mailed on Jan. 6. The mailing address the IRS has on file for me is a US address, not Taiwan.

I don’t know then.

I just e filed. I can’t find anything about reporting foreign income, and to be honest with you I just did not report any. I earned less than 10,000 dollars last year anyways, so if the IRS wants to check (they can feel free to) I have fuck all in my bank account. I don’t know what I earned last year, did not keep track but I’m 100% positive that I did not even break over the 5000 dollar threshold.

The “T” stands for theory

Self-employment income requires payment of 15.3% FICA tax from dollar zero.

Thanks, Einstein. Other scientific theories include gravity, evolution, and (if you prefer to stick to economics), supply and demand. Theories aren’t mere hypotheses— they are the closest thing science has to facts. Again, it doesn’t matter if you “believe in” them. What matters is the research. I’m gonna listen to modern economists on this one over some rando on the Internet.

2 Likes

Physics is science. Economics is pseudo-science.

A 2019 survey of leading economists by the University of Chicago Booth’s Initiative on Global Markets showed a unanimous rejection of assertions attributed by the survey to Modern Monetary Theory: “Countries that borrow in their own currency should not worry about government deficits because they can always create money to finance their debt” and “Countries that borrow in their own currency can finance as much real government spending as they want by creating money”.

1 Like

Notwithstanding the fact that modern economics is closer to religion than science, apparently the difference between social science and physical science is lost on you.

Oh, lovely, the old “social sciences aren’t real science” anti-intellectual trope. Please go to school and come back when you’re ready to have an educated conversation.

3 Likes

If you don’t recognize the difference between social and physical sciences, and to the extent that you would compare Modern Monetary “Theory” to the theories of gravity and evolution, I’d guess you spent too much time and money getting a liberal arts “education”. Please deal with your indoctrination and come back when you’re ready to have an intellectually coherent conversation.

My money is that most of the social sciences will eventually be explained with the physical sciences. Our understanding is just too poor still.

1 Like

Goodbye E = mc². Hello E = critical race theory².

The difference is physics works EVERY SINGLE TIME. It is like clockwork. There are no exceptions, randomness, just physics. Let go of something and it drops until it hits the ground or whatever surface it is on top of. Impart a force onto an object, and it accelerates until the force is no longer applied, and keeps going until another force (gravity, air drag, etc.) slows it down.

But economics depend on human behavior. While human behavior follows certain patterns (which we can apply scientific principles to), it is still human behavior and it means it will not always happen a certain way, but it most likely will happen a certain way. For example, can you perform a certain dollar amount of work and get 10x the money for the value of your work? Not always going to happen but it can happen. You can also only get 1/10th the amount of money for your work as well. While systems exist to make sure you or your employers aren’t cheated they’re still subject to human behavior, laws, etc. and as a result it isn’t 100%.

So we can’t call it hard science for this reason.

1 Like

In other words they’re still in their alchemy stage, propagating such theories as endless supplies of free money growing on trees.

Definition of alchemy

1 : a medieval chemical science and speculative philosophy aiming to achieve the transmutation of the base metals into gold, the discovery of a universal cure for disease, and the discovery of a means of indefinitely prolonging life

This is drifting from the thread topic quite a bit.

use this to track it…

Wifey harnessed the power of Google and found out there’s no tax on the stimulus money so I had to give her another 200
Dang

The IRS does have my banking info from prior taxes for the last stimulus money I got in the form of a physical check and this time I got it in the form of a debit card

Both mailed to me

Yea any sort of dealing with human behavior, or anything to do with sentient beings, can’t be predicted with science with 100% certainty. 98% certainty, sure, but not 100%. Like even with animal behavior it’s the same. Cats will for example chase and kill mice/small rats 80% of the time but it is far from certain, like there are instances of cat and mouse being friends (even if conventional wisdom says this is not possible).

That is why we call things like economics, social, or political soft science. Because hard science is 100% certain. There is no wiggle room with math and science. 1+1 will ALWAYS equal 2. 2 balls of different mass will ALWAYS hit the ground at the same time if let go at the same height, and not accounting for air resistance or size of the ball.

And with economics and finances, there is always a chance of irrational behavior.

I don’t make as much as people in the private sector who do similar things, but I don’t qualify for a stimulus check either. But this is interesting:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/personalfinance/my-coworker-owns-10-homes-9-of-which-are-rented-how-did-he-get-a-stimulus-check-while-i-didn-t/ar-BB1cyS88?ocid=msedgdhp

Eh. Not a surprise - real estate is one of the biggest write offs ever; doubly so if he claims himself as a qualified real estate professional.