Second US Stimulus Check

A close friend of mine who has ties to Washington says expats will not be excluded.

They want this to go quickly with little trouble. So will just automatically send to everyone who got it the first time excluding those that passed away post January 2020.

Here’s to hoping!
:beers:

2 Likes

Election time haha. Come buy my vote!!!

3 Likes

Absolutely right. And nobody wants to rock the boat when it comes to absentee ballots. It’s a risky unknown this time around.

Good news! Looks like US Citizens living overseas will be included again.

This week, the Republicans announced a new stimulus plan called the HEALS (Health, Economic Assistance, Liability Protection, and Schools) Act. The plan contains a provision for a second round of stimulus checks. Once again, expats will receive the new checks just like Americans living in the US.

3 Likes

I wonder when it will be sent out? I got a check last time, but I’m moving so I’m worried about how I will get the check.

You should be fine if you kept the same banking details you shared with the irs last time, and you got the first check ok.

I mean, you should be ok in the short run. If the Dems take control of government, taxes are going up. And if Dems are running things, there is no way US GDP can outpace the public debt. That can only happen under a GOP government. Dems will have to figure out a way to sic antifa on the debt or, for once, justify their insatiable spending.

In the long run we’re all fucked if the Democrat party runs things. God help us.

Things to keep in mind.

I got a physical check.

Even more than 1200?

Do you have more information about this? I thought the the CARES Act only lets you withdraw penalty free, and allows taxes for the withdrawal to be paid over a three year time period. The regular income tax rates still apply.

I doubt it.
It looks like it will be the same amount as before.

From what I understand, the first checks were sent to the address you submitted on your most recent tax return (mine came this way).
My friend here in Taiwan hasn’t filed a US tax return in a number of years (yeah, I know), but he was still able to get a check by using this site: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-filers-enter-payment-info-here Perhaps there’s information there about what to do if you’ve moved.

Trump is doing a great job with the economy!

1 Like

Good update. Very unbiased and gives good info. It’s not going well.

Yeah, how does sending money to expats stimulate the US economy?

1 Like

If expats didn’t have to file and pay taxes, I get your point. But we do. It would be bullshit to the extreme if they actually exclude expats. The IRS doesn’t get to snoop on our foreign banking assets with FATCA and make us file taxes and not give us the stimulus.

If the IRS left us alone, fair game. But they don’t.

3 Likes

My prediction: It will happen next week.

1 Like

I agree. Both sides wants to draw hard lines to start. But as time goes by, the more people get pissed. Americans aren’t the most patient and people do really need help ASAP. Neither party wants to be the one that is the one holding it up.

At least that is my hope they avoid playing political games to try to win the election at the cost of Americans right now.

1 Like

Well there’s the FEIE. If you earn beyond the exclusion and actually pay tax then, well, you wouldn’t qualify for the stimulus. At least not the first one.

Not saying it would be right to exclude expats, but just playing devil’s advocate. Expats receiving the stimulus theoretically didn’t pay taxes to the IRS.

1 Like

It’s highly unlikely expats would have never paid taxes their entire life. I think every single one of us here have paid taxes abroad or in the states at some point. Isn’t this what we paid taxes for?

Perhaps. I’m just saying that in this case, you aren’t paying taxes currently. That seemed to be the implication although as I said it doesn’t make the argument right or wrong.

But do you think taxpayers making over $75k should get the stimulus also? Isn’t that what we pay taxes for?

1 Like