Security camera in front of my room

I’m a little confused about the situation: is this some sort of shared apartment, where you’ve got your own room, but have a common living room, kitchen, and bathroom? And so the camera technically wouldn’t be directed at any “private” areas, but rather just to areas in common, shared by multiple tenants?

I still think it’s appalling to have cameras in that sort of situation, but I suppose that could affect the legality.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure in the US you can’t have a security camera with another person’s door in the frame. That’s part of why Ring and other “welcome, surveillance state overlords. I do not value my privacy in any way” cameras are so controversial (among many, many, many other reasons…)

1 Like

Yeah, that sort of thing is what makes me wonder if it’s some sort of shared living area, where only the OP’s own room legally would qualify as private, and the rest of it wouldn’t. (The thread title also suggests that: it’s “in front of my room”, not “in my apartment”.)

Legally, I can see this making some sense, even though I still think it’s awful. I guess AirBnB rules are similar? Cameras allowed, but not in bathrooms or bedrooms.

Why would anyone agree to rent an apartment they know has security cameras on the inside? :thinking:

3 Likes

I think having another door in the view varies state to state and city to city.

That’s mean

1 Like

My lawyer is better.

1 Like

It is a shared living area. Moving in I was in a rush to find a place so I moved in here because it’s beautiful and newly renovated. But when I was already here I realized how that camera focusing in my room was making me feel uncomfortable. I googled it and found that it’s legal unless it’s directed to a room but not sure about in Taiwan. There are other rooms here and only mine is directed, the landlord told me that it was installed in case of any accident or fire in the kitchen, but my room is next to it so that’s why.

3 Likes

It is mean of your landlord to put cameras in the house.

Dayyyuuummmm

NOTE: While this is coming from a lawyer, I cannot claim it as legal advice. If you have questions, contact him on the business card for official legal advice. Consider this as a guide to point you in the right direction.

8 Likes

And there we go, Forumosa!
Only 30 posts to get the first answer to OP’s inquiry!
:joy:

6 Likes

TEAMWORK ftw!

3 Likes

That’s not the answer to the question. OP asked whether it’s legal if the camera is directed to his room.

edit: Oops. My bad. Misread the comment.

I don’t think the comment is about you. It’s about the situation/law.

1 Like

Did you notice I said the “first answer”, meaning I’m expecting others and more complete ones to come?

1 Like

I’m saying the law is dumb

1 Like

You know what’s funnier is that that’s probably an IP cam without any security, so anyone with the IP can probably watch it.

Like here http://www.insecam.org/

1 Like

Oh… yeah it is. Wish I could do something about it

1. I googled it… but still wasn’t sure about Taiwan and most specifically about it being focusing in my door.
  2. I have no idea. She said no one watches it only if there’s any problem. I do not believe this.
  3. They said they needed it for the kitchen in case of any fire or problem
  4. I needed a place ASAP but didn’t really think I would care about the cameras. I don’t really, only the one pointing at me… watching every time I get out and in the room.

It IS creepy… I always wonder who’s watching me. Sometimes I wave and make faces to the camera wondering if they see me.

Also another thing is the listening… I have no idea if they can only watch me or also listen to it. I do know listening is illegal (google) but not sure how I would now if they do.

2 Likes

Could I actually contact this lawyer? The CCTV is just a tiny problem about this place. They want to keep most of my deposit and I do not want to give any extra dime to her