Security guards packing heat

During my usual daily walk around the city I see various security guards from different companies delivering cash to businesses and ATM’s
Usually they are armed to the teeth with pepper spray, batons and those over-sized electronic bug zappers.
Today however I saw 3 security guards getting out of the elevator in the MTR station pushing the trolley that contains the MTR takings.
I’ve seen these guys before but never took much notice.
They were wearing a matching uniform but it had no names or markings on it, each were wearing body armor and helmet.
Only once I got closer did I realize that all 3 were carrying shoulder slung automatic weapons.
Smaller than a M16 but bigger than an Uzi.
Each had a pistol grip and a folded back stock and a curved magazine that pointed forwards.
I thought security guards were not allowed to be armed in Taiwan.
Maybe they were fake guns just worn for show…
I didn’t see them carrying their usual pepper spray, batons or bug zapper however.
For a brief second I thought of reaching out and tapping one of the guns with my finger nail to see if it was metal or plastic, but these guys already seemed a bit nervous with the presence of a burly foreigner.
Anyone else seen security guards carrying guns?

Plan to rob the money train? I’d say go for it.

The armored car guys like you saw are armed.

Yes. There’s one down the street from me. He stands at what I think is the exit from an underground carpark. I don’t think it’s any sort of government building as it’s the wrong part of town for that. He has a pistol on his hip.

Government hired securities are strapped with real guns. The MRT is run by the government.

a real automatic. MP5. Now, with new folding stock.

I wonder what that would do to Ma.

Since gangsters are armed in Taiwan, it makes sense to be armed if you are a security guard. Theres been more incidents of armed robbery of cash carrying vehicles in the last few years.

What would be your weapon of choice if you were a guard?

I should think a small automatic pistol will be handy.

A pump action 12 gauge, open choke small shot. wide spread so aim is not much of a problem, hurts like hell but probably won’t kill someone unless they’re really close, so safer for bystanders and pedestrians. up close, though, they make a lot of mess in things.

the MP5 would be a useful choice too, as long as you could get it to a firing position fast enough from the sling. they are the weapon of choice for so many close range military and police units worldwide for good reason.

I worked briefly for an Armoured car company here in the USA. They all had a handgun as well as carry shotguns in their vehicles.

When a vehicle comes back, the standard welcome procedure was to open the outer gate to the compound (controlled by a guard in a bulletproof command post). The compound is otherwise deserted until a truck comes in. When the truck is backing up into the receiving area (a second gate to this area opens after the first gate is shut) they are met by at least 2 guards with shotguns aimed awaiting the driver and other guard to exit the truck. I guess this is to protect against an attack using an armoured truck that had been previously hijacked.

There are shotguns on the walls all over the receiving area for easy access.

Hardly worth it, patronage on the Orange line is pathetic, they could almost get away with running only a single car and you could still be guaranteed a seat.
I suppose if you were looking to score NT$2000 in 5’s and 10’s then it might be worth it.

[quote=“PeteDa”]
Smaller than a M16 but bigger than an Uzi.
Each had a pistol grip and a folded back stock and a curved magazine that pointed forwards.
quote]

Sounds like the Heckler and Koch boys to me. Nice choice for Urban Warfare.

Actually, for me, security guards here are overall not heavily armed. Back home, every nice restaurant has a security guard holding a either a machine gun or a semiautomatic Uzi cousin. Malls have towers like prisions.

And let’s not talk about bank transports. Those look like SWAT. You can’t approach them more than 50 meters or else.

I mean, back home, you cannot enter a bank or public office with a backpack, hat, even dark glasses. There are usually at least 5 security guards, all sour faced and armed with large semi automatic weapons -which I haven’t even seen in person here in Taiwan. Metal detectors are the norm at public places.

In Mega bank, I am greeted by an old guy who should be having tea and playing mayong in the park. At Fubon, a young lady helps me get the number right. I see no large weapons anywhere.

I mean, here at work -the Guvment- the guards carry a small pistol. The minister’s bodyguards carry a very cute, small semiautomatic, highly concealed. We have a garrison, but all I see is handsome, muscular guys in shorts running around the perimeter. Oh, and the decorative bayonets, that is the biggest weapon seen around.

In Spanish, we say: if you don’t owe it, don’t fear it. Once, there was a lunatic who tried something against the building. Fire alarms sounded, but no one moved a muscle. Weird, I thought. Half an hour later, I hear screams and running in the back of our office. Wanna know what it was?

A mouse. :unamused:

Saw two going into a Wellcome supermarket last night. One had both hands on his pistol, in front of his face, holding it upward, and looking right and left quickly as they moved from the armored car to the store. Nervous newbee? Or proper procedure? The ones in 101 have their stun weapons ready when they move, but their pistols on the hip.

Two days ago I saw the guys filling up the money machine inside Mcdonalds, parked outside was the money van…engine still running and the drivers door left slightly open…

Someone inside must have been having a smoke. :wink: