Seeking opinions/advice on current best options

This posting is being written in the hopes that I can get pointed in some good directions and hopefully get some good advice along the way. I have posted it in two threads because I don’t know which one it is better suited in. Mods please help, your decisions will be respected.

I am hitting a crossroads in my situation in Taiwan and need to know which is the best way to move. I have spent a lot of time reading postings on these forums that relate to my situation but still find it confusing and sometimes information seems dated.

To make it easier to follow I will bullet the important points

[color=red][b]

Hartzell is knowledgeable about Legal Matters. He is only an email away. He generally meets people in the lobby of where his office is in Nei Hu, Taipei.

Basically, if you are happy with your current work situation, then stay there for the time being. “Open Work Permits” apply to those married to Taiwan nationals. Permanent Residency is NT$10,000 if you meet the requirements. It is not a small piece of change, but then it does appear that P.R. gives you the right to apply with the CLA to get a work permit that lets you do anything. (You still have to apply, according to what I understand, as compared to the “foreign spouses” who do not even need to apply, when their residency is based on marriage.)

Renouncing US citizenship is not an option, since Taiwan is not considered a sovereign nation by the world community. Moreover . . . . when you travel to foreign countries on an ROC passport . . . . . who will believe you are “Chinese”?? Hence, they may suspect your passport is forged . . . . .

Moreover . . . . when you travel to foreign countries on an ROC passport . . . . . who will believe you are “Chinese”?? Hence, they may suspect your passport is forged . . . . .[/quote]

Really, I’ve never had more than the odd smirk when traveling on my ROC passport with my nice digital white face.

Do asians get their Euro or US Aussie Canadian passports scrutinized more carefully becuase they are not white.
It’s even more amusing to apply for your Compatriot Visa for China but they still let you in. And for Malaysia they give you your own travel document so they dont have to stamp your ROC passport.

Better yet is going back to your country of birth. They’ll just thinkyour eccentric… but most of the foreigners who live here long term are probably that way anyways. Especially those with ROC nationality.