Selfish person of the day (in Taiwan)

Good luck. just remember you are an adult, if he gets crazy, you have every right to stand your ground and demand respect. Preferably whilst remaining respectful yourself.

No one has to live in those types of circumstances.

I donā€™t think my uncle is going to let anything bad happen to me, or allow anyone to scam me. I donā€™t know anyone in Tainan and apart from 591 I wouldnā€™t know where else to find a house.

My only reservation about leaving is being able to find work. I donā€™t really want to work full time or overtime, and I feel like thatā€™s going to limit me to retail.

Not wanting to work will limit anyone anywhere. Thatā€™s nota Tainan problem :slight_smile:

I was more worried about what you said about your uncle being.crazy, superstitious etc. not others scamming.you. ultra extreme religious people often are the ones scamming you :wink: even family. if stress is the issue, might be nice to just get a job somewhere away from all family and rent a cheap place somewhere. rentals are everywhere. you dont need 591, that site is often over priced. rent a scooter and take a vacation. You wont regret it, even if you dont find your paradise.

also google wwoofing. there is a work exchange word in mandarin I am forgetting. numerous facebook groups etc. easy to find. itā€™s notg great financially, but you live and.eat free for helping them work. might be the escape/push you were looking for :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Constant complaining about Lutherism is also getting a bit old too. Just saying.

5 Likes

ā€œThe things you own, end up owning you.ā€ Tyler Durden, 1999.

3 Likes

Truth be told!

Usually would make fun of someone for referencing Tyler Durden for character advice, but here and there thereā€™s a winner.

3 Likes

5 Likes

BTW I like this connected crosswalk design! This way you remain in the crosswalk even when youā€™re transitioning between the two crossing directions. Havenā€™t seen this design in Kaohsiung.

2 Likes

As a Taipei cyclist, I recently visited Kaohsiung where I rented a Youbike. Five minutes into the ride I was nearly run over 3 times. (Yes, I had the right of way.) I realized to protect myself I had to switch off the Taipei mode of riding and just yield to motorists who cut me off. Kaohsiung drivers are selfish people.

8 Likes

taipei peeps have it easy, sidewalks n bike lanes n shit

Those of us down in äø­éƒØ and 南éƒØ the real gangstas. Raised by the street :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s surprising. I ride YouBikes almost every day, but Iā€™ve only almost been hit once. Some guy ran a red light.

Granted, drivers here usually like to stop at the last second possible for some reason.

2 Likes

Because in Ktown if your caught by a red light, you may as well put the kettle on and make yourself a cup of tea.

9 Likes

So they really are slower?!? Here I thought I was just being more impatient on the days when Iā€™m there. :laughing:

2 Likes

A lot of them are looooooooong

Like, sit for a while before the 99 second countdown starts, and then wait for a red line to blink for a while after that, long.

3 Likes

Why do they make them that long?

2 Likes

Incompetence

8 Likes

Itā€™s about 1 year old.That crossing has improved a lot. Apart from the dip shite in the photo it is a massive improvement. People were getting hit not infrequently there before. Yup good design but there is no accounting for dip shites who want to park there though

3 Likes

Oh I thought it was a Taiwan thing.

1 Like

To cut down on stop-and-go traffic, but you just end up waiting forever when coming out of a driveway because the chain of cars never end, since the light doesnā€™t change for 99 seconds.