Sell Me on Retiring in Taiwan for the Next 10 Years

Honestly the one thing that I really hate about Taiwan is the heat. I think I can deal with -30 much better than 30. If it’s cold I can light a fire, wear thick coats, etc. to deal with it, in the heat all you can do is turn on the AC. I don’t actually like AC that much, air feels artificial but unfortunately in Taiwan it is absolutely necessary.

I also don’t like crowds and too many people. However I never really see “rural” Taiwan because when going on the train between major cities the countryside doesn’t really seem visible, as in it’s just buildings and more buildings that span from Taipei all the way to Hsinchu.

I think I want to move to a more rural part of China to get away from it all, up north, so it’s not hot.

Good luck with that. I’m kind of asking about Taiwan though, so keep on topic, eh?

I like it down there as well. We’ll check it out for sure. Drove through in 2020.

Yup.

3 Likes

Awesome and surely permanent ferry service to Yonaguni.

Can’t beat that with a stick. No siree.

1 Like

My wife and I are moving back soon, too, if we can make the following location priorities work:

1. Close to wife’s family. (yeah, this counts for about 80% of the points)
  2. Within 5 min walk to closest MRT or airport rail line station (5 pts)
  3. Recent construction (i.e. no radioactive concrete, up to earthquake code) w/parking (5 pts)
  4. Not in an area prone to soil liquefaction (see Taiwan Launches Database on Land Prone to Soil Liquefaction - The News Lens International Edition) (5 pts)
  5. Acceptable air quality (well…)
  6. Close to bike paths (no pts; this is a go/no go)
  7. Central garbage collection (I’m tired of getting yelled at for not following the damned rules) (5 pts)
  8. Not far from Trader Joe’s (still doing my research on this one)

OK, to answer @jdsmith’s question, other than the above, I don’t think it really matters, because as a retiree with a pension you’ll have plenty of time and money to travel all over Taiwan and Asia. That’s my plan, at least.

3 Likes

Is there a Trader Joe’s in Taiwan? News to me. Otherwise the closest one I know of is about 8,000 miles away.

4 Likes

Actually, if I ever lived on the north east coast again, I’d have a wood burner to see me through the wet humid winters. It’d be great from December to March to provide heat and dry the house out. It was hard to cope with peeling paint, not being able to keep books or hang artwork, even getting a stable phone signal was problematic although that might be better these days.

1 Like

I share your concern.

This is why the plan has holes in it. We can make multiple visits around the island and to the islands at different times of year.

17 posts were split to a new topic: OT from retiring

Go check out Pai in northern Thailand.

If you can swing it the perfect lifestyle in Asia is six months in Kuala Lumpur/Malaysia and six in Hokkaido Japan with frequent stopovers in both directions in Taiwan for family and business. Factor in two weeks during winter/holidays in Japan.

I believe that paradise is a state of mind. I live in a not too far away place but few would live here just to retire. Summer time on any part of the lowlands and coastline is hot and shitty.

Your summer weather report will be like this everyday

1 Like

Sort of what I have. 90 mins to Chiayi city but that’s as I am also not in a hurry.
My lovely wife has found a place she can park my sorry arse should I need to be cared for.

1 Like

You had me at Matzu :heart: I’m semi-retired now, fully in 5 years, and Matzu calls to me. However, for convenience and plenty of available services I’m staying on the mainland and keeping Matzu for getaways. I like the Lalashan idea above, or Hualian.

2 Likes

I just doubt I could do the Lalashan thing. If I wanted THAT kind of far far away I’d stay in way upstate NY.

I really enjoyed the rice plateau between Hualien and Taitung. Yes, the one with the famous tree some guy did a commercial next too.

2 Likes

Will definitely have to check it, and Jinshan out. I know it doesn’t always rain in Keelung, just when I’m there, but it’s not a deal breaker when some of the other choices are burn to a crisp.

Also, as some have mentioned, it is a real possibility that I won’t be wherever I am for 100% of the time.

Sanzhi, Ruifang

Same for these ones, @Marco . Do you have any TW real estate links for that area? I ask, knowing you bought your abode in the vicinity.
:cowboy_hat_face:

Not to politicize the discussion, but I think this is pretty cool:

*I am aware that not everyone may share this opinion.

2 Likes

Well, just for your general consideration…

I am about to finish my first 10 years of retirement. I bought land and built a house south of Hualien city. Now I am in process of getting ready to sell and move on. The key point is no decision is forever. If you don’t like a place just move. We always had plan to just stay 10 years and try something else.
Have loved my place. Beautiful view of a mountain behind my house. Nice hiking in the morning. Working the fruit trees and gardens in afternoon. Excellent air quality most of the time which was one of the top attractions about Hualien…I really hate polluted air. Is hot here…but most of Taiwan is too hot during the summer. Cools off nicely here at night. And did I mention good air quality? ha. East coast will always have better air quality than rest of Taiwan.

Bad points are can feel a little isolated out east if you are used to big city. And have to get used to slower pace of service here. Typhoons used to be bad but not lately. Earthquakes happen but in my opinion is just a gamble as to where the big one will happen.

Anyway, good luck with your search.

11 Likes

Yeah, you are ahead of us on that path.

Yeah, that’s the stuff. Thanks.

2 Likes

:rofl:

Guy

1 Like

I’m with @Brianjones (and earlier @Marco ) as I think this corner of Taiwan is closest to ticking off all the boxes. Perhaps the best model to follow is the path blazed in this neck of the woods by the inimitable @MalcolmReynolds .

Guy

2 Likes