Sell Me on Retiring in Taiwan for the Next 10 Years

I don’t disagree. Any other place can be visited and most have hotels and bnbs and whatnot.

1 Like

Of course as you well know the north coast will still be “melty hot” as you put it in your initial post in this thread. But at least it’ll get more of a sea breeze and avoid some of the brutal heat bowl effect those of us in the Taipei City basin endure.

You can also be there on the front lines to help defend us against any incoming Commies. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

1 Like

Oooh that’s a nice part of the island—the Huadong Valley, with a number of communities including Chishang and Yuli among others. Some of the cleanest air and best food in Taiwan is there.

If you figure out a way to swing this, let me know as I’d be delighted to end up there eventually. :heart_eyes:

Guy

2 Likes

You left out some of the most astonishing jackass driving in Taiwan. And that says a lot!

Guy

So I wasn’t terribly serious about the Trader Joe’s thing. We’ll be spending part of each year in the U.S. anyway. In our case our location will be largely dictated by needing to be close to my wife’s family to help them with their long-term health issues. Yeah, I’d love to live between Taitung and Hualien with great ocean access and views, but no can do. But that doesn’t mean that we can’t run down the east coast for a few days every month to bike or whatever. So Taipei/New Taipei City it will be.

1 Like

As always, a lot of this stuff depends on budget. How baller you trying to be in Taiwan?

Money is no object. I think it’s clear what I’m looking for. I don’t need a alpine fortress of solitude or Tony Stark’s beachhouse.

That reminds me of a funny thread - that guy not too long ago that posted a thread asking about places to live, explicitly stating money was no object, but had a budget of like $2k a month? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

edit: $1500 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

edit2: good advice there: :smiley:

1 Like

Another couple of factors - I can’t see myself having to go through the effort, stress and expense of doing another big move again. Up through your mid-fifties it isn’t such a big deal, but after that you need to be more careful with your physical and emotional energy. So - this decision needs to be right for us for the long term. That also means being not far from a good hospital - probably Rongzong or Yangming, not NTU.

3 Likes

Taiwan has some of the lowest taxes in the world for spirits and an excellent selection of Scotch. Great social scene among us senior citizens.

Also, I hear there’s lots of organic food.

2 Likes

I get it–it’s really out there. But I live in West Yorkshire, which is pretty developed. We’ll have a place in the next decade near Bordeaux in a town of about 75,000. What I need is a third place for a month of the year, which I can live on a mountain, write and be a creative disruptor in my retirement. :laughing:

1 Like

Yeah, I like the skip out, surf’s up mentality.

Just a month ? Hardly with the plane ticket

Maybe 1-2 months. Need to be in UK 6 months plus a day. France —would like to be there in the Summer/Fall when it is nice weather (4 to 5 months). Taiwan–1 to 2.

Am flexible on retirement—get 4 public ones at ages ranging from 55 to 67 plus a little bit of family money. But can get reduced at 55 which is my plan as I am in a relatively high salary bracket (by UK standards, not US :laughing:) and pay additional into my public sector one.
What I need in retirement are good friends (lots in UK, Portugal and France) for lively chats, Internet connection, mountains/hinterlands, and good food/drink. Love Lot/Occitanic area in France (family lives in Dordogne). Like the Dales in the UK, and wife would likely enjoy going back to Taiwan for 1-2 months for family.

Elderly parents and stepkids starting professional careers are the only things making me return to Canuckyville. 2 weeks—check. And they can come and visit me overseas. No desire to return really.

Good to see some old Forumosans who left planning to have sorta similar plans. Jealous that they are nearer to the age to make it a reality

3 Likes

Ah yes family , otherwise Europe has places that can mimic anything good Taiwan has plus you can explore North Africa

My coworker is from North Africa she can’t stop talking about it

Forgot to say - outstanding! Glad that you’re in that situation.

2 Likes

Well, we know what we want, what we need, and who we are, so it’s not like we fret about well—anything really.

Swing by Shalu and pick up my old books and Onkyo sound system. I’m sure the ex will be glad to finally get rid of them.

1 Like

Do I need a Geiger counter?

I think the twin smells are the harbour and the hospital.