Selling African Arts&Crafts: Viability in Taiwan?

So, I’m in South Africa now, and I’ve been pondering whether African arts and crafts would be a big seller in Taiwan.

Most of the stuff is absolutely awesome and of great quality, but reasonably priced too - from oil paintings to wooden statues to small knick-knacks made of beads and wire. Have you ever seen the 10 foot giraffes?

What do you think the viability of such an operation would be? And the best way to start out - stall/small shop/small gallery?

Your input and advice please…

Cheers!

It could work, but the pricing and your location might be a bit tricky.

Have you been to a night market in Taiwan? I believe that’s the best place to start out. First, night markets are always busy. Second, you can stay open until 2 or 3 in the morning, long business hours is always a good thing. Most Taiwanese people prefer casual shopping. So don’t make your shop too upmarket, unless your shop is in a fancy department store.

Arts and Crafts in South Africa aren’t really that cheap (I assume you would get your stock at a flea market). I remember a mask or a sculpture is usally priced at R300 or sometimes more (about 1500NT according to the recent exchange rate. And you have to add shipping cost on top of that as well. A meal in Taiwan seldom costs more than 100NT.). Plus most Taiwanese people do not own properties. When it comes to home decoration…it’s very basic and carelessly done. But the good news is Taiwanese people love fashion. So I suggest you test the water with fewer arts and crafts and focus more on the African-style fashion accessories (targeting girls age between 15 to 35).

Hope that helped.

I don’t know if it’s still there, but I used to work near a store selling African art and crafts near Ren Ai and Kwang Fu S. Road. Rents in that area should be quite high, so obviously the store was doing fine.

But to start out, I agree with Flea: night market or even just along a busy sidewalk in the evening. I’ve got a large rug that one of my African friends brought me from Ghana and I love it. I think there’s a market for African arts and crafts.

I think it’s a superb idea, and if you believe in it and are willing to invest the time and energy into figuring out how to do it right, I’m sure you can succeed. Price the items reasonably and you’ll probably find my friends and me among your customers. :slight_smile:

DB wrote: [quote]I think it’s a superb idea, and if you believe in it and are willing to invest the time and energy into figuring out how to do it right, I’m sure you can succeed.[/quote]

Willing to put your money where your mouth is? :slight_smile: A good idea and hard work are not enough to ensure success.

I also think it’s a cool idea.

I thought I would mention one place that I have seen African beads and jewelry - diagonally opposite the computer market on Xin Sheng (just before you get to Civic Blvd) I have seen a couple of sidewalk stalls there selling it.

My opinion. Don’t do it this year. Save your money and a big headache.

I think it’s worth trying. I am Taiwanese and I like these kind of stuff, the only reason that I don’t have any is because the stores here which carry them usually want to get more money from me, A LOT MORE! (Well, they are usually not that practical, either…)

If you want to start this here, I think the best way to do it is to sell them with a reasonable price and maintain the quality of the things you sell and your service. This way you get all the customers, and not just a certain group of people! :rainbow:

I saw a place in Danshui about 2 years ago that did that. But sambos and the like seemed to be more popular. Or I saw more of that for sale. My guess would be that you would be a better having a online side business in case it didn’t work in taiwan.

Best of luck.

I guess the best idea would be to organise someone to supply you with whatever you need, experiment to see what sells, and then import more. Maybe take samples around a few likely outlets and offer to supply them instead of trying to do everything yourself.

Or go online.

Airfreight’s expensive, shipping takes a long time.

And don’t get yourself arrested!

[quote=“Dragonbabe”]I think it’s worth trying. I am Taiwanese and I like these kind of stuff, the only reason that I don’t have any is because the stores here which carry them usually want to get more money from me, A LOT MORE! (Well, they are usually not that practical, either…)

If you want to start this here, I think the best way to do it is to sell them with a reasonable price and maintain the quality of the things you sell and your service. This way you get all the customers, and not just a certain group of people! :rainbow:[/quote]

The quote above is exactly why you should not do it.
People think that you get everything for cheap like China and want to pay very small prices for good quality products. African products have been all the rage here before then the bottom dropped out. Only if you can get these products very cheaply including shipping. If you can then may be.

let me advize you one more time

“Don’t import now, I really want to save you time and money, I also have experience in this business, that most of the other people commenting do not”

However if you do bring products here and you can’t shift them, then let me know I maybe able to get you an outlet for free. :slight_smile:

This is (a great idea, but) illegal and can get you deported pronto. Even with a Taiwanese spouse, you still run the chance of being fined…it really depends on the mood of the cops you encounter…and whether they view you as an artist selling his/her art or a street vendor trying to make some $.

On the upside, I do think African arts and crafts are in demand, (and if you do give it a try, I’d like to check out your rugs). However, the selling of oil paintings has been done to death here in Taiwan (and everywhere else…remember “Starving Artists Sale”?)…I did it for a while here in Taipei, years ago, but didn’t make any money worth talking about.

Just to add another point of view: I hate arts and crafts. Beads. No.

That’s just my view, though.

[quote=“Buttercup”]Just to add another point of view: I hate arts and crafts. Beads. No.
That’s just my view, though.[/quote]

Out on a limb here, but I think the OP was looking for points of view on whether or not African arts and crafts would be a big seller in Taiwan…i.e. and not whether or not African arts and crafts would be a big seller to you.

Waaay out, but I’ll forgive you. I buy stuff and I am in Taiwan. I’m a potential customer. Except I’m not, y’see? I can’t think of many of my friends, Taiwanese or furriner, who would be interested, either. Other posters said they would buy this stuff. I’m countering to say that I wouldn’t. Trying to help because it occurred to me that only people who were interested in this stuff would read the thread and/or bother to post, thus giving the OP a false positive.

Not discouraging the guy; if he thinks it’s a goer, then good luck to him.

He could try asking on Taiwanese forums, rather than this expat site. He’ll get mostly expat viewpoints, here. Only Dragonbabe’s Taiwanese on this thread, no?

I’ve bought stuff like this before. Musical instruments and suchlike. But I bought them off the people who made them – or at least, I was given a convincing guarantee that ALL the profit went to the people who made them. I’d NEVER buy from a middleman.

[quote=“Buttercup”]Other posters said they would buy this stuff. I’m countering to say that I wouldn’t. Trying to help because it occurred to me that only people who were interested in this stuff would read the thread and/or bother to post, thus giving the OP a false positive.

He could try asking on Taiwanese forums, rather than this expat site. He’ll get mostly expat viewpoints, here. Only Dragonbabe’s Taiwanese on this thread, no?[/quote]

Actually I’m also Taiwanese, and have been working in South Africa for over three years. I happen to think this is quite an exciting topic as I do see the market out there. Last time I announced that I was going home, I couldn’t believe the length of the shopping list from my friends (mostly Taiwanese). Plus my office is right above a souvenir store in Johannesburg. Every week I see several bus loads of Taiwanese and Mainland Chinese tourists gather there for some crazy shopping. I realize there is a risk in starting any business. That’s why at the beginning you need to play safe, keep the scale small, and consider the possibility of “what if”.

Another poster mentioned that having a business in the night market is illegal. Not necessarily if you are registered to the city council. Those venders who play hide-and-seek with the cops are obviously the unlicensed ones. Maybe they’re not willing to pay the license fee and tax, or they’re simply too lazy to fill up a form and stand in a queue.

Well, I’ll definitely play it safe in the beginning - I’ll build up a photo catalogue for potential buyers to peruse (I’m going to spend a few months travelling SA meeting the artists and craftsmen, taking the pics and getting their details)

I’ll probably also buy a few samples of the smaller stuff, cuz I aint lugging 50kg rugs back to Asia.

I’ll also be meeting with somebody who’s in the game already - exporting to Asia, and importing from Asia - discuss with them face-to-face the viability/potential.

A website is a good idea - I can work on an order to order basis. Problem is I know bollocks about importing and exporting. Guess I can learn on my feet and supplement my income by teaching/editing etc.

At some stage in your life you have to take a risk, and with 30 looming I’m ready for some wholesale (no pun intended) changes. Teaching is all good and well, but I don’t see myself doing it for much longer.

Who knows, in the future I may be exporting container loads of

As an aside, are there places in Taiwan similar to Chatuchak market in Bangkok, where one can buy Asian arts/crafts/artefacts? Just before I left Taiwan my student gave me a beautiful set of Chinese hand puppets, and I’m sure there’s a market for all things Asian and exotic in my land (including Thai go-go girls, but that’s a whole different ball game :sunglasses: )