Selling sick & diseased pigs

News has been full of story about butchering plant making quite a hefty bundle off of selling sick and diseased pork thru several willing suppliers.
Has anyone here been affected by this?
Were the payoffs to the locals insufficient to keep it going thru the holidays?

New story is the local inspectors were threatened when they 1st attempted to do their job. But this seems to have been going on for quite some time.

Will it resume once the initial news stories die down?

As Emeril says…Pig Fat is Where its AT!

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]News has been full of story about butchering plant making quite a hefty bundle off of selling sick and diseased pork through several willing suppliers.
Has anyone here been affected by this?
Were the payoffs to the locals insufficient to keep it going through the holidays?

New story is the local inspectors were threatened when they 1st attempted to do their job. But this seems to have been going on for quite some time.

Will it resume once the initial news stories die down?[/quote]
I remember there were periodic reports of the same thing going on here in Taiwan in the first half of the 1990s.

I remember that too Chris. They called it the, “The Dead Pork Scare.” I always wondered what “The Live Pork Scare” would have been like.

The thing is, if you eat pork here there’s a fair to middling chance that you’ve eaten pork from a sick pig or a pig that was dead before it reached the slaughterhouse. What? You think the exposed cases are the only ones that occur? Oh, please! The reason they do it is because they know what little risk they run of getting caught.
Just cook your meat carefully and you’ll be fine.

Does the size and publicity of the “Dead Pig Meat Scandal” this CNY season lead anyone here to think the food safety laws will be more stringently applied?

I would like to believe this will be the result; but I have my personal doubts.