Sen Rubio: China changed capitalism

Transcript:

Some interesting points raised here. Still light on specifics

This is about a lot more than just banning this and stopping that. It is about a coherent approach to a difficult and historic challenge. And look, it’s a complicated one, and complicated problems rarely have ever have simple solutions.

But the simplest way I can describe how I think we should move forward is we need to fundamentally realign the assumptions and the ideas behind our economic and foreign policies. We need a new system of global economics where we enter into global trade agreements, not with the goal of doing what’s good for the global economy, but with the goal of doing what’s good for us.

If a trade deal creates American jobs or strengthens a key American industry, we do that deal. If it undermines us, we don’t do the deal just because it would be good for the global economy or because in the free market lab experiment, it’s the right thing to do.

What are some trade deals now considered bad for America in retrospect? NAFTA? The Trans Pacific Partnership that Trump scuttled when he came into office? My impression the US (MNCs) still dominated those

See Criticism section of the TPP Wikipedia page

2 Likes

I was posting about the tiktok CEO’s committee hearing in the cspan thread. The focus seemed to be just this: China is different, how different and who is really in charge?