Sending a Comuter Home

I am looking to purchase a computer this weekend and how much money I spend depends on the cost of shipping home or if I can carry in my luggage. When I leave I will have an extra suit case will I be able to package a tower in there and send it home or will shipping be the better option and will i have to pay an extra money taking it back to Canada.

Thanks,
Argon

As Bob Honest is utterly insane, he onced shipped an old computer from Germany to Taiwan and it went up in flames when it was here. Could be saved partially. Cable breaking, short circuit.

Send commuters home the same way they went to work. Ha ha ha bonk

I would say it’s not worth it, the case and power supply are very heavy, and it would probably cost the same in Canada to buy a new one if you’re moving back soon. Whenever I’ve transported a computer, I took the insides out and left the heavy stuff behind.

You might be subjected to import tax/duty when importing stuff to Canada. Better check with customs there how much and see if it’s still worth the effort.

Strip the components and leave the tower behind. Towers are cheap. Components cost.

I would take the whole thing if you got room in a suit case. There should be no tax if it is used (or new I think) to bring it into Canada.

What to buy here: Memory, HardDrive, CD/DVD burners, Vidio card, Keybaord, MoBo (MSI, GigaByte, or Asus), and more memory.

In Canada: CPU ( specialy if you want AMD, and you do!) and the rest to save shipping.

As to price, you will save about 14%. Yup. The tax. Prices are very similar for everything elce.

Thanks for the reply guys. I think since I will have an extra suitcase I will just put it into that and then see how it goes. I will keep my reciept and hopefully everything will go fine and I won’t have to pay to much. I will take the chance that it might break. But I will wrap it tight and hope for the best.
Also I noticed computers are cheaper here then back in Canada. I will definatley try for AMD or pentium but I will see what I can get for about 20,000 at NOVA this weekend. Also I noticed CRTs are about 4000 here where I live. Will NOVA have cheaper CRTs or are LCDs much more.

I can buy all the parts at least as cheap in Australia when compared to Taiwan. Labour is cheap here (500 NT assembly!!)

But I can get 400 gig Taiwanese Harddrives back home that I can’t get here!

Not sure about monitor prices, but I’d keep the HDD, RAM, CPU, MBD, DVD Writer.

Buy it at home and get it cheaper.

[quote=“argonfly sometime in December, 2005”]I am looking to purchase a computer this weekend and how much money I spend depends on the cost of shipping home or if I can carry in my luggage. When I leave I will have an extra suit case will I be able to package a tower in there and send it home or will shipping be the better option and will I have to pay an extra money taking it back to Canada.

Thanks,
Argon[/quote]

[quote=“argonfly sometime in November, 2005”]Hello,

I have recently moved here from Canada and am looking for some Warcraft III action in an internet cafe. I am moving to Feng Yuan soon and was wondering if anyone knew any good places for gaming.

Thanks,
Argonfly[/quote]

That was quick :wink: