Sending a package to Taiwan - specific Customs question

I want to send a gift package from Germany to Taiwan. Since it is a gift it can have a max total value of 45€ combined.

I also want to include a small printed photo book with some private photos, which costs around 15-20€. Do I have to include this value in the total value, since it is a private photo book which has no value to someone else?

Any problems if I write “private photo book - 0€” on the custom papers? Does any one have experience with this kind of stuff?

In answer, Taiwan customs doesn’t care what the value is as it is outgoing.

Germany’s customs does but items that are gifts that have no real monetary value can be written down as you see fit. Only issue is that if it goes missing there is no insurance or recourse as the value shows 0

Yes , you could have problems , is better to write a value since these products are not spares/replacements that could have 0 value

My suggestion is to write the value of the Gift and the Photo book which in total should be 45€ combined , for example Gift 35€ , Album 10€

Also keep in mind that you have to provide more information about what kind of “gift” you want to Import to Taiwan , because some products could have import tax or not be allowed to enter the country

For example in the case of the photo book (相片簿) , tariff No.48205010 , the import tax is 0%

You can search for the tariff No. for your gift in the following links

references:

https://portal.sw.nat.gov.tw/APGQO/GC411

1 Like

Will they open the package anyway to check the contents or only if they have a suspicion?

Hi, here’s an example of how we declare our goods:

They will open packages if they have a suspicion.

From 6 packages sent this year, one got opened. The one shown above went through without it being opened.

1 Like

But this one exceeds the max gift value of 45 € so you had to pay taxes anyway, right? Because I wanna stay below 45 € to not pay any taxes, that’s why I’m asking If I can declare the photo book as 0 € value.

Sure you can. I didn’t pay any taxes btw.

Ok, I misread the tax thing. Sending a package to taiwan is not really a problem, but sending a package from taiwan to the EU/Germany has a threshold of 45 €. All good then, thank you!

1 Like

My package left germany on the 12nd of November and has not arrived in Taipei yet :frowning: I cannot track it, since it’s a “small package” without a tracking number. Is there any quarantin for packages arriving in taiwan right now or is the chance high, that the package is lost?

I think you just need to wait and see/hope. I had to wait 2-3 months for some stuff to arrive from Sweden earlier in the year, but it showed up eventually - that’s what happens when you don’t have a tracking number.

Wie komisch. I came here to look for an answer to a similar question and it was interesting to run into this one. I have exactly the opposite situation and the same question. I sent a package from Taiwan to Germany end of November and according to the tracking data it got there on December 4th. I’m surprised it was really fast, I’m assuming it was taken on the CI61 flight from Taipei to Frankfurt on Dec. 3rd. It shows it already is in Frankfurt. How long would it take then to clear customs in Frankfurt? And how much is it if it goes over this 45EUR threshold? I labeled the package as a gift but also declared the amount of the contents which was 190 EUR. Anybody have any idea from personal experiences?

Thank you in advance.

Both packages arrived :slight_smile:
From German to Taiwan and the other way. But packages from Germany to Taiwan took 2.5months - the other way around only a few weeks up to one month, dont ask me why.