Sending money

So, I heard that if you send money (esp USD) out of US, you need to report this if it’s over $10k… is that true? I need to send my fiancee some money for our wedding since I can’t let her pay for everything (she’s arranging every single detail while consulting with me long distance <I’m in the States>), but I hate red tape… trying to make sure everything goes smooth as silk…

Anyone with first hand experience know if that’s true or not?

Thanks,

The purpose has to be declared, and the amount will be reported to the government, yes, and the same is true here in Taiwan, if over a certain limit. But you really needn’t worry if it’s an occasional remittance and the amount is not astronomical. They’re just looking for patterns of money laundering, and with your relatively small amount and valid purpose, you won’t even appear on their radar, IMO. And it’s not a lot of red tape, just one piece of paper, very quick to fill out.

So… what if I wrote a personal check? How would I go about declaring it? When my fiancee deposits the check? It’s kinda silly that I have to declare this… I can understand if I’m moving >50k or so…