Sentence for drunk driving (fine in lieu of imprisonment)

I’m a currently student in Taiwan and I got caught drunk and drive on the new year the alcohol in my blood was 0.48mg I went to the court and they first send me a fine to pay 45,000 but after that they said I don’t have to pay this one and send me this other letter saying that.

Would I be deported because of it ?
There’s anyone to solve it and stay in Taiwan ?

The legalese is a bit difficult for me to read, it seems to be saying you need to bring 122,000 ntd to court, to pay in lieu of doing 4 months jailtime (it’s common to pay 1000 NTD/day instead of doing jail time)
But I could be wrong.
As for deportation, I didn’t see that mentioned.

Let me guess, the police told you something and sign something without explaining.

7 Likes

iirc, your ARC would be revoked with a year or longer jail sentence.
Besides, if you lose your student status, you’d also lose your ARC.

Exactly.

Summary of notes at the bottom:

1. Bring your ID (it says “national ID card”), health insurance card, and the notice itself, and don’t be late.

2. If you submit any kind of request relating to this case, you must include the case number and 股別 (from the top part of the notice).

3. If you fail to appear and don’t have a valid reason, you will be in even more trouble.

4. If you are 5 months pregnant or have given birth in the last 2 months, bring documentation.

5. You can appoint someone else to pay the fine on your behalf. If you pay by postal order it should be made out to the Taichung District Prosecutor’s Office (臺灣臺中地方檢察署), something about a (your?) name (the text is cut off), and on the envelope you should write the case number etc. (from the top part of the notice).

6. More information about paying the fine is on the back of the page.

7. If you have questions, call the number.

2 Likes

That’s a lot of coin.

There’s something really unfair about this conversion system—it looks brutal for working people, but it’s pocket change for the rich.

Guy

6 Likes

Thats true. It should be based on income levels like some other countries do it.
It could ruin one person but be nothing but a slight annoyance to another; annoyance that they have to take some effort to prepare the check.

4 Likes

Taiwan is still quite an unfair society, this is a good example of it.

3 Likes

They didn’t mention any Bibb about deportation I’m just afraid about it like after I pay they say I have to leave the country

I guess if you don’t pay you won’t leave the country at all.

1 Like

I mean if I pay I still can be deported or I’m cool to stay ?

Maybe you could be deployed. Or let stay. Going on previous cases it depends on the judge. Do you need to Renew your visa regularly ?How long do you plan to stay ?

I want to live here I’m student and I will graduate this semester but After that I want to live in Taiwan and stay here

Being poor is a state of mind.

And no money in the pocket!

1 Like