Seriously what Taiwanese products or brands are known to the average country bumpkin

@Marco, @OrangeOrganics
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/country_bumpkin

I’m aware of what they are, but even ‘country bumpkins’ often have computers nowadays. Usually bought from Best Buy as they’re ubiquitous. So at this point, I think Acer and ASUS are easily household names in the US and Canada.

And even moreso with regular joes.

If they don’t even know ‘Acer’, then they probably don’t even know what a computer is.

Maybe

Why Peloton? That’s a US company.

In my experience with non tech-savvy country bumpkins, most only know Dell and HP because those are the most popular computers sold at BestBuy. Acer and Asus are the least popular.

This might be explained by the fact that country bumpkins in the US are generally advertised American brands over foreign ones.

1 Like

Oh, my bad

Acer and Asus main target in the U.S. is the under 500 usd section of Best Buy. Which is usually school or university students

Or used to be. Haven’t followed for a while

Household products, yes, but I’m not so sure about household names. I’m not confident I know the brands of my air conditioners or microwave or wifi base station, even though I walk by them every day, and years ago spent a fair bit of time researching which ones I wanted. I suspect plenty of people with whatever-laptop-they-bought-at-Best-Buy don’t actually know the brand. Precisely because computers are more of a commodity these days, I suspect people are less likely to be aware of the brands.

But the original question is a little odd anyway. “What’s a slightly specific piece of knowledge that people with no specific knowledge about anything would know?” pretty much answers itself.

4 Likes

I think the Taiwanese pc brands are big with gamers. Which is a multi bazillion dollar industry that we are all too old to understand

Taiwanese barely know that many Taiwanese brands. That’s not what taiwan does

Taiwan economy relies on an ecosystem of very specified SME that usually do one focused thing lower down the supply chain.
Precision screws or adhesives for microchips and things like that.

Speak for yourself :grin:

1 Like

You’re right. Or Chromebooks.

Also this scene from Armageddon lol.

Is this more an insult on Arkinsas folks intelligence rather than Taiwans products? Taiwan has a lot! Taiwan has really a lot of support for foreign brands as well. such as apple, Nike and so on. Even my grandparents were familiar with made in Taiwan, though in those days it was more plastic shit. now there is a good variety :slight_smile:

Disagree. Normally people know what brand of microwave, tv etc they are buying. If only to do with model dates and prices, sometimes basic specs (KG, GB, voltage etc)

But. Agree :joy:

They’d be too busy arguing between Ford and Chevy to consider any “import” stuff, ownership thereof would imply that they are not a true American, surely? :cactus:

I don’t question that. Just based on my experience in rural America, people don’t tend to know these brands or the supply chain of Western brands. You’ll be lucky if they’ll confuse Taiwan with Thailand.

1 Like

Even though most motor vehicle parts in Chevy and Ford are manufactured outside of the US.

All day long.