Severe Case of Lethonomia

Do you suffer from lethonomia?

• Yes, I admit it have a lethonomia problem.
  • No, I don’t.

0 voters

I have had a serious problem with lethonomia since I’ve known myself. Are there any other people with the same problem and how have they managed it?

When I get a new colleague at work I have to write their name down on a blank business card and put it in my pocket; then every time I see them I have to pull it out to refresh myself on their name. It takes me about a week to get it to stick.

If I run into someone I haven’t seen in a few years, there’s a pretty good chance their name won’t come to mind, even if they were my roommate for a couple years! It’s just buried under too many Chinese characters or something. It takes about 10 min. to dredge the name up. It’s awful! :help:

It happens with faces, too. I hope Forumosans I’ve met once at a happy hour or camping or hiking will forgive me if I walk up and introduce myself again as if we’ve never met… :blush:

Yes, it happens to me all the time. Especially with Chinese names. :slight_smile:

I blame it on my mom. She used to get me confused with my brother.

You are not alone! My father use to scream the names of my two brothers, and sometimes one of my two sisters names till he got mine, or he would point and say ‘you dammit’ when the mixing up of his own children frustrated him enough.

Happens to me often when I meet someone for the first time. But after the second time I meet the person, and am reminded of his/her name, then I don’t forget.

I remember most people’s names no problem but for some reason there are some people whose names I ALWAYS forget.
I’ve read that this means subconsciously I don’t like them !

I once forgot a girlfriend’s name after we’d been dating for a couple of weeks. Took a few days of “Honey,” and “Sweetie” for it to come back to me. Anyone else date “Mulva”?

I have also committed the ultimate faux pas…during intimate moments I’ve said the wrong name, but not because I forgot (how can people forget their date’s names?!). Not pretty :s.

So guys and gals, use “babe” whenever possible.

[quote=“914”]I have also committed the ultimate faux pas…during intimate moments I’ve said the wrong name, but not because I forgot (how can people forget their date’s names?!). Not pretty :s.

So guys and gals, use “babe” whenever possible.[/quote]

I have very cleverly come up with a useful solution to this problem and the great thing is, is that it can also be used with a human partner; I just write Geraldine’s name across her breasts and her back with a marker pen so that whenever I want to prefix dirty talk or words of affection (What’s the difference?) with her name, all I need do is open my eyes and look down. It has never failed me. Just double check on the name and the spelling before you begin to write.

BroonAnoints

[quote=“Dragonbones”]
It happens with faces, too. I hope Forumosans I’ve met once at a happy hour or camping or hiking will forgive me if I walk up and introduce myself again as if we’ve never met… :blush:[/quote]
Yes, you’re the worst case I’ve ever come across! We were sitting at a table at happy hour inside, met for the first time, went through the whole introduction/where are you from, etc. thing, but also spent a considerable time looking at pics in your dragonbones ( :wink: ) book, discussing some of the different symbols, etc.
(this after I found the book on the floor and figured out that it must be yours based on your name and avatar)
Later on I left but got stuck outside chatting. You came out and started the whole process again…where are you from, etc. When I told you that we had just met inside about 2 hours ago you still had no real recollection, but apologized and said that this often happened to you.

However, you still have one up on me…I can’t remember Chinese characters if my life depended on it, and I do have one of those unforgettable, really common names and faces. :slight_smile:

When I introduced my future wife (and then girl-friend of already quite a few years) to my granny I said: “I want you to meet Sandra!” - which of course is not her name! I have no idea where this came from, as I don’t even know a Sandra, at least none that I can recall! :blush:

:blush: Just flash me the double navel next time and I’ll remember you :smiley:

It’s true, it happens to me all the time. Just last night I introduced myself to sb, and she said “We’ve met; I was your student at the ceramics gallery of the Gugong” and I was embarrassed, as usual. But then, she did look familiar…

My maternal grandma and my dad both called me my brother’s name quite often, and my dad once called me my sister’s name, so I’m wondering if it might not be genetic.

I guarantee you I’ll do it again at HH – I’ve met Durin’s Bane and Yellow Cartman I’m sure, but can’t recall their faces, so I’m all set for another screwup :help:

My father used to rattle of a couple of names or just concoct a ridiculous names before he got to the right one when he called us.

[color=olive]
“Remember that a person’s name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound in any language”.
[/color]

Dale Carnegie

[quote=“Rinkals”]“Remember that a person’s name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound in any language”.[/size][/color]
Dale Carnegie[/quote]

No way. The sweetest and most important sound will always be the voice of my loved one, and someday of our children too. Carnegie grossly overemphasized egotism, but what do you expect from someone like him? :loco:

Dragonbones wrote:

But you could easily reply:

google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& … +not+us%22