Sexism and other isms

[quote=“farmingmountains”]Haters gonna hate. I feel sorry for your empty life.

Like that sick one:
[/quote]

Oh, by the way, The World’s Biggest Asshole called.
He concedes.

Congrats.

Sorry, coming to this thread rather late, but i am afraind you missed the target by miles:
The biggest threat to women’s equality in this thread? sorrym that doesn’t make sense. The issue is the biggest threat to women’s equality in the world. And that is, statistically speaking, (still) men’s attitudes and actions - demonstrably, provably so…

Even if a woman were to state that in an aggressive, angry, or rude manner it would not make it any less true.

And even if a woman were to point that out in the politest way possible, “you guys” (i mean those to whom it applies) would go through automatic defense motions, regardless. That, too, doesn’t make it less true, although the reaction is understandable.

I give more weight to the views of people (regardless of what sex or gender) who have an understanding of the facts.

:bow:

1 Like

Sorry, coming to this thread rather late, but I am afraind you missed the target by miles:
The biggest threat to women’s equality in this thread? sorrym that doesn’t make sense. The issue is the biggest threat to women’s equality in the world. And that is, statistically speaking, (still) men’s attitudes and actions - demonstrably, provably so…

Even if a woman were to state that in an aggressive, angry, or rude manner it would not make it any less true.

And even if a woman were to point that out in the politest way possible, “you guys” (I mean those to whom it applies) would go through automatic defense motions, regardless. That, too, doesn’t make it less true, although the reaction is understandable.

I give more weight to the views of people (regardless of what sex or gender) who have an understanding of the facts.

:bow:[/quote]

What is most interesting in this thread is most confess to be against sexism yet continue to use sexist remarks. When ever there are comments of men versus women put in broad general terms (with no specifics) and with negative connotations (to either gender) it becomes a sexist remark.

Questions:

What specific cases are being referenced here where women are being oppressed by men?

In what areas do you believe there are gender inequalities that need to be corrected?

[quote=“Micahel”]

In what areas do you believe there are gender inequalities that need to be correct?[/quote]

The ones where people are murdered, raped, attacked, denied medical care, education, and the chance to earn a living by men. The others are stonewallling by the dominant group because they are unwilling to take responsibility for ending misogyny, whether or not they take part in it themselves or not.

An analogy because flobbers seem to enjoy them. Shark-finning. Who is responsible for ending this practice? Should people who don’t eat shark-fin get involved? Should people who live in a society that benefits economically from shark-finning work to end shark-finning or is it simply enough to not eat shark-fin? Should we just say ‘sharks are the problem’ because some sharks occasionally bite people in half? Should sharks organise and march on the presidential palace to demand Taiwanese people stop that retrograde shit? :cactus:

I get get it. I can’t be arsed fighting for sharks either. And I might even get squealy and ‘not all humans’ if someone accused me of being part of the shark-finning problem. But that’s an emotional response, not an intellectual one. Angrily telling sharks to not chow down on South Effricans is not the solution to shark-finning.

[quote=“Ermintrude”][quote=“Micahel”]

In what areas do you believe there are gender inequalities that need to be correct?[/quote]

The ones where people are murdered, raped, attacked, denied medical care, education, and the chance to earn a living by men. The others are stonewallling by the dominant group because they are unwilling to take responsibility for ending misogyny, whether or not they take part in it themselves or not.
[/quote]

Any specifics on these cases? Do you believe the male users on this forum have committed any of these crimes? In your direct life, have you witnessed any of these crimes?

Any specifics on these cases?
Open the BBC website, or any news site. Plenty to be found every day.

Do you believe the male users on this forum have committed any of these crimes?
Not all of these misogynistic activities are criminal. But regarding the crimes, yes. Do you really believe that no-one here has ever raped or assaulted a woman? Given how many users there are, how likely is that, in terms of probability? Murder is far rarer. It’s probable that no-one here has murdered anyone.

In your direct life, have you witnessed any of these crimes?

[b]Crimes by male forumosa users? Are you actually asking if I’ve seen people here rape or murder anyone? Or been attacked myself? I’d report it to the police, if I saw anyone committing violent crimes. :laughing:

Are you asking if I’ve seen crime against women outside of forumosa? Of course I have: one in three female children are sexually assaulted or raped (the figure is one in seven for male children which is also unacceptable) and women are paid 7% less than men, in the UK, my country. Are you asking if I’ve directly experienced it? Of course I have.

You’re asking me to personalise it and say whether the men I know are violent criminals or simply take part in everyday domestic violence. Do you think it has a significant impact on victims of violent crime or to women that are scared of random sexual violence that not all men are violent criminals? I get that you aren’t a rapist but do you think this diminishes women’s fear of being raped either by a family member, partner or a stranger? Not all men are violent, but most women are at risk of it and fear it. Saying ‘we aren’t all bad’ is simply irrelevant, kind of like as I wrote above, saying ‘But I don’t eat shark-fin and neither does anyone I know’ doesn’t stop shark-finning. What do you think?[/b]

[quote=“Ermintrude”]
I get that you aren’t a rapist…[/quote]

See, there you go again, making assumptions without checking your facts first. :no-no:

ted.com/talks/sunitha_krishnan_tedindia

[quote=“Ermintrude”]Any specifics on these cases?

Not all of these misogynistic activities are criminal. But regarding the crimes, yes. Do you really believe that no-one here has ever raped or assaulted a woman? Given how many users there are, how likely is that, in terms of probability? Murder is far rarer. It’s probable that no-one here has murdered anyone.

[b]Crimes by male forumosa users? Are you actually asking if I’ve seen people here rape or murder anyone? Or been attacked myself? I’d report it to the police, if I saw anyone committing violent crimes. :laughing:

Are you asking if I’ve seen crime against women outside of forumosa? Of course I have: one in three female children are sexually assaulted or raped (the figure is one in seven for male children which is also unacceptable) and women are paid 7% less than men, in the UK, my country. Are you asking if I’ve directly experienced it? Of course I have.

You’re asking me to personalise it and say whether the men I know are violent criminals or simply take part in everyday domestic violence. Do you think it has a significant impact on victims of violent crime or to women that are scared of random sexual violence that not all men are violent criminals? I get that you aren’t a rapist but do you think this diminishes women’s fear of being raped either by a family member, partner or a stranger? Not all men are violent, but most women are at risk of it and fear it. Saying ‘we aren’t all bad’ is simply irrelevant, kind of like as I wrote above, saying ‘But I don’t eat shark-fin and neither does anyone I know’ doesn’t stop shark-finning. What do you think?[/b][/quote]

(Sorry accidentally posted with no response, see next page)

[quote=“Micahel”][quote=“Ermintrude”]Any specifics on these cases?

You’re asking me to personalise it and say whether the men I know are violent criminals or simply take part in everyday domestic violence. Do you think it has a significant impact on victims of violent crime or to women that are scared of random sexual violence that not all men are violent criminals? I get that you aren’t a rapist but do you think this diminishes women’s fear of being raped either by a family member, partner or a stranger? Not all men are violent, but most women are at risk of it and fear it. Saying ‘we aren’t all bad’ is simply irrelevant, kind of like as I wrote above, saying ‘But I don’t eat shark-fin and neither does anyone I know’ doesn’t stop shark-finning. What do you think?[/b][/quote][/quote]
I guess this means that Micahel agrees with you?

Sorry accidentally posted previously.

Acknowledge there are crimes against women everyday, also crimes against men being committed everyday. To equate those who make sexist remarks on this forum to those committing violent crimes seems like a long stretch but there seems to be some attempt to do so. Believe there are multiple topics getting convoluted. Crimes against women is one and gender equality is another. My points are really regarding gender equality and cases where they they may or may not occur, in some cases they provide benefits but I see no efforts to discuss or change those. Most people all agree in principle but will not practice those principles (will pick and choose).

Do not want you to get personal, what I am looking for is some description of the mass oppression (at our everyday level, yours and mine). In my daily world I do not see it, nor have I ever practiced it, and I doubt if most of the users here do either.

I really believe they are on the same continuum. A violent act starts with the attitude that a person is somehow ‘other’ and less important than the perpetrator. These things are not far apart, if you start to consider how things like race and class differences can quickly spiral into genocide.

Most of the users here are male. Your narrative is valid. But so are womens’ and just because you don’t see something, that doesn’t mean it either does not exist or is not a fear.

Analogies again: I have never witnessed a racism in my country, beyond my Uncle Jim giving it large when he’s on the brew about Romanian losers on benefits and Muslims but it would be wrong of me, as an ethnic Briton to deny that racism exists or that non-ethnic Britons should not fear or fight against racism from the ethnic majority, from the micro-aggression level, to being executed in the street. I also believe that it’s my duty to say to Uncle Jim, ‘Yes, most Romanian immigrants are here legally and make an excellent contribution to Britain. Muslims? Just STFU, that’s moronic.’

I really believe they are on the same continuum. A violent act starts with the attitude that a person is somehow ‘other’ and less important than the perpetrator. These things are not far apart, if you start to consider how things like race and class differences can quickly spiral into genocide.

Most of the users here are male. Your narrative is valid. But so are womens’ and just because you don’t see something, that doesn’t mean it either does not exist or is not a fear.

Analogies again: I have never witnessed a racism in my country, beyond my Uncle Jim giving it large when he’s on the brew about Romanian losers on benefits and Muslims but it would be wrong of me, as an ethnic Briton to deny that racism exists or that non-ethnic Britons should not fear or fight against racism from the ethnic majority, from the micro-aggression level, to being executed in the street. I also believe that it’s my duty to say to Uncle Jim, ‘Yes, most Romanian immigrants are here legally and make an excellent contribution to Britain. Muslims? Just STFU, that’s moronic.’[/quote]

Not to mention the fact that yer Uncle Jim there owes me 7 quid since two years ago. :fume:

Shut it, you racoons are all the same.

Well then, just bring up 15% more women to be weak, selfish, intellectual and emotional children.

Well then, just bring up 15% more women to be weak, selfish, intellectual and emotional children.[/quote]

:laughing:

`Good point!

It doesn’t matter which group faces “more” discrimination. Discrimination is wrong in all cases. More to the point, hateful, intolerant statements are never welcome, regardless of the circumstances.

I am tired of the sexism tirade too. Sexism needs to be stood up against and not tolerated at ALL, and yet making derogatory statements about one or the other gender is ugggghh. Calling men stupid and expecting to be respected at the same time is :thumbsdown: . Secondly you always see what you are, men who think they are weak and not good enough see other men and women in the same light.

If you’re a good person, you will see goodness in others and that ends a lot of isms. Ranting doesn’t.

[quote=“Ermintrude”][quote=“Micahel”]

An analogy because flobbers seem to enjoy them. Shark-finning. Who is responsible for ending this practice? Should people who don’t eat shark-fin get involved? Should people who live in a society that benefits economically from shark-finning work to end shark-finning or is it simply enough to not eat shark-fin? Should we just say ‘sharks are the problem’ because some sharks occasionally bite people in half? Should sharks organise and march on the presidential palace to demand Taiwanese people stop that retrograde shit? :cactus:

I get get it. I can’t be arsed fighting for sharks either. And I might even get squealy and ‘not all humans’ if someone accused me of being part of the shark-finning problem. But that’s an emotional response, not an intellectual one. Angrily telling sharks to not chow down on South Effricans is not the solution to shark-finning.[/quote]
Wait. Did you just compare discriminated women to non-sapient marine predators with tiny brains?? O_o