Shackled Taiwanese official kneeling before her father’s coffin

Very little has changed. There are cultural factors involved that you don’t know about because you’ve never lived here. Please stop with the sanctimonious nonsense. There is no-one pointing a gun at your head and ordering you to come here.

2 Likes

It doesn’t seem like I am the only one on this thread that is surprised to see a woman crawling on the floor in shackles. I mean yahoo news is open to everyone’s viewing and there is clearly public outrage about it hence the article. This is the norm in Taiwan? Thanks for letting us all know. This isn’t about me coming there at all it’s about how this looks to the international community.

Agreed. Sorry, I should have marked my reply clearer as in a bit joking mood.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s pretty, either.

Hilarious. Prisoners in The Land of the Free aren’t even allowed to attend their parents’ funerals. That’s something to get all indignant about.
And what “international community” are you referring to?

1 Like

You can thank President Clinton for this. Prior to all of this the US is at least a fairly sane country with regards to criminal justice (not including the lynching and stuff), but once those laws got passed, incarceration shot WAY up, like over 1000 percent!

I don’t know if any such concessions like attending a parent’s funeral exists within the US criminal justice system, but the only time inmates are taken out of the jail/prison is for medical treatments. Those they are taken into secure wing of the hospital.

They also didn’t used to deport anyone prior to those crime laws being enacted, you had to commit fairly serious crimes to be deported. Now, if you are not a US citizen and are incarcerated for any reason, you will be deported in expedited ways. No judicial review, even courts will have no power to let you stay.

2 Likes

Uh it’s an international news site. We already know it is a police state in the US. This thread is about Taiwan politics from what I understand and that’s why the OP posted it is because it looks pretty bad to see this woman crawling on the floor in shackles. You seem obsessed with getting up in arms over things.

What’s an international news site?

It was split from another topic.

Not spent much time in the Middle East, have we?
Anyway, she didn’t have to be crawling around looking like the pious, grieving daughter in shackles. She could easily have stood to the side looking somber.

4 Likes

I don’t know if there is a definitive source on that, and I’m not ambitious enough to do any serious looking-up about it, but from briefly Googling around, I got the impression that it’s a mixed bag.

This man wasn’t allowed to attend:

But it seems these people were allowed:

There is a reason I have avoided taking any work in the Middle East. The money isn’t worth the BS you have to be complicit in.

Losing a parent is painful. I think allowing her to say goodbye without looking like a caged animal is not a huge ask. And while her crime was harmful (embezzlement) it was not violent. She didn’t rape or kill anyone. So put me reluctantly on the side of the Netizens on this one.

4 Likes

If you are awaiting sentencing, you’ve already been found guilty.

1 Like

It is a mixed bag. It depends on the crime, the law, the state, and is given on a case by case basis.

1 Like

IIRC, over 70% of people accused of federal crimes are offered bail, and over 60% make bail. There is a constitutional question with respect to denying bail, but it’s not nearly as hard as you seem to claim.

1 Like

It definitely happens.

The big increase in incarceration in the US really ratcheted up in the 80s with the war on drugs, before Clinton, and no, the rate didn’t go up anything resembling 1000% under Clinton.

https://www.sentencingproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/US-prison-pop-1925-2019-1.png

Sorry I meant trial

I don’t know… most the guys I see are in for “illegal reentry” which is a crime. Basically what they did was they sneaked back into the US after having been deported. It’s punishable by up to 20 years (which is silly IMO). They are never offered bail. It seems under most circumstances if you aren’t a US citizen you can’t be offered bail because noncitizens are automatically considered a flight risk. So jails are full of noncitizens too. Recently it seems they have vastly reduced the sentences given to illegal reentry, because surely even the Federal government has discovered how silly it is to jail people for reentering.

The only Federal case I seen that was on bail was a child sex offender. Basically he had sex with an underaged girl while on a cruise ship, which makes it Federal. I have to wonder if it was done for his protection because child sex offenders are universally hated in prison.

Indeed.

She made the choice to crawl on the floor.

She stole five million dollars of other peoples salary. She can get fucked.

2 Likes

My girlfriend says that part is normal. Most people do that. Only the shackles are considered shocking

1 Like

Yeah, she’s a flight risk for all we know. That happens. She’s in “incommunicado detention” and was refused bail presumably. She’s lucky they let her go at all most likely.