Shadow boxing with an Olympic giant (op-ed article)

My Google News Alert on ‘Kilgour organ’ pulled in this nice op-ed from Khaleej Times (UAE English daily).

tinyurl.com/377ynd

I Dugg it here with the following blurb:

[quote][b]FLG, Tibetans, Taiwanese and politicos all pile on Beijing[/b]

A good summary of the political forces lining up against Beijing, all hoping to use the Year of the Olympic Countdown to achieve their own goals that are anathema to the Chinese Communist Party.[/quote]

I thought it is was a really great piece. It touches on many issues that I am especially concerned over due to suspicious lack of media coverage. I live in Taiwan, have been to Tibet, and believe in David Kilgour and his report on organ harvesting allegations (ie. They’re accurate.)

[quote]Shadow boxing with an Olympic giant
BY GEORGE ABRAHAM
19 August 2007

CHINA’S 12-month countdown to the Beijing Olympics did not get off to a good start, at least not in Canada. Canadians rappelled down the Great Wall of China in sympathy with Tibetans, lent tacit support to Taiwan’s bid for a voice at the World Health Organisation (WHO) and called for government intervention in promoting democracy in the world’s most populous nation.

To top it all, a former Canadian junior cabinet minister and ardent human rights campaigner, David Kilgour, is spearheading a global human rights torch relay to boycott the summer games a few weeks after authoring a report that charged the Beijing government with being complicit in the harvesting of organs from members of a particular sect (the Falun Gong) and selling them to foreign tourists. Two years ago, Mr Kilgour had Sudan in his cross-hairs, daring the then Paul Martin government into doing more for refugees fleeing the Darfur region in return for his support in a close parliamentary vote.

The call for a boycott has been endorsed by a coalition in Washington called the Doctors Against Forced Organ Harvesting. “The call for boycott of the Olympics addresses the Communist government in Beijing not the Chinese people,” a spokesman, Torsten Trey said in a letter published in the Ottawa Citizen. A few US lawmakers have also got in on the act.

The Chinese mission in Ottawa has reacted with predictable angst to the call for a boycott, on the lines of a similar western shunning of the 1980 Moscow Olympics. An embassy spokesman saw it as an attempt to “politicise” the games, adding for good measure that, “To exploit the chance of the Beijing Olympic Games to engage in anti-China activity is not only shameful but also doomed to fail.”

The disdain for China extends from senior members of the Harper government to ordinary citizens who pen letters to the editor. Recent revelations about Chinese toy exports being tainted with lead and farm produce being unsafe have fed into a diplomatic chill that has beset relations since the Conservatives came to power in January last year. Prime Minister Stephen Harper famously remarked about China that “I think Canadians want us to promote our trade relations worldwide, and we do that, but I don’t think Canadians want us to sell out important Canadian values. They don’t want us to sell that out to the almighty dollar.”

Most Canadians expect China to be on its best behaviour in the run up to Beijing. It is perhaps the only explanation for the speedy way in which the Chinese government kicked out – rather than incarcerated – three Canadians who had caused it enormous embarrassment on the day it launched its countdown spectacle. Rather than being jailed and tried under China’s stringent laws governing public behaviour, Sam Price, Melanie Raoul and Lhadon Tethong, were expeditiously kicked out of the country and put on Canada-bound planes.

The three had helped put up a huge pro-Tibet banner on the Great Wall of China, recording the event and then posting it live on popular websites like YouTube. Ms. Raoul said on her return, “The banner was on the wall for nearly two hours. It was a fantastic moment. I’m completely thrilled the way we got the message out there.” They were greeted in Vancouver and Toronto as homecoming heroes when their commercial airliners landed in Canada.

In what has been described by commentators as “another burr under [Canada’s] relationship with China,” Health Minister Tony Clement has lent this country’s support for Taiwan taking part in technical meetings of the WHO. This has been interpreted as tacit support for Taiwan’s bid to gain observer status at the World Health Authority, which governs the WHO.

Taiwan’s resident representative in Canada was undoubtedly delighted, saying, “This is a very positive sign. … We have been frustrated since 1971, when we lost UN membership, and we have been deprived of participation in all the UN related agencies … and a major country like Canada says something like this, that carries some weight,” David Ta-Wei Lee said. The Chinese response was equal and opposite: “It is hoped Canada will be able to see through such political motives on the part of the Taiwan authorities.”

Tibet and WHO membership, though, are modest goals compared to another Canadian desire. Despite the bad rap that democratisation has gained in the wake of the American disaster in Iraq, Canadian parliamentarians are all for spreading the message of liberty and freedom to the Forbidden City and beyond. In a bipartisan report released last July, the Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs and International Development suggested that Canada should be joining the US, Britain and Norway as a global promoter of democratic institutions.

“Canada should carefully consider how it might support democratic transition in China, the stirrings of which are already apparent,” the parliamentary committee said. Citing this report, Bruce Gilley, author of China’s Democratic Future: How it will Happen and Where it will Lead, said, “Putting China at the top of a wider agenda of Canadian-style democracy promotion would be a great way to start making amends for 40 years of unprincipled dealings with Beijing.”

However, there are pragmatic voices even within Conservative ranks that caution against ‘megaphone democratisation.’ They also point out that only those who are unsullied can preach from high ground. John Reynolds, who is widely credited with strategising the gains the party made in the 2006 campaign and who has just returned from a business trip to Beijing, senses a lot of shadow boxing and hectoring, to no avail. “It’s the up-and-coming superpower of the world. Is it perfect? No, but is Canada perfect or is the US perfect?”

George Abraham is a journalist based in Ottawa, Canada [/quote]

No human rights, no Olympic.

I look forward to a day when the power relationship is reversed, such that the mantle of self-righteousness will naturally slip onto China’s shoulders.

For example, no more trade with Canada until the federal government guarantees Quebec a binding referendum on secession. Furthermore, all revenue associated with resource extraction (one of Canada’s sole meaningful exports in the 21st century) must be delivered to aboriginal residents on the lands exclusively; I see no reason to accept the unfair land treaties forced upon aboriginals. No more European interference in Canadian affairs. Oh, and Canada isn’t invited to the 2060 Shanghai Olympics unless prostitution is declared illegal and the victimization of women is ended.

This isn’t to suggest China isn’t guilty of this or 1000 other crimes… but really, the sense that Canada has the “right” to make the accusation and dictate policy to China is very interesting. Certainly, Canada and the West absolutely have the upper hand in terms of imposing her values and judgment… we have to sit there, smile, and listen… or we may have our walk down the path of economic development delayed unnecessarily.

But the scales will eventually shift, and we’ll see who does the judging then.

Some arrogant fools believe that if they don’t colonise the majority, the minority is their pawns to attack the majority. What lousy shitts is there for the Canadians to tell what the Chinese need to do? It’s a high time to jolt the slumbering Canadians out of the doldrum that the days of Whites’ supremacy are being challenged and replaced.

Hello CCTang. Do you consider the harvesting of organs from unwilling Falun Gong donors to be China policy? I find it interesting that both you and BeeBee find more substance in attacking those who would wish to report on these atrocities rather than discussing what could/should be done to prevent it happening.

I’ve read many of your posts on how China is becoming more powerful and even in your post above the theme is reoccurring [quote]I look forward to a day when the power relationship is reversed, such that the mantle of self-righteousness will naturally slip onto China’s shoulders[/quote]rant rant , rave rave …

In my opinion, the corruption that exists in China ,which is so rampant and so infused into the culture to the point where some may have difficulty drawing the line between normal business practices and what is illegal and while currently working in its favour, I believe this will be the largest obstacle in a continued rise of power in China.

Its a bit soon to be running the victory lap on world domination when PRC has a GDP around 12% of the USA with 3 times the population and while the manufacturing industry has taken off well, sure some company wants to make a poop scooper for their dog, off to China they go for cheep manufacturing. Oh, I know you have all sorts of stories on how well the Chinese are doing in other areas, but still overall they are playing catch up.

Mick,

Do you find Canada’s Chinese Head Tax and Exclusion Act to be acts of the enlightened west?

[quote=“Mick”][quote=“cctang”]
but really, the sense that Canada has the “right” to make the accusation and dictate policy to China is very interesting.
[/quote]

Hello CCTang. Do you consider the harvesting of organs from unwilling Falun Gong donors to be China policy? I find it interesting that both you and BeeBee find more substance in attacking those who would wish to report on these atrocities rather than discussing what could/should be done to prevent it happening.
[/quote]
If you’ve read Kilgour’s “report” in depth, you would laugh at the evidence he uses to support his claims. It’s almost all exclusively single-source, translated phone-call transcripts between “volunteers” with Chinese hospitals about the possibility of getting an organ transplant. And even then, these self-reported phone-call transcripts (when can we native Chinese speakers hear the actual recordings?) are unbelievably ambiguous in meaning.

If you approach this evidence with even the bare minimum of objectivity, you’d find it to be comical.

To answer your question (and even beyond), I absolutely believe repression of the public practice of Falun Gong is government policy. I absolutely believe those who continue to either practice Falun Gong, or support Falun Gong’s political/activist campaigns are regularly detained. The vast majority of these are detained, against their will, in government institutions where their beliefs are regularly challenged and they’re subjected to what is essentially brain-washing. They will not be allowed to leave unless they at least outwardly claim to dismiss the tenets of their belief. Those who refuse to outwardly conform in these institutions, for example by insisting on continuing with their exercises, will I’m sure often face physical assault and abuse.

But large farms of Falun Gong members being “harvested” for their organs? I don’t believe for a second that it occurs as a matter of policy. I do believe there’s an organ trade in China, but it has little to do with government policy. China has 600 million rural Chinese, of whom the poorest 10% (that would be 60 million) probably live hand to mouth on a daily basis. The economic incentive for any of these rural Chinese to sell organs is very, very high.

And at the end of the day, this entire discussion would fall apart if those posing the hypothetical would stop for a moment and consider the motivations involved here. WHY. Why would the Chinese government choose to be engaged in this trade? How much economic value does it actually generate? What are the costs involved in maintaining the infrastructure needed to run these concentration camps? What % of the revenue gains from these operations go towards government security forces, and what % would go in the pockets of the hospital? What percentage of total government revenues would this particular trade represent?

This policy can only exist if two things were true: A) the Chinese government is very evil, B) the Chinese government is very stupid. I’m not going to dispute the first with people who have already drawn their own conclusions on the basis of their very limited amount of personal information. But the second? For a bunch of drooling idiots who can’t manage to calculate a fraction, the Chinese government has done quite a bit right over the past 20 years, I would say.

I’m not going to dispute the existence of systematic corruption, nor that it’s (one of the) biggest obstacles facing China today.

But so what? Didn’t that level of corruption exist in the United States or other industrializing nations a century ago? Are you familiar with the writings of Upton Sinclair? Are you sure a similar type of corruption doesn’t exist in other developing nations today… say, India, Mexico?

I don’t think any of that is much of a news flash. China will be playing catch up until the day they aren’t playing catch up any more… and that day is still decades away. It is beyond the powers of mankind to change the rules of basic arithmetic or rewrite history, and China will continue to be far poorer than the developed nations of the world for decades to come. As I’ve repeated many times before, the Chinese will be spitting in public, cheating on their taxes, wearing cheap clothes, living in small apartments, and driving badly for decades to come as well. And nothing, literally nothing, can change those fundamental facts.

I wish my ancestors had made wiser choices, and I wish your ancestors had made kinder choices. But when I’m done with my day-dreaming, all I can do is play the hand that I was dealt and get back to work. China’s dominance can’t be guaranteed, because a known future is a contradiction in terms… but as I’ve said many times before, I like China’s chances.

And why, you will inevitably ask, do I like China’s chances? Because I believe 1.3 billion people obsessed with the tenets of hard work, who view the importance of education as a matter of religious faith, who are willing to sacrifice to achieve, who often hold family and society above self… are destined to succeed in a fair contest. We just need flat terrain on which to compete, and we will succeed. We’ve made innumerable mistakes in the past two centuries, but I for one believe we’ve also learned valuable lessons. There are success stories in just about every microeconomic Chinese society on this planet, and the theme will be re-enforced when China as a country finally stands on both feet.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Mick,

Do you find Canada’s Chinese Head Tax and Exclusion Act to be acts of the enlightened west?[/quote]

Since you’re so focused on history, ac_dropout, do you really think Hong Xiuquan was Jesus’ reincarnated brother?

HG

You forgot to say, “Hey hey, hey ho!”

So are saying someone who knows history, understand religion as well. Fart question.

[quote=“beebee”][quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]
Since you’re so focused on history, ac_dropout, do you really think Hong Xiuquan was Jesus’ reincarnated brother?
[/quote]
So are saying someone who knows history, understand religion as well. Fart question.
–[/quote]

Learn to write English, please.

[quote=“Stimpy”]
Learn to write English, please.[/quote]
Thou shalt write in Queen’s English. Sorry, this is Taiwan postings forum.

[quote=“beebee”][quote=“Stimpy”]
–[/quote]

Then you are forgiven for not understanding the historical significance of the question.

HG

[quote=“beebee”][quote=“Stimpy”]
–[/quote]

No. Not necessarily the Queen’s English. Any English will do. Just what language you are writing here right now, though, is anyone’s guess.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”][quote=“ac_dropout”]Mick,

Do you find Canada’s Chinese Head Tax and Exclusion Act to be acts of the enlightened west?[/quote]

HG[/quote]
No more than I believe the Mormons and their gold plates.

Stimpy, I don’t know what Queen bb is talking about…

maybe this one:

http://ia331329.us.archive.org/1/items/QueensEnglishEp11/queensenglish-2006-09-26.mp3

[quote=“ac_dropout”][quote=“Huang Guang Chen”][quote=“ac_dropout”]Mick,

HG[/quote]
No more than I believe the Mormons and their gold plates.[/quote]

Personally I’m still waiting for the Mormons to start a rampage across Utah that will require the US to hire Chinese free-lance generals to put down at great expenditure.

Put it in a nice way, we should just say thanks to both Stimpy and ccpcannonfolder for their hardwork, in correcting English to their English.

I’m sure the warlords will find a lot in common with the Mormons, besides practicing illegal polygamy…

I thought it was free advertising for their day jobs… :laughing:

Put it in a nice way, we should just say thanks to both Stimpy and ccpcannonfolder for their hardwork, in correcting English to their English.
[/quote]
Some people are addicted to the sense of superiority they feel at being a native speaker of English in Asia. Of course, the fact that English is basically the lingua franca for international exchange is the reason they have some value in their professional careers… but that has nothing to do with these guys directly. They mistakenly believe that the degree of attention they receive is some how is related to their own intellectual prowess or capabilities, when it’s really an accident of breeding. Their linguistic capabilities are probably barely average in their native countries, but they can at least lord over English learners.

The fact that they correct your English reflects their inner sense of inadequacy, borne of their inability to contribute anything else meaningful on this issue.