Shakshouka at Wow's 邦查 Cafe(波浪屋2號倉庫)

Wow’s has effectively shut down. The guy from Australia took his wife back there a few weeks ago. The sister-in-law is running it now, and the menu has been drastically reduced. Last time I was there they were only serving hamburgers, and the hamburger I ordered wasn’t very good.

3 Likes

Wow’s Cafe, RIP.

Guy

Rather embarrasingly this is the first time I’ve heard of this dish. I’ll cook it tonight.

1 Like

Same feeling. we ate there recently, the burgers were soso. To be fair, their cheese burgerwas soso before as well. but they had other things on the menu that were yummy. they are gone now :frowning:

Interestingly, before the Australian husband came their menu was even better in the beginning. Sadly so many good eateries die off in smaller cities :frowning:

Nice ! If you do make it, show us a photo of your version. To me there is no wrong way, just a different way.

1 Like

Quite sad to hear this, but except on some weekends it was not busy. Taiwanese like Starbucks (100m in front) and MOS, and other chains nearby its hard get people to shops like this (to be fair quite non Taiwanese visitors go to Starbucks too). Nice place at least for a drink, hope they maintain the second floor.

to be fair, even Starbucks moved to that new spot at essentially the same time eslite left the city. Sometimes landlords are to blame, sometimes customers, sometimes logistics and sometimes poor business skills.

Wows seemed to have big issues less from starbucks but more from the city government project money running constant markets outside. as have many local eateries around that core of the city :frowning: I miss old WOWs as well as abc deli there. haven’t found a decent substitute since, when in Taitung city. Perhaps others have sone.good suggestions :smiley: Taiwans welfare projects arent always a plus for thepeople really making a go at it.

1 Like

I didn’t have time to knock one up last night. I will send a photo but surely it’s a taste over appearance dish, isn’t it?

1 Like

It wasn’t really Starbucks and Mos Burger that drove them out. The building was managed badly, and they had a lot of trouble with the group in charge of things like managing garbage and keeping the area in front of their restaurant clear.

BIG slow food festival in front of their restaurant. Great for them, right? But the people running the festival would set up the stage right in front of Wow’s, and when the owner complained the result was always drama.

It’s right at Tiehua, right in the center of the action.

It seems a bit odd to me to complain about that location, as it’s not like it’s a surprise to anyone. There always seem to be stalls and events there.

Plus: there are heaps of other possible locations around Taitung. If the owners of Wow’s didn’t want to be at Tiehua, they could have found another location. :person_shrugging:

Guy

1 Like

Slow food is only twice annually. the market in front of them (the old parking lot) is the slow food festival, which is held near the sports center.

To be fair, wows was there before that market was thought of. But ya, everyone has the right to do business. and taitung gov is big into tourism projects…honestly I wouldnt want to open a restaraunt there. hard times ahead, more often than not :frowning:

Plus: there are heaps of other possible locations around Taitung. If the owners of Wow’s didn’t want to be at Tiehua, they could have found another location. :person_shrugging:

That’s always been a mystery to me. I’ve known the owner for a few years now, and every time I suggested moving to another place he dismissed the option without further discussion.

Yes, taste is the priority! Still would like to see your version

1 Like

Drink with this good drink

2 Likes

Another Finley!

At the moment my wife is unfortunately not too keen about the dish.

Tell her it is chinese food?

1 Like

Marco Polo no doubt brought the recipe to Africa, via Europe, before tomatoes.

1 Like

might be a stretch, but as the broader definition of " Shakshuka", would the lunch box style in taiwan be considered this as well? seems to match the definition of eggs cooked in tomatoes/tomato sauce. or are there other requirements for this dish?

No, that is tomato egg. It’s delicious when done right, but it’s not shakshouka.

Guy

1 Like