Share experience on building a forum site

This cool little quick reply thingie at bottom. :slight_smile:

J.

I noticed this and never used it. This will help me be a game parlor gangster.

I must be doing something wrong :x

I canā€™t even connect me ftp client to lycos.co.uk

Iā€™m using ws_ftpLE, ftping tp ftp.members.lycos.co.uk, user name and password has been checked and reset about 4 times so Iā€™m quite sure thatā€™s not the problem.

What else could it be? I get an error 530 in ws_ftp which I guess is a sever side reply.

ax, what ftp program did you use?

Thanks

Passive transfer is enabled.

Miltownkid, I was trying to ftp using ws_ftp95 with the UK lycos site also and could never get it up. I just ended up getting an account at icdsoft.com (recommended here somewhere) for $60/year + 5.00 for the domain.

I wonder if maybe you just need another ftp client. They have some recommended on their site but it required a purchase if I remember correctly so I figured the hosting account was the better deal.

J.

Iā€™m glad to know I wasnā€™t the only one having problems. I just wanted to check it out there before I got a domain. I think I too will just sign up somewhere. I checked the place segue is hosted and it was $20USD/month.

Iā€™d consider myself pretty tech savay, but can anyone give me an idea of what I would need (in terms of webspace, bandwidth and the likes) to host a site like this one? I donā€™t wnat to sign up somewhere thatā€™s cheap at first and then pisses me off in the long run (maybe Iā€™m thinking too far ahead).

Thanks J

Mil

It all depends on what type of website you want. If you build a website that has a lot of graphics, flash, and other multimedia stuff then you need more bandwidth and storage space. Segue doenā€™t have a lot of graphics around so that limits the bandwidth. As for the actual numbers of users and bandwidth, youā€™ll have to talk to Gus about it. See if heā€™s willing to release the numbers to the public. Part of choosing a webhost is to consider where your user base is going to be and how good the equipment is. I recommended the current web host to Gus because it was located in the SF Bay Area with access to fast backbone. This gave the site the ability to serve the US and Taiwan relatively fast. I tried to access site that were served by this webhost in Taiwan and it was pretty good. The price was reasonable. It is a lot better than the old host that Gus used.

Mark

I have my site up now and Iā€™d really like to know what mods gus is using if anyone can help me with that.

Thanks

I think Gus has been pretty busy with school and work lately. Maybe heā€™ll share with you after the new year.

Whereā€™s the url? Iā€™d like to see it if youā€™d like to share by PM

:slight_smile:

J.

For anyone who cares hereā€™s the forum site Iā€™ll be working on
http://www.taichisearchcenter.com. Iā€™ll probably be changing something everyday for a while.

If your curious about search center (whatā€™s that?) see this page http://www.henrytaichischool.com.

Any help concerning phpbb mods and site ideas would be a great help.

Thanks

Hi 'kid!

Good luck on your site. Hereā€™s one of my favorite sites with information on getting high rankings on the search engines:
selfpromotion.com

I still need to work on my index page and transfer old files to the new url. Then I want to figure out how to change the header the way Gus has up above. I figure between household, kids, husband, having another baby, that should be done byā€¦ maybe next Christmas! :slight_smile:

J.

HI Guys,
Try this free ftp software ā€” I think itā€™s great!

asia.cnet.com/downloads/pc/swinf ā€¦ 92s,00.htm

hi folks,

Iā€™m back in Taipei to the end of the month ā€“ Iā€™ll post up and list out the mods that Iā€™ve been using over time (please expect something this week after I settle down from my recent travels)

You can find everything Iā€™ve used at these two websites:
www.phpbb.com
www.phpbbhacks.com

Here are most of the mods I used. I didnā€™t implement all of them, but most should be familiar

Helping Google spider our forums
phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=43552

Redirect to same page after login
phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=37670

Multi-interface (field) posting [adapted]
phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=45480

Chatbox
phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=510

Number of New Topics by Month Module
phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=676

phpBB Fetch All
phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=732

Quick Reply Hack
phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=522

Redirection Suite
phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=550

Remote Avatar Resize
phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=468

Sponsored Categories Hack (2.0.0)
phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=503

Topic in Whoā€™s Online
phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=472

myCalendar
Download: mojave.mojavelinux.com/forum/vie ā€¦ hp?p=11#11
Demo: percussions.org/
Discussion: phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ā€¦ sc&start=0

Referral/Who Told You Hack
phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=509

Forum Views
phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=590

Forum Notification
phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=293

Hypercells
phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=279

Latest Topics MOdule
phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=680

Recent Topics (Second Version)
phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=589

Tell A Friend
phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=270

View Recent Posts
phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=450

Whoā€™s Online on Any Page
phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=201

Thank you very much!
you sir get all my karma :shock:

Iā€™ll let everyone know how my upgrading goes. Did you use one of those mod (hack) install tools? From what Iā€™ve looked at thus far, it doesnā€™t look hard to do the cutting and pasting.

Was that a mod effect that when you place your mouse over the message title in a forum topic and it shows a tooltip with a scrap of or the message inside?

regards

ax

So far all Iā€™ve done is change the php logo by replacing the same file name with a jpeg. But once you start making loads of changes, how do you keep track of it all?

J.

Cutting and pasting is not difficult ā€“ but it does take up time.

Iā€™ve tried some mod install tools, but havenā€™t had much success. Iā€™m too impatient to get them to working, and Iā€™ve found that there arenā€™t very many mods that are compliant anyway.

The stats mods installation is the exception. I highly recommend you set up the version where you just have to upload the modules to a directory and the stats system automatically recognizes and allows you to load them.

Yes. My list so far is NOT complete ā€“ it is only the most available one I found in one of our private forums. There are a bunch more ā€“ and Iā€™ll post these and links to them here. But you can find many many more for yourself at www.phpbbhacks.com

Yup, thatā€™s the story of my life: I donā€™t keep track and I keep paying for this carelessness over and over.

now Iā€™m determined to keep track of successful mods and will post up ā€œpre-moddedā€ versions of what I do here just to prove it :slight_smile:

This is good, too
phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=26108

Has lists of phpBB friendly webhosts (free and paid)

I have applied this mod to my forum expecting I would be able to find my site on Google.
Helping Google spider our forums
phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=43552

After I apply this mod I went to google and typed: ā€œaxlinguaeā€. Hit search. and, ā€œNada!ā€

Can somebody tell me where to put Meta ID on php just like I did with HTML, so that google can use it to find my site?

gracias,

ax

I think Google only does updates (whatā€™s the word again? crawls? spiders?) about once a month. Last two were supposedly around Halloween and Thanksgiving and the next one may be this weekend or after the first of the year.

J.