Share your Covid Vaccination Experience Here

Day 3 after the first shot and I’d say it’s the first time I can say I feel back to normal. So two and a half days of lethargy and feeling like jet lag were certainly worth it. The slight aches and even the pain around the injection point went away in less than a day. Hope everyone else is doing ok.

8 Likes

In Banqiao at least, this brand seems to be sold out everywhere I looked for it. Even saw a notice in the Far Eastern Hospital pharmacy after my vaccination saying they had sold out. However, I had asked for it in the tiny pharmacy I use and they had sold me an alternative with acetaminophen in it.

1 Like

I had what I would describe as a ‘medium hangover’ (like what you’d get from a bottle of red wine, not a bottle of scotch) for about 6 hours. Mild fever and a lot of fatigue and body aches. It went as soon as it came though.

4 Likes

I got my shot Friday around 11:30am and felt normal until around 9:30pm when a low grade headache settled in. By 10:30pm I had a fever and was in and out of sleep. I got chills around 2am and had to break out my literal heavy (weighted) blanket. Not a fun night and the fever/some body aches stayed with me all day saturday; however the “acetaminophen” really helped. By this morning, the fever and aches were gone.

For context, I’m early 40s and tend to be an exercise nutcase. It wasn’t as bad as I thought, but I also hope the 2nd shot will be more mild.

4 Likes

I recommend going to Far Eastern on a Saturday. Also I was trying to avoid getting there early and ended up arriving with only 20 minutes left of my 3-4pm timeslot. I know this because a security guard shouted it after us after we’d asked him which way to go. Perhaps due to a combination of all these factors there was no queue and there didn’t seem to be anybody else inside except people involved with the vaccinations. The observation area had two or three places with four empty seats in a row that we could have used to sit together afterwards. My girlfriend said maybe less people would go because it was raining heavily, but I can’t imagine that putting people off because they’d have to wait until the next round.

1 Like

Far Eastern in banqiao?

It was crazy when I went. Still fast though.

Maybe it was because they were doing all the cram school teachers that day?

Also hospitals don’t normally have normal outpatients on Saturday so you are right, if you can get a Saturday appointment, take it.

1 Like

Yes, Banqiao. I chose Saturday so I wouldn’t have to take time off work. It being quieter was something I hadn’t thought about. I was actually ready for Chinese train station style jostling. I did feel that although there was nobody waiting behind me they were in a hurry to get me through the process as fast as possible, but every time I had a question they were willing to stop and make sure I was satisfied before proceeding.

2 Likes

Did you see a lot of westerners?

A few.

But most cram school teachers are not westerners.

For example, my daughter’s dance teachers all got jabbed at the same place the day before because they are cram school teachers.

Got mine (AZ) with virtually all of my coworkers on Friday early afternoon. Process was pretty easy:

• Walk in and register QR code and picture of NHI card
  • Sit in a large room with rows and rows of chairs, all evenly spaced out
  • Nurses / Docs walk through and ask questions and say drink a lot of water
  • Another with a cart and sitting in an office chair wheels over and administers the vaccine
  • Go to waiting area to wait 20 minutes, take selfies with vaccination card to make parents happy, then free to go

It’s been over 48 hours, and here’s my experience

• Friday: nothing. Arm didn’t hurt, didn’t feel especially tired, no fever. Went to bed around midnight because I didn’t sleep much the night before.
  • Saturday: woke up feeling dreadful. Wife kept checking my head, kept saying I was hot. I didn’t feel like I had a fever. But later I checked and found I had a fever of 38.5º C. I had a pounding headache. Also, my shoulder hurt really bad. I didn’t want to eat anything (especially salty or oily foods, as mentioned above). Forced myself to eat some fruit and some yogurt. My sense of taste was off. Food tasted a bit gross. Took some Taiwanese acetaminophen every 6ish hours, which reduced my fever and made my headache more bearable. I also had chills and body aches. My temp stayed around 37.5º while on medicine and 38º when off. I slept A LOT. I barely remember yesterday. It was horrible.
  • Sunday: woke up around 12 feeling much better. Temperature is a bit high at 37.5º, and still have a headache. With medicine, I feel almost normal but still mostly out of it. Actually had an appetite and just chowed down on some McDonald’s.

Guess I’ll be back to normal by tomorrow, so when all is said and done I’m just pissed off that I get to suffer all weekend only to go back to work tomorrow for an extra shitty week.

11 Likes

My wife and I got Moderna in early March. At the time we were living in northern Michigan near an Indian reservation and they got more shots than they could use so they put out the call for anyone who wanted one.

Both shots were painless. After the first shot I felt just a bit sick the next day. After the second shot I noticed nothing.

7 Likes

What effects has anyone felt after a second AZ jab? Is it as bad as the first? Sorry if anyone’s shared but I’ve been out of it since the first jab. Self-thinning my blood with whiskey didn’t help.

1 Like

I felt nothing after the second shot, compared to a couple days “hungover” with the first one. The general consensus seems to be that AZ is worse for the first shot, but of course the general consensus is often wrong, and everyone’s experiences vary.

1 Like

In general, the side effects of the second AZ shot are milder than the first.

This was also the case with me. The second dose was significantly milder than the first; in fact, I was able to function normally and even go out for my daily exercise. It was just a little bit of wooziness, some mild body aches, and a little bit of swelling in my nasal membranes (no mucus).

1 Like

Got my first AZ jab yesterday. Pretty painless >10 minutes to go in, register, and get the shot.

24 hours later there is a slight discomfort in my arm, and a mild headache, but otherwise so far so good!

4 Likes

It seems like almost everyone had some mild to moderate side effects. I thought they said less than 1/10 gets a fever/headache and other mild side effects.

looking at this thread, it seems like 1 in 10 don’t have these.

5 Likes

I chalk it up to people naturally feeling more compelled to post a complaint online, rather than the comparatively boring “nothing happened”.

6 Likes

I understand that people who have negative experiences complain online more.

But what about this thread?? This thread is full of people who regularly post on here. It is not full of randoms coming on just to say they had a bad experience.

And most have had mild to moderate symptoms. Most of the people i know had mild to moderate symptoms. I asked everyone I know.

I certainly see what you are saying. Getting mine soon and honestly really curious how it is going to pan out.

Just to make you feel better…I had zero side effects. Hopefully you will be one of the chosen few like me.

3 Likes