Share your Taiwan Salary Anonymously

your wife’s secretary makes 1.8 million nt a year? can I join that company ?
150k a month for a secretarial position, even with 25 years experience is an outlier

Companies like this are often foreign companies.

Taiwanese companies would never pay this well. 28-30k is the norm here, with experience maybe up to 50.

Yes

She’s been removing people who don’t fit the company culture with people who do (proactive, problem solving, positive, respectful), so, probably if you fit and are qualified.

I suspect you’re right, but it’s not at my company either for people who’ve been in the position a long time. As TL says, these are both American companies.

This is not true, my colleague’s brother works as a truck driver, was earning 50k in Changhwa and moved to a Taipei company to earn 70k. and that was back in 2013!

Is he driving impossible routes 12 hours a day? Because that should be illegal. They’re putting lives at risk.

Stop trying to look for loopholes to make your argument correct, it is not going to work. You keep throwing things out there and when you get contradicted you find something else to make the claim seem illegal now?

Bus drivers in Taipei make 70k too. Makes you wonder if you chose the right career, doesn’t it?

2 Likes

My mate’s husband works on the garbage trucks and supposedly earns a packet. I’ll ask her how much he gets.

Is it the hobby of this forum to personally attack members for saying something?

You highjack every thread and now you feel personally attacked? And no, I am not attacking you. Why does something has to be illegal just because it doesn’t fall in line with what you think is going on?

1 Like

it doesn’t seem that you are personally attacked for saying something. You are just criticized for saying something.

1 Like

The tone of the criticisms seems harsh, no? And with claims of thread hijacking and whatnot, it seems fair to read the rhetorical question about wondering whether “you chose the right career” as an attack, even though I think that Frank’s point was more of a general message of “it makes you think” because they do quite well for themselves.

Just my $0.02.

1 Like

Many work in Tokyo commute. One hour commute is nothing uncommon. Besides, those 1000/hr jobs are usually taken by students or housewives who want extra income, not really for those who solely dependent on that job to support themselves.

It doesn’t sound so harsh for me, but I’m not fluent in English so maybe I don’t understand the tone correctly.

Seriously? You’re not fluent in English? Well kudos to you…you write better than I. One day I hope to be as not fluent in Chinese as you are not fluent in English! Do you mind if I ask what your first language is?

2 Likes

This newspaper in Taiwan paid me $1500 NT for a writing gig, which is $53.

It is a general message, I don’t how much he makes or what he does.

And?

Which applies to Taiwan as well.

so you can manage with 1000/hr job in Tokyo.

No, I don’t, but I wouldn’t answer.

so it is less nightmarish than or as nightmarish as 150/hr in Taipei?

At that time it’s around 100 NTD in Taipei. When I left it was 98 NTD per hour when I returned it was 120NTD. I do not know the hour rate in JP right now, and I don’t think it’s fair to compare 2020 hourly rate in Taiwan to 2014 hourly rate in JP. Also I said at least 1000 yen. I rounded it up since I don’t remember the exact pay. I think a regular job was about 1300-1500 yen by the time. 1050 yen would be considered a shit hole. The point is, hourly rate in Tokyo was 50% higher than the minimum wage, while in Taiwan hourly wage IS minimum wage.