Sharia law ... a proper governmental system?

That’s a good one … never thought about it that way … sharia law, a good governmental system …

It’s not only about chopping off hands and legs, stoning people to dead … but that’s the part that’s a little over the top and I can’t see it as a ‘proper’ governmental system.

Anytime religion mixes with politics, the result is diminished freedom.

…and a diminished religion.

Could you please go explain this to my government?

proper for the middle ages. great unless you are a woman or some other minority. black and white view of the world that entrenches feudalism and restricts moral choice to the imam’s interpretation of a supposedly divine handbook. and have you everr read any of the prohibitions in the koran? man, that thing is evil.

religion is the domain of your brain and your beliefs, not mine. please don’t let your poisoned thoughts restrict my freedom to think what i want.

That’s because you are a hellbound fool with no respect for the theocratic traditions that make our people great.

Define what you mean by “mixing” please. I ask because sometimes it seems that some of the more brilliant political movements — abolitionists, civil rights,tax benefits for individual and corporate charity, to name a few, were at least in part motivated by religious beliefs.

1 Like

Absolutely; religion does much political good. The problem comes when it’s not religious motivation or moral inspiration, but over zealous religious enthusiasm that’s doing the political work.

Mixing corrupts both politics and religion. Obama gave a great speech on this not so long ago:

[quote=“Obama speech to Sojourners”]For one, they need to understand the critical role that the separation of church and state has played in preserving not only our democracy, but the robustness of our religious practice. That during our founding, it was not the atheists or the civil libertarians who were the most effective champions of this separation; it was the persecuted religious minorities, Baptists like John Leland, who were most concerned that any state-sponsored religion might hinder their ability to practice their faith.
[…]
This brings me to my second point. Democracy demands that the religiously motivated translate their concerns into universal, rather than religion-specific, values. It requires that their proposals be subject to argument, and amenable to reason. I may be opposed to abortion for religious reasons, but if I seek to pass a law banning the practice, I cannot simply point to the teachings of my church or evoke God’s will. I have to explain why abortion violates some principle that is accessible to people of all faiths, including those with no faith at all.

This may be difficult for those who believe in the inerrancy of the Bible, as many evangelicals do. But in a pluralistic democracy, we have no choice. Politics depends on our ability to persuade each other of common aims based on a common reality. It involves the compromise, the art of the possible. At some fundamental level, religion does not allow for compromise. It insists on the impossible. If God has spoken, then followers are expected to live up to God’s edicts, regardless of the consequences. To base one’s life on such uncompromising commitments may be sublime; to base our policy making on such commitments would be a dangerous thing.[/quote]

Yes it is. And before you say anything Jaboney, the Old Testament/Jewish Bible is too.

Oh those wacky Wahabbist Saudis !

[quote]Partygoers to be flogged
04/02/2007 21:05 - (SA)

Riyadh - A Saudi Arabian court has convicted and sentenced 20 foreigners to receive lashes and spend several months in prison for attending a party where alcoholic drinks were served and men and women danced, a Saudi newspaper reported on Sunday.

The kingdom’s religious police arrested 433 foreigners, including more than 240 women, for attending the “impudent” party in Jiddah, the state-guided newspaper Okaz reported.

It did not identify the foreigners, give their nationalities or say when the party took place.

Judge Saud al-Boushi sentenced the 20 to three to four month in prison and ordered them to receive an unspecified number of lashes.

They have the right to appeal, the newspaper said.

The prosecutor general charged the 20 with “drinking, arranging for impudent party, mixed dancing and shooting a video for the party”, Okaz said.
News 24.com[/quote]

Obama is awesome, too bad America is not ready for black president.

Oh those wacky Wahabbist Saudis !

Riyadh - A Saudi Arabian court has convicted and sentenced 20 foreigners to receive lashes and spend several months in prison for attending a party where alcoholic drinks were served and men and women danced, a Saudi newspaper reported on Sunday.

The kingdom’s religious police arrested 433 foreigners, including more than 240 women, for attending the “impudent” party in Jiddah, the state-guided newspaper Okaz reported.

It did not identify the foreigners, give their nationalities or say when the party took place.

Judge Saud al-Boushi sentenced the 20 to three to four month in prison and ordered them to receive an unspecified number of lashes.

They have the right to appeal, the newspaper said.

The prosecutor general charged the 20 with “drinking, arranging for impudent party, mixed dancing and shooting a video for the party”, Okaz said.

[/quote]

The best way to not attracked foreign investment and labour and the short way back to stone age …

The idea that religion and politics are disparate institutions is relatively new in the history of the world. It would have been as incomprehensible to ancient Judea or 12th century France as it is to 21st century Saudi Arabia to think of good governance and good religion as being distinguishable. The eventually division of religion and politics was a bit more digestible to Christians, because the Christian faith is focused more on spirituality than following religious laws. Orthodox Judaism and traditional Islam are both highly legalistic, with literally hundreds of proscriptions and prescriptions to obey. There are anti-Zionist Haredi Jews in Israel who openly scorn modern Israelis who do unspeakable things like swim in normal bathing suits and attend co-ed schools. It is no coincidence that Israelis deride the Haredim as “Khomeinists”. Most Israeli Jews consider the Haredim as no better than Sharia-preaching Khomeini. I tend to agree.

I would not say that Sharia “merges” politics and religion so much as it is a form of government that predates such a division. My problem with Sharia law goes far beyond bodily mutilation as punishment for theft or death as punishment for adultery, apostasy, etc. I hate Sharia because it is the total cessation of all freedom. Under Sharia law you think for yourself and follow your own mind at your peril. During the Taliban years in Afghanistan it was common for the religious police to push men to side of the road and take a peak under their undergarments to see if they had shaved off their pubic hair. Under Sharia both men and women must remove their pubic hair at least every 40 days. Now laugh and joke all you want but try and think about this seriously too: Under Sharia law you do not even have the freedom to groom your own private parts as you see fit. Every single aspect of your life will be controlled. You will wake every single day and pray at dawn, and four times after that, not when you want to, but when you are told. You will use your right hand for this and your left hand for that. You may eat this but not that. You may drink this but not that. And if you are a woman then you have far more restrictions and less freedoms throughout your life.

That’s Islamic law. That’s Sharia. That’s what tens of millions of Muslims around the world want to impose on all of us, and that’s what al-Qaeda is fighting for. So when you hear me say I don’t care if pro-Sharia Muslims are trying to impose it peacefully (like Cat Stevens, now Yusuf Islam, who says he prays the British government will adopt Sharia), or violently (like al-Qaeda). Either way I plan on resisting, because the end result will be the same. What about the rest of you?

Fucking crazy barbarians. Jesus christ! If you want to get pissed off at a bunch of brutal, barbaric, pig-headed ignorant c#nts, read this:

edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiap … l?iref=NS1

Look at the poor dad’s pic, too. He may be an ignorant simpleton, himself, but imagine the pain he feels having witnessed the repeated brutal violations of his little girl.

:fume:

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Oh those wacky Wahabbist Saudis !

[/quote][/quote]
I have never decided which was more boring a read the Quaran or Meinkampf. Meinkampf I would like to change it to “My struggle to stay awake while reading it”. The Quaran was certainly the more hateful of the two and after a while despite the hateful rantings I also felt the urge to sleep.
However, I read them both in English not their original languages. I have heard that the Quaran is very different and much more poetic when read in Arabic.

Now I am not a religious man believing in evolution but I have to say the Bible has them both totally beat in terms of creative writing and interest.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Fucking crazy barbarians. Jesus christ! If you want to get pissed off at a bunch of brutal, barbaric, pig-headed ignorant c#nts, read this:

edition.CNN.com/2011/WORLD/asiap … l?iref=NS1

Look at the poor dad’s pic, too. He may be an ignorant simpleton, himself, but imagine the pain he feels having witnessed the repeated brutal violations of his little girl.

:fume:[/quote]
That’s just plain disgusting. So the girl gets raped and then beat to death for having an affair? At least the iman who ordered the decree was arrested. I hope they get guy for the rape too, though there would be something much more satisfying about him receiving 201 lashes he escaped.

Not to take away from the humanity of this story at all, but I can’t help but think this says a great deal about how little control many governments have. We may say Bangladesh’s government is progressive, but tribal rulers still have the kind of power that actually effects people’s daily lives. In India, there is still slavery and the government can’t do anything about it. Afghanistan is still run by tribes and probably will be for years to come. The examples are endless. We live in this fantasy world where we think progressive governments are the end-all, but it’s only a beginning.

Sad, sad, story.

Spoken like a bunch of true sinners, you lot! You’ve got it all wrong. Islam is a religion of peace.

Oops … wrong prediction … you should start thinking about going to another soothsayer …

[quote=“suiyuan31”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]Fucking crazy barbarians. Jesus christ! If you want to get pissed off at a bunch of brutal, barbaric, pig-headed ignorant c#nts, read this:

edition.CNN.com/2011/WORLD/asiap … l?iref=NS1

:fume:[/quote]
That’s just plain disgusting. So the girl gets raped and then beat to death for having an affair? At least the iman who ordered the decree was arrested. I hope they get guy for the rape too, though there would be something much more satisfying about him receiving 201 lashes he escaped.

Not to take away from the humanity of this story at all, but I can’t help but think this says a great deal about how little control many governments have. We may say Bangladesh’s government is progressive, but tribal rulers still have the kind of power that actually effects people’s daily lives. In India, there is still slavery and the government can’t do anything about it. Afghanistan is still run by tribes and probably will be for years to come. The examples are endless. We live in this fantasy world where we think progressive governments are the end-all, but it’s only a beginning.

Sad, sad, story.[/quote]

Just take away his ticket to 72 virgins by plugging a pig dick in his …