Shipping to/from Taiwan

Heads up - shipping rates from Taiwan for EMS and parcel post have changed (as of October). Now, in addition to weight, the post office will measure the box’s dimensions. For a largish box that doesn’t weigh much, you can get hammered. You can dig around the postal service’s website for the rates:

post.gov.tw/post/internet/u_ … ?ID=210106

Here’s the kicker, from one of the footnotes for the rate table for international parcel post to Europe or NA:

“The postage rates are based on the greater of the volumetric weight or the 1.5 multiple of actual weight. (Effective Oct. 23, 2008)”

I tried to call the post office, but no English…

Would Chunghua accept a 20kg suitcase? I can’t find anything about whether the contents have to be on their packaging or they would accept the case as is.

Thanks in advance!

[quote=“Pommygirl”]I tried to call the post office, but no English…

Would Chunghua accept a 20kg suitcase? I can’t find anything about whether the contents have to be on their packaging or they would accept the case as is.

Thanks in advance![/quote]
You can check the DHL price here

dhl.com.tw/twapps/price/exp-price-e.asp

Ask where you work if they can book the shipment for you with their preferred carrier if you pay them cash. They usually have a ~25% discount.

Here’s a pretty awesome guide on mailing stuff to and from Taiwan.

http://www.glowfishtw.com/postoffice.asp

I have looked through the topics and haven’t found an answer to my specific need, so if it is answered way back when I am sorry to ask again.

I am craving a real BBQ/Smoker out here. I have looked at having one custom made out of 5mm thick stainless steel, but I question the quality of the welds and materials used. They also are questioning why they would even make one, even if I am willing to pay for it, they doubt they can build it to my specs.

I want to order a BBQ from the USA, but it weighs in at around 70-100kg, the box is 70L X 35W X 35H inches (178 cm x 90cm x 90 cm.)

The grill costs around 700 USD (23,000 NTD). barbecue-smoker-grill.com/cism.html

Are there any shippers that will ship this for me from the USA? I can have it drop shipped anywhere in the USA. I am willing to get it picked up at the port, but I would prefer a door shipment.

It is above any postal shipping allowances, and UPS/DHL and FedEx won’t even touch it for less than 25,000 NTD.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Try www.u-bag.com
I have sent well over 200kgs of stuff with them… Taiwan to the UK, UK to Ireland, and then BACK.
A one-way journey with 200kgs Kaohsiung to London door-to-door was only 30K NT$.
Your 70kg parcel should come in a lot cheaper than that.

:slight_smile:

Here’s a conundrum!

How does one ship from an international location TO Taiwan? The question is often asked the other way around.

Now, to make the problem stickier, what if there isn’t a destination address? Ha! You’re shaking your head, thinking that doesn’t make sense. Well, you’d be right. :loco:

So how is it done? I have considered reserving a room at a guesthouse and shipping there in the hope that the parcels will be waiting when I arrive. But that’s dodgy. :bulb: What’s another idea?

You could send things to the poste restante counter of a post office here. Just be sure to pick them up within two months.

That is effing brilliant!

I have a question - I want to ship to SA. Will it get there safely and in one piece? Any advice? I know not to ship electronics home, I will never see them again, but other things like books etc… Thanks in advance!

It should make it, make sure you bubble wrap and pack the heck out of it. Especially stuff you truely care about. Water damage, wrap everything in plastic bags, and then pack it, bubble wrap, double boxing, etc. Never shipped stuff to SA before, but this is my standard shipping practice for anything valuable.

10char

Thanks! Just bought a lot of bubble wrap (maybe too much) and will get on it! The info on double boxing is great - never thought of that!

I’ve been browsing through the shipping-related threads here but it’s clear there’s been some changes in the way international delivery works here, particularly the loss of surface/ship delivery over, say, several weeks. I’m moving with my wife back to the UK and we’re not taking a huge amount of stuff, maybe four or five boxes each about 38x43x30cm (ie, about the size of the cardboard box a desktop printer comes in). The impression I’m getting is the cost of shipping even that might cost gajillions of TD’s if you can’t find the right shipping company or delivery service.

So as of February 2010, for shipping a relatively small amount of items by the cheapest route possible, where you don’t care how long it takes, what are the current best options? I’ve been checking out www.shipit.com and Allied Pickfords (who have a Taipei office and from which members of staff have occasionally posted here), but if there’s anyone else worth sounding out or something I might have missed, I’d appreciate it if someone could let me know.

The annoying thing about this situation is that it’s the UK’s fault - they changed the arrival port (or something) for surface mail and so it, for some reason best known to no-one who would answer my questions, meant that surface parcels could no longer be sent from TW. Bloomin’ infuriating.

Which companies have you tried and found extortionate so far? I’ll be in the same position in November/December, although with less than half the amount of stuff to send back, but we don’t want to waste money or even time duplicating research. Also, most of the stuff you find seems to be focused on getting stuff to the US, not Europe. :frowning:

I’m wondering if larger boxes would work out better? Have you tried that quote?

Someone mentioned Crown to me a while back too, have you tried them yet? Or DHL? We DHL-ed to here through a UK company who does a deal with them for better rates, but sadly, Taiwan is not on their ‘collect from’ list. :cry:

Please share what you find out so others can benefit as well. Many thanks!

I’ve been contacting folk for quotes. The only on-line one that seemed good was TNT. Might be worth your looking up as well. I’ll let you know when I hear back from the other 3.

Has anyone left Taiwan and moved their belongings back home by freight? what are the ball park figures? Say if I just get a fraction of a container and packed my stuff in it…

The freight forwarders come over and pack everything and take it back and put it all in crates. Its very expensive. I think people only do it if their companies are paying for it. Think 10,000 USD and up, maybe way up. Depends on how much stuff you got.

Say if I simply pack the stuff myself and ships it by sea (other than the post office) will it be much more than the regular postal rate for the equivalent weight? I don’t really have that much.

IMHO you will do better to pack it yourself in boxes provided ( sold) by the post office and send it by the post office. Thats your cheapest option.

the MOST expensive option is the freight forwarders, called VAN lines. These are the people who move a whole house of belongings. But as i said before their services are VERY expensive. I know, cuz in the early days I worked briefly for one such company.

If you have stuff you can ship via the post office , thats the cheapest. Fedex and the likes are more then the Post Office usually.