Shipping to/from Taiwan

[quote=“dumas”]This topic has come up once or twice before:

Shipping From Taiwan to International Locations:
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … ght=moving](... cheap shipping overseas
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … ght=moving](How do you ship personal goods back to your home country?
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … ght=moving](Overseas shipping sevices
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … ernational](Shipping stuff home

[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … ernational](Do any of the shipping companies accept partial containers?

Shipping to Taiwan:
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … t=shipping](Moving and Shipping options from US, DC area to Taiwan
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … ght=moving](Buying stuff outside of Taiwan and shipping it in?
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … t=shipping](International Shipper U.S. to Taiwan?

US Global Mail
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … t=shipping](US Global Mail: anyone familiar with their services?

where can I find list: taiwanease.com/theknowledge/inde … _I_find%3F

Bike Shipping:
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … ght=moving](Shipping/Freight Company in Taichung?
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … t=shipping](A Shipping Company...Shipping Bicycles

Moving Boxes:
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … ght=moving](Large Moving Boxes - Kaohsiung
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … t=shipping

Storage:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … ght=moving

Shipping Oversized Items:
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … ght=moving](Shipping awkward or oversized objects overseas: How?

Posts with no replies:
Storage Related:
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … ght=moving](Container Space!
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … ght=moving
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … t=shipping](Personal storage / warehousing in/near Keelung?
International Moving/Shipping (Household/Furniture):
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … ght=moving](Intl Moving/Shipping Company Wanted
Moving Carts:
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … ght=moving](Moving carts
Moving Supplies (Large Plastic Bags):
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … ght=moving](Moving supplies store?

SEE ALSO: tealit.com/shipping.shtml[/quote]

Thanks to dumas for compiling that list.

As both Dumas and Rascal mentioned this topic has been raised many times in the past.

In an effort to meet this apparent need as well as helping fellow forumosans, my company NAC International is now offering a moving and personal effects service. This is designed for primarily for those moving house, rather than just a couple of items, as these are generally still best sent through the post office etc, it is the cheapest option.

Anyone requiring rates for moving etc, then in the first instance either pm me or contact us through the contact page on our website, detailed in my signature.

We will be cheaper than the International Moving firms as they are normally very expensive, but we do expect you to do some of the work yourself, although we will of course advise as to what is required.

does anyone have any experience with this? I would like to have the guitar here in 2 weeks… any way getting around paying tax coming into taiwan? please let me know.

thanks.

From experience, it is difficult to avoid paying customs tax on instruments; I’ve had three instruments shipped to Taiwan, and have had to pay twice.

The one time I didn’t pay was when I had a guitar shipped via UPS from the States, and I’m not quite sure why – the package was clearly marked as a guitar. Usually the carrier contacts you and informs you of the tax, which you’ll have to pay on delivery.

One thing you could do, is to have the sender label it as something else – you’d have to check on the different tax categories at customs to figure out the cheapest. But this won’t be possible, if you want to purchase shipping insurance (which you should do if it is valuable or of high personal value)

One thing you might want to know – the tax is lower on electric guitars/instruments than acoustics.

if it’s an electric, have someone remove the neck, bridge, tuning machines etc. and you can import it as “guitar parts” which is much cheaper than “instrument” import tax, if they even tax you at all… smaller packaging too… then re-assemble on arrival…

Assuming the neck can be unbolted of course. If it’s this Les Paul, then that’s a no-go:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … highlight=

not necessarily… :uhhuh:

Try undervaluing it so the tax is less.

how much are we talking to ship a les paul?? the two week version would be best. any preferred shipper… from canada?

thanks again.

[quote=“bradandjack”]how much are we talking to ship a les paul?? the two week version would be best. any preferred shipper… from canada?

thanks again.[/quote]

If its someone shipping it rather than a company (who won’t undervalue or misdeclare under any circumstances!!! unless its some asian country…) then have the guy strip the guitar of all parts, like pickup, tuner, stuff… ship it as guitar parts using postal service… never had a shipment taxed from the post office for some reason.

Had a few shipments from Warmoth, one by UPS which was taxed on the spot no matter what, and the same thing shipped USPS not taxed.

Well the US Postal Service got rid of the Surface Shipping option. This option was way cheaper than the Air Shipping option but takes like 2 to 3 months to get to a destination.

Now we get our junk in 2 weeks and pay a premium (usually more than the items that are shipped).

Reading through these threads, there seems to be no clear answer to a simple question:

If shipping some cartons (say 3 or 4 boxes that weigh about 10 pounds each) from the USA, what is the best option if you can wait a month or two to get them?

Thanks.

[quote=“Tomas”]Reading through these threads, there seems to be no clear answer to a simple question:

If shipping some cartons (say 3 or 4 boxes that weigh about 10 pounds each) from the USA, what is the best option if you can wait a month or two to get them?

Thanks.[/quote]

I’d say, in the simplest terms:
a) the cheapest you can find among USPS, UPS, DHL, etc.
b) if you live near a port city - and or a large city… find a freight forwarder … and let them know that you’ve got X pounds of crap you want delivered for the cheapest possible price to Taiwan. They may have the ability to add it to a container.

I got a stupid question :slight_smile:
I need to send some stuff back to France, at the post office, the guy ask me to choose between “AIR MAIL” or “SURFACE” ?
I suppose the “airmail” stuff is by plane :bravo: but what the “surface” stuff means ? The guy didn’t spoke english, I couldn’t understand what he said (and he probably didn’t understand my question)

[quote=“xwizex”]I got a stupid question :slight_smile:
I need to send some stuff back to France, at the post office, the guy ask me to choose between “AIR MAIL” or “SURFACE” ?
I suppose the “airmail” stuff is by plane :bravo: but what the “surface” stuff means ? The guy didn’t spoke english, I couldn’t understand what he said (and he probably didn’t understand my question)[/quote]

Surface means by land and sea.

Thanks Indiana, it was a stupid question, sorry about that :wink:

[quote=“Tomas”]Reading through these threads, there seems to be no clear answer to a simple question:

Thanks.[/quote]

The cheapest that I found from US to Taiwan (or other international location) is to use their flat rate international priority box. The weight limit is 20LB, but the size is limited to their box. The smaller boxes cost about $40 and the large boxes cost about $50 and it will get to Taiwan in less than 2 weeks.

There might be cheaper solution from US Postal, but I have never checked.

[quote=“maybin”]Well the US Postal Service got rid of the Surface Shipping option. This option was way cheaper than the Air Shipping option but takes like 2 to 3 months to get to a destination.

Now we get our junk in 2 weeks and pay a premium (usually more than the items that are shipped).[/quote]

Incase you didn’t see my other post, petitiononline.com/USPSISM/petition.html

What about the cost of importing small items like electronic goods? Is there a note anywhere of how much it actually costs to, say, buy something online and import it, and whether you’ll be hit with import tax and how much it’s likely to be?

DHL has changed the way that it serves the US.

dhl-usa.com/restructuring/index.asp

If your shipping to a major hub area its not a big deal but when you get outside the major areas they will turn the packages over to the post office.