Shipping to/from Taiwan

Taiwan EMS is always a good option for relatively small amounts.

When moving from Singapore to Taiwan I used 2 DHL Express Pallets. Total was around $20000 for 200kg door to door. Didn’t include customs charges.

dhl.com.tw/en/express/export … inite.html

We are shipping 22 boxes of personal effects and a King Size bed frame, boxspring and mattress from Vancouver to Taoyuan for a total of 950.00 CAD. The name of the outfit is interocean.

we recently moved to China from Taiwan and we had about 15 moving boxes to ship - we used this company:
james-ex.com/

Although I know shipping from Taiwan to China is not as expensive than say to the US or even UK, I believe the price was still fair. 44 nt$ per kg (we had about 300 kg…)
It took only 5 business days to arrive to our door. Overall a good experience.

The website is in chinese, I can’t seem to find it in english, but I do know one of the people working there speaks fairly good english, so it shouldn’t be hard to get a quote of your goods.
On our receipt there is also a number for their taipei office which is: 02-25000556

Cheers,
tine

Try looking for local student groups. My girlfriend found me a shipping group posting their stuff back home to Taiwan from Newcastle and it was £35 a box for 30kg which I thought was really fair.

They don’t crate everything. Only big Porcelein and mirrors and stuff you find valuable. Crating is expensive. Surprisingly, we moved from Beijing to Taipei without crating anything and we didn’t lose a tea cup!!! good luck I guess.

Can you please explain?? Why is it a scam?? Do you think people don’t get reimbursed? If so then I won’t insure EVERYTHING, and limit it to good items only.

Has anybody here used Steven the mover? How was your experience?

[quote=“TwoTongues”]You mentioned Fedex being cheaper, I Fedexed 8 boxes of mostly clothes and shit (yes, literally gobs of shit) from my place near DC to Taipei when I first came here a few years ago. Each box was roughly US$300, I paid $2400 plus customs. Yes customs. They made me itemize every item in those boxes, assign some value to it, and charged me tax on my used clothes! Those fuckers!

Just to give you an idea on Fedex. And Taiwan customs.[/quote]

You did the customs form wrong. I have shipped a few sensitive things when coming from Germany via fedex and there was no Tax. I insured it, but I marked the customs value as 0 and items as personal belongings. You also need to not give them authorization to pay the customs for you. That way you can go to the customs office and show proof it is moving related/used items.

If you’re looking to do it cheaply I would suggest sea freight, and booking it by the pallet.

I did some research into shipping a pallet from LA to Taipei, and it was around $600USD. If you use sea freight there is no weight limit, you’re only limited by the volume of the stacked pallet.

I think I spelt pallet wrong.

Anyone had any recent experience with how long it takes a surface parcel to reach South Africa from Taiwan?

I am having an acoustic guitar shipped to Taiwan from the U.S. via UPS and was wondering if anyone knew the tax rate I would be paying. I read 5% on some threads.

Also, I read on some other threads that sometimes shipped items are held at the airport customs because “ADDITIONAL IMPORT DOCUMENTATION IS REQUIRED FOR CLEARANCE.” Has anyone dealt with this before?

Dunno but if you have a chance to bring one in as carry-on luggage and don’t declare it (as I did tonight) you might get away with it.

I think that in such a case your carrier, like UPS, would then contact you for a copy of your identification then go clear the item(s); I’ve had items held up for an additional day or three in such instances. If it’s a normal retail item like a guitar I can’t imagine it would be anything more convoluted.

I brought a guitar (a cheapo no-name one) as a carry-on from the US to Taiwan, and no customs official batted an eye. No duty was paid.

I’ve brought in brand-new still in the box guitars, mandolins, saxophones and bouzoukis and have never had to pay anything. Dunno about shipping, though.

Things sent by private mail services like UPS seem to invariably get charged duties when valued over about $3000 NT, while those sent by government services like USPS often don’t, at least in Taibei. Posters in some other locations have reported differently. So you might consider specifying Canadian government post with the seller.

Good to know; thanks DB.

From the Other Side:

I had 8 boxes, varying from medium to large size, and dropped a total of $11,000NT to ship (I guess surface meant by container ship?). It took about 6 weeks to go from Taichung to N.Y…

All 8 boxes made it back, though most were literally held together by threads (and durable plastic straps/tape - all added on by US and/or Taiwanese shippers, I guess).

You can do this from any post office, and along the lines of a previous poster: be sure to bag your items up, use thick boxes (I hit all the local supermarkets to do so; the post office should also have boxes on premises), tape and reinforce the box any/all ways possible.

P.S. After 7 years living and loving in the 'Wan, but now stateside (again) … I’m about ready to box myself up and go right back.

I’m really miffed I used to ship a ton of books and CD’s via the M-bag and surface mail. Now I get sick looking at the cost my Dad has to pay just to send a children’s board book here as a birthday gift via Air Mail.

I just see a lot of fragmented discussion here. Is there an affordable replacement for surface mail? What happened to the out-cry? What are all those ships doing that used to carry surface mail?
I want to buy several books and a few DVD’s that I think I can only purchase in the states.
Let’s gather all the information about shipping to and from Taiwan for different needs and classifications that we have.(EX: Shipping books and small products to Moving your household) and put it into an editable document on a Google Docs or something like that.

i use USPS both ways, from states to Taiwan, no issue so far, my only complaint is that USPS is kind of slow in delivering, but cheap

I am shipping an electric hot pot back to the US just through the regular ol’ Post - seems like a good deal to me - I was going to tape every inch of the box together…think it’ll make it?

I’m preparing for a move to Korea in 2 months (the paperwork is horrible) and I’m assuming that shipping with the post office is the cheapest for two or three 10 to 15 kg boxes. Is there a max weight? Is there a size limit (for example a bike)? In a week or two I’ll visit with a Chinese speaking roommate and find out cost/kg since that will ultimately be a factor in what I ship and what I sell.

FYI - unrelated but the cost for USPS Priority to Taiwan works out to about $5.50/lb IIRC for heavier packages.